connecting a car navigation — TomTom Community

connecting a car navigation

Hi,
My car has a navigation GO5100. the former owner of the car has still his email address in my drive, so now it looks like it is not possible for mee to connect and to update maps. Connecting to my computer does not work either,
has anyone a solution?
Tagged:

Answers

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 6,888
    Superuser
    Hi @alamons

You need to do a Factory Reset.

Tap Menu
    Tap Settings
    Tap System
    Tap Reset Device.

This will remove all the previous owners data and return the unit to the Out of the Box situation. You will then be offered the chance to set the unit up , Language and Account Details etc, and then it will be tagged to your account. The current Operating System and Maps versions on the unit will not be changed. All the updates and Lifetime services that are applicable to the device remain with the unit so it should get the map updates etc when issued .

Does the unit have a extra memory card in it as you will need that if you want the full European Map loaded as it is too big for the units internal memory. If not then a Micro SD Class 10 size 16gb or max 32gb is recommended and preferably Sandisk, Samsung or similar major make.

One tip is if the device only has one map on it then go into Maps/Add a map and select a small map from those listed, Venezuela or Iraq are suggested, and if you can load it on the internal memory. This is to help you should you be updating your main map and there being some interruption that result in the map being lost. The little map enables you to run the unit normally and so it is easier to sort the problem.

Doug
  • alamonsalamons Posts: 3 [New Seeker]
    Hi Doug,

Thanks for the tip. Mydrive is successfully connected. The only problem now is that my computer does not recognize the tom tom and leaves a failure notice.
    is there a solution for this?

Andreas
  • alamonsalamons Posts: 3 [New Seeker]
    hi Doug,
    problem solved with original usb cable
    Superuser
    Hi @alamons

Glad you are sorted.

Doug
  • Mariyan1234Mariyan1234 Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I have the same issue/ I tried the fix shown in and https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360013900240-Navigation-device-not-connecting-to-computer-MyDrive-Connect- bit did not work. I tried with factory reset but it did not solve the issue. Do you have any other suggestions ?

Superuser
    edited September 2020
    Hi @Mariyan1234

In your other post you indicate that you have a GO6200. If that is the case then you only need to use a PC in special circumstances.

Your Wifi is slow and so you can connect to the Internet using a PC with My Drive Connect software on it.

Or you do not have Wifi , maybe for health reasons, and so again you connect to the internet using the PC.

The important thing to understand that when you connect a Wifi device like the GO6200 to your PC which has My Drive Connect running on it you cannot manage what happens from the PC you have to use the menu options in the GO6200 to install updates etc. All you will see on the PC is a screen suggesting you do things the easy way by Wifi.

https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1034265/updating-your-navigation-device-using-wi-fi/p1?new=1

Doug