How do I return new satnav — TomTom Community

How do I return new satnav

marchendmarchend Posts: 132 [Renowned Wayfarer]
Received new GO Premium X yesterday and set it up and fully updated it today. Am already fed up with it and want to return it for a refund. But like everything to do with TomTom it's impossible to find any details on how to.

The little printed slip that came with the TomTom gives you a web address and code number for returns, but that's about as much use as a chocolate tea pot.

Whatever I do with the satnav causes it to keeps freezing, the useless piece of cr*p. The voice control hardly ever understands instructions and the microphone keeps turning off. Thank goodness I still have my trusty old GO600!

So if anyone can help out with how to return it would be appreciated.

Answers

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 19,215
    Superusers
    Hi
    @marchend
    Due to COVID-19 the phone service has been suspended
    For Tomtom Support Email or Chat lines (Normal Office Hours)....
    The way of contacting Customer Services has changed
    See... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1711834#Comment_1711834/p1

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • marchendmarchend Posts: 132 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    Thanks YamFazMan

The problem with Chat is it is never, and I mean never available. It's as if they've put up the 'busy' sign and just gone home and left the cat in charge. Very poor.

I'm fed up with businesses milking Covid as an excuse not provide a service. Your either open or your not. They're all quick enough to take your money but when you need assistance you have to wait and wait or jump through hoops.
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 19,215
    Superusers
    edited July 2020
    Hi
    @marchend
    Maybe Try Email....

ATB YFM
    Thanks YamFazMan

Email would be good if like the rest of TomTom communication I could find it. As it happens I managed to use Niall's instructions to find the contact page.
    edited July 2020
    Does anyone know roughly how long it takes TomTom support to reply to either an online form or email support request please.

They have auto confirmed that they have received my messages and that they will get back to me soon. But does that mean today, this week, month or year?
  • TaviSueTaviSue Posts: 4 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Hi Marchend

I, like you, have recently purchased a TomTom GO Premium X and have had nothing but problems with it.

My old GO 5200 worked perfectly in my car and I have never had any issues with it.

Now I have spent a lot of money for a device that is not fit for purpose. There is quite definitely a serious problem somewhere as it is not advising me of current average speed limits in the correct places (but it picked up 2 where they don't exist) and it didn't even pick up on some 20mph zones in 2 areas that have had them for at least 4-5 months.

In addition to that, the satellite link takes ages to locate a route from My Places and the device simply switches off at will whilst I am driving and then tells me there are updates available. Fat lot of use when I don't know where I am going and am faced with a blank screen!!!

I am using the equipment that Tomtom supplied - i.e. cables, charger and windscreen mount and nothing in my car has changed, yet the device doesn't function as it should. Odd that the GO 5200 worked fine in the same car. Methinks the problem is with this new model satnav.

As you have found out, it is nigh on impossible to contact Tomtom. The chat lines are never available, they have suspended their phone service (COVID-19 is cited as the reason - yet most other companies are managing to trade and offer phone support) and I have even tried e-mailing but am still waiting for a proper response.

I e-mailed them on 09 July with a specific question. They only responded on 15 July and the staff member who responded was quite obviously not an English speaker and simply sent me a totally unrelated link to their website.

I therefore asked them to contact me again (this was on 18 July) but, to date, no-one has bothered to do so.

Earlier this evening I sent them a further urgent e-mail as I now want to return the satnav to them because it has failed in every manner possible. If they do not respond, I fully intend to contact the national press and as many chat rooms and forums as I can to warn people against ever using Tomtom.

I will also be contacting my credit card provider tomorrow to find out how to cancel the transaction and, if I can find an address for Tomtom, I will be writing to them to notify them that I wish to return the device (not that they will receive a letter either but, short of driving round the UK and shouting at their office if they have one with a megaphone, I don't know how else I can communicate with them as everything thus far has failed to elicit a response).

Please don't give up. As a consumer, you have the right to demand a service from a supplier and, if you don't receive that service, you are within your rights to return the product and demand a full refund. Good luck.
  • ecqecq Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Hi Forum. I too have just received a new satnav, GO Basic, as Tomtom no longer supports my GO LIVE 1000. I am not impressed with the new one - it is not of the same calibre as my previous device, neither in features nor manufacturing quality, and I wish to return it. Since I have not fully unpacked it either, and the plastic is still on all screens, this presumably should not be a problem. Credit card supplier might be a good place to start? (Strange, I have had good support from Tomtom in the past - clunky software, but always got there in the end. Disappointed. :-/
  • go_suprgo_supr Posts: 4 [Master Traveler]
    edited October 2020
    Buggy software, slow and unreliable performance, doesn't retain paired device and requires resetting and re-configuring everything from the beginning, every day or multiple times a day. Support blames it on too frequent updates of the iOS or Android. However I would ask: Aren't you supposed to be ahead and develop your product interoperability with the future or beta versions of iOS? Do you have Quality Control department that supposed to certify every General Release to the public? I know these questions won't be answered... As won't be answere the question "How to return my device and get my money back?"
  • RickBrownRickBrown Posts: 14 [Master Explorer]
    I have found no way to contact them other than submitting a ticket.
    I've just lost 10 hours of my life trying to tether my new TomTom to a modern Samsung phone, with no joy.
    Back to Garmin for me.
    Rick.
  • Dop21Dop21 Posts: 1 [New Traveler]
    Hi Guys.
    Has somebody managed to resolved problem with contact to TomTom or even to return money back?
    We have just faced with fact that there is no way to contact with tomtom . I would like to return sat nav back to them. I changed my mind to use it because don"t need it any more. i even haven't got sat nav yet by delivery from Tom Tom.
    My mind to cancel use Tom Tom is confirmed by the facts of no possibility to return product and poore Tom Tom supportment regarding cases i read above.
    If somebody got contact with them, please share this information. Thank you