How do i check the status of the battery - is it charging — TomTom Community

How do i check the status of the battery - is it charging

JohannesbelsebubbJohannesbelsebubb Posts: 6 [Apprentice Traveler]
Hi my new Rider 550 was on charge via my laptop for several hours. Out of the box, synched up with mydrive etc all good via the TomTom USB cable.

But when i tried to put it on my motorcycle to go for a ride yesterday. It shut down within seconds due to due to no charge. Yet when i connect it to the USB it fires up. I've had it on charge for a couple of hours now. Where can i check the battery status?

If you suggest l look at a screen. Can you please be more specific and provide menu options etc. I tried to make sense of a previous post but i am not familiar with the screen names so please tell me 'how to' from the home screen.

Thanks.

Best Answer

Answers

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 17,064
    Superusers
    edited July 14
    Hi
    @Johannesbelsebubb
    Welcome to the site...
    The PC USB Port only supplies around 500mA if your lucky or 0.5 Amp in old money :)

The Tomtom devices generally require around 1.2 Amps
    I sometimes use a iPhone charger

The Car NAV4 & NAV5 (Wi-Fi) devices have a 2-hour Battery life/use....
    The Tomtom recommended charging time....
    At least 2Hours

The Rider 4xx & 5xx have a 6hour Battery life/use....
    It will take much longer than 2 hours to fully charge a Rider 4xx & 5xx battery

368fa599-f465-4a45-9274-b2b29b56a6d1.jpg
    Full Charge...
    Displays when Connected or Not Connected Power supply

ebebfcff-7cf3-43d5-9479-ef4b7f2a85ed.jpg
    Half Charge...
    Only Displays when NOT Connected Power supply

5c45ac4c-1a65-45a0-9b3b-8b88879a94cc.jpg
    Low Battery...
    Only Displays when NOT Connected Power supply

3vgnno3tiwd3.jpg

One of the worst things you can do to a Lithium battery is to run it flat so at a certain percentage of discharge (Unspecified)... The device will go into 'Power Saving Mode' the screen will dull, and the device will eventually turn itself off (Not Sleep)

There is a Battery Status display available on the devices Status Screen
    Press and hold the on/off button until you hear a drum-roll sound continue to hold the on/off button... As soon as the Black & White Status screen displays release the power button.....
    c3623f43-813f-4ddf-9e35-af42824c5331.jpg
    If you are worrying about the device charging, you might consider one of these gadgets
    63a11bd6-9bcb-49ec-b71b-9223d7c334dd.jpgOr

b23e2fef-ffbf-4127-80b0-646533d6f987.jpg
    Simply plug the device into the USB socket and plug your lead into the USB Doctor, the device will display the Voltage and Power being used by your various USB devices
    I have one of each type they're only peanuts to buy, search Amazon/eBay for USB Doctor

When the device is fully charged the USB Doctor will display 0.00 Amps

ATB YFM
  • JohannesbelsebubbJohannesbelsebubb Posts: 6 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Thanks YFM. The boot screen only comes up momentarily and i can now see 17% charge. So i suspect it is that the port on my laptop can't push the require amps out to get over the impedance of the battery.
    My samsung plug in module i think is quite beefy. I'll pop the USB into that.

Cheers. David