GPRS is not working via sim card — TomTom Community

GPRS is not working via sim card

My brandnew ( 7 days old) GPS TomTom 5200 Go , is not helping me with traffic information because the sim card function or GPRS function is not activated or shows " disconnected". I read now ,after having those problems, that many customers have the same problem, but nobody finds a solution. The factory resets ( min. 5 I did) are not changing anything. i use the correct cables and I follow the instructions perfectly, but my GPS remains useless in traffic jam situations or in updating the tomtom services. Who can help me ?

Answers

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 17,064
    Superusers
    edited July 11
    Hi
    @Przod

Welcome to the site....

The restrictions as a result of the Coronavirus, Social Distancing and people working from home Is delaying the Activation of Accounts and the Allocation of Maps & Services to Account’/Devices....
    @VikramK or @lampard the Forum Moderators should pick this up on Monday and check/correct your Tomtom Account status.....

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • PrzodPrzod Posts: 10 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I have explained that I did those resettings numerous times and still the GPRS function is not working at all. No connection to the sim card. My device is a gift ( 10 days ago) and I can not go to any shop for a warranty. Please can you provide me with a warranty as I have send you my serial number. Thanks for your help.Jan
    This is a misery without any end. ..Getting the "best" GPS but no connection to traffic services or the simcard. This is no longer a GPS but just a tool bringing from A to B without any information about traffic jams or avoiding routes/alternatives !! I am getting very nervous in the car !PLEASE HELP ME
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 5,569
    Superuser
    Hi @Przod

Lets see what @VikramK has to say after he has had a look at the settings for your unit on their Servers. It looks like it has not set itself up correctly. Keep looking here for what he has to say.

Doug
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 9,886 Moderator
    Hi @Przod

Welcome to the community!

Are you using the device in Belgium?

Thanks. Vikram
    Hi, I have bought a new device today : the TOMTOM 5250 and i was hoping to have now immediately the traffic information but also : GPRS disconnected and no TomTOm traffic services. What a misery. I have spent over 550 euros and still no GPS working with the inserted simcard
    Yes my device is working from Belgium
    Do you need the serial number of my device ?
    edited July 16
    My serial number of the new advice is ZRxxxxxxx10 and I am located in Belgium.
    is the inserted simcard not working in Belgium.
    Can you change something directly for my advice, please do it as I am DESPERATE !! I get mad from TOMTOM services.
    The symbol of the 2 cars always show a X . Traffic service not available and also : GPRS is disconnected.
    How can you solve this today please as I need a GPS which helps me avoid traffic jams.
    Now the GPS brings me from A to B and puts me without information in long traffic jams. ...To get MAD !!

Mod edit: Please don't post private or personal information on a public forum. Thanks!
    Superuser
    Hi @Przod

This is a customer based forum not direct contact to Tomtom. I think there is an issue in Belgium via their =built sim.

If you phone has a personal hotspot facility could you try turn you Bluetooth off when in Belgium and connecting your Phones hotspot to the Wifi in the TT unit as you would connect your home wifi. I have used this facility to get Traffic when the inbuilt sim facility did not work for a short while for all users a couple of years ago.

Doug
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 9,886 Moderator
    Hi @Przod

We are currently having a problem with over-the-air services not working in Belgium.
    Our teams together with our service provider are looking into it.
    Unfortunately, I don't have a time frame on when this could be resolved. I am adding your device information to the existing ticket.

Thanks, Vikram
  • kompfkompf Posts: 1 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Hello, I also live in Belgium and have the same problem - GPRS always disconnected, can only get services when connected to home WiFi (not useful on the road...). GO 6200... Previously the same problem was resolved in January by action on the TomTom server side.
    Superuser
    Hi @kompf

This seems to be an issue in Belgium based on others commenting. Can I suggest that if your phone has a Hot Spot facility that you link the phone to the Wifi option on the unit rather than Bluetooth till this issue is resolved.. This should provide Traffic etc data but does not facilitate Phone/messaging. I have a Wifi and once used that to get out of a major traffic jam when the Mobile Sim facility in the unit was not available.

Doug
  • JanFiersJanFiers Posts: 1 [New Seeker]
    I have a TomTom Go Premium 6. same problem: not possible to use GPRS connection. I cannot imagine that this cannot be solved!!

Jan