MyDrive Connect - tap 'continue and nothing happens' — TomTom Community

MyDrive Connect - tap 'continue and nothing happens'

Sara220768Sara220768 Posts: 3 [New Seeker]
Hello! My satnav keeps malfunctioning - it randomly goes to sleep while I'm using it, or flicking between the map and the 'going to sleep' message', even when it's charging, and I thought it might be the battery, so paid to have it changed - but it hasn't solved the problem.

Now I think it might be because I can't update it. I've been trying to update it for a year. I go to Mydrive Connect, click on install updates, get the message that there isn't enough space, and try to free up space by selecting the smallest possible map area. I get the message 'this map fits on your device', tap 'continue', and nothing - nothing happens. What should I do?
Tagged:

Answers

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 7,702
    Superuser
    Hi @Sara220768

Have you added an extra memory card? If not then add a Micro SD class 10 memory card either 16gb or maximum.32gb . This will allow the updated map tp be loaded there as the 8gb internal memory has not got enough space left. Maps are getting bigger and bigger such that for example the Fully European map is now over 9GB.

Doug
  • Sara220768Sara220768 Posts: 3 [New Seeker]
    Hi Doug, thank you for your reply. I didn't mention in my post that I don't want to add a memory card - that might indeed solve the problem, but I don't want to spend ££ on a memory card that I don't need. I only need Southwestern Europe without buildings, which is a much smaller map than the one originally on my satnav. I should be able to install it. I've just deleted my original map and found how to install Southwestern Europe, it started then I got the message 'your satnav isn't responding', then 'you have to install at least one map', then I disconnected and reconnected it, and got the message 'updating', 39 minutes to go currently. I have no idea if 'updating' means 'installing the Southwestern Europe map that I asked it to install' or 'updating the map I originally had' - I'll find out I guess. Sara
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 19,215
    Superusers
    Hi
    @Sara220768
    Sara220768 wrote: »
    Hello! My satnav keeps malfunctioning - it randomly goes to sleep while I'm using it, or flicking between the map and the 'going to sleep' message', even when it's charging, and I thought it might be the battery, so paid to have it changed - but it hasn't solved the problem (Snip)
    Further to Doug's post....
    Is the Tomtom Power Adapter a tight sliding fit in the power socket ???
    Some uses have reported some cars as having none standard oversize power sockets and the power adapter connection is randomly losing and remaking contact....

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
    Superuser
    Hi @Sara220768

You can get a 16gb card from Amazon for about £6. The benefit is that with your 8gb of internal memory and putting everything on it you are reducing the available free memory that it needs for operating purposes. It is recommended that you have a minimum of 400MB of free memory at all times as less than that will affect the performance of the unit to the point of failing. You are already trying to take off stuff and as maps move on you will have more and more difficulty doing that . Moving the map to the extra memory card, which it will do itself, frees up loads of internal memory which is good for operational purposes and probably speeding it up..

One other benefit, if you have not already done so, is it leaves space for you to add a small map. If you add say Venezuela frmo the world maps to the unit it is very small and will be almost hidden on your internal memory. The benefit is that if you have a problem during an update of your main map and lose it the small map helps you run the device normally and void the No Map Found situation and restoring the lost map is easier.

Doug
  • Sara220768Sara220768 Posts: 3 [New Seeker]
    Ok Doug, you’ve sold me on the idea of a memory card, just ordered. Let’s see if updating the satnav stops the problem of its randomly cutting out even while charging. Yes, Yamfazman, the connections are all standard and secure. Thank you both for your responses, Sara
    Superuser
    Hi @Sara220768

Don't think you will regret it. All the random performance is likely to be because if the limited available memory your unit have had.

Doug