Route wont recalculate — TomTom Community

Route wont recalculate

David_HarrissonDavid_Harrisson Posts: 20 [Master Explorer]
Hey all.....
Now, I have read lots of stuff in the tomtom discussion community on this subject but its still not clear so I ask for a simple explanation.
Today I had planned a "route" on the mydrive app. On this route ihad place a couple of stops to ensure the path i wanted was followed..... at one point i deviated rom the exact path but the 550 would not recalculate...it only wanted to back to a bit of street that i was well past....... surely there is a simple solution.....

Comments

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 17,064
    Superusers
    Hi
    @David_Harrisson
    GPX Track... Is basically a bread crumb track that you follow....
    You could use.... Tap 4Dot (....) Menu → Current Track... Drive to Track (Should take you to the nearest access point to rejoin your track)

I prefer .ITN Routes....
    A Route planned directly on the device is a .ITN Route
    An .ITN Route uses Stops and the device plans the route between the stops... An .ITN Route will respond to Live Traffic and any route deviations BUT an .ITN route will doggedly follow the stops in the order they were created, if you miss a stop, the device will continuously attempt to guide you to the missed stop... You have to cancel the problem stop on the device to avoid it

If you want to force a different .ITN Route you simply add more stops
    Note...When you add the extra Stops Max Zoom right into the road
    Don't put the stop on the wrong side of a dual track road (Journey loop back errors)
    Don't put the stop up a side-road... It may guide you though a built-up area via side streets back to your route, instead of a U-turn
    Don't put the stop on a traffic Island always place a guidance stop further up road on the route after the required traffic island exit...

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • David_HarrissonDavid_Harrisson Posts: 20 [Master Explorer]
    edited July 16
    Thanks Yamfaz......

So, if I had planned todays ride on the device itself (rather than the Mydrive app) with a couple of "stops" , when i deviated off the route thru a small town it would have recalculated rather than try to make me go back to a missed track point?
    PS...thanks for the prompt reply... I am in Torquay , Australia....where are you?
    Superusers
    edited July 16
    Hi
    @David_Harrisson
    I'm in Worcestershire UK

An .ITN route will doggedly follow the stops in the order they were created, if you miss a stop, the device will continuously attempt to guide you to the missed stop....

There are 2 options... With a .ITN Route planned....
    Tap the 4Dot (....) Icon —> Current Route —> Skip next stop....
    Or
    Tap the direction of travel icon above the + & - sign

v2l2yakk927z.png
    Quick tap on the problematic Stop
    A quick menu opens... Tap the 3Dot Icon ‘Delete Stop’
    Note... A 'Quick Tap' and 'Long Tap' (+ 1 second) on the screen gives different menu options....

Maybe Useful....
    See... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1713831/#Comment_1713831

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
    Thanks mate....
    I have found a work around...
    In the mydrive app or the internet site, once a route is laid out select "send stops" and not "save to routes.
    Then, on your device, you can open the file sent via wifi and either follow it or save it to routes.....either option makes it a "route" rather than a "track" ....
    Saving it directly to "my routes" from the app seems to automatically turn it into a track.
    Superusers
    edited July 16
    Hi :)
    I've just sent you a link to my 'How to guide' post and workaround ;)
    ATB YFM
    Thanks mate...cheers
    So here's the result of testing.....

I planned the same path of travel with the same intermediate stop twice on the mydrive app. I then drove it all twice using the two methods below as guidance.

1...I loaded this path to the rider 550 via wifi by tapping the "save to my routes" and "sync with device" buttons. This then saved it as a track rather than a route which means that, between stops, if you wander off path then it wants to take you back to where you left the path rather than recalculate a path to the next stop.

2....I loaded the same path with the same stop by tapping the "send stops" button instead of the "sync with device" button. This transferred the path as a true "route".... what this means is that, between stops, if you wander off path it will recalculate a path to the next stop. Because it is now a route, rather than a track, you can now see a button that will allow you to skip the next stop if you like and it will recalulate a path to the stop following.

So in reality the "sync with device" buton really is a "send as track to my device" and the "send stops" button really is a "send as route to my device"

Why does matter? If you want to follow a path entirely and without deviation use tracks (sync with my device) .....if you want to hit certain stops but have the device recalculate along the way if you take a detour then use routes (send stops)
    Correction......the app does say "sync this route as a track with my device"..... its the "send stops" button that needs a better description from my point of view as it really is sending a route.....
    Superusers
    Hi
    See my post on the same subject....
    Here... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1714337/#Comment_1714337

Stay Safe... ATB YFM