Device says there is an update, but no update is available in the folder — TomTom Community

Device says there is an update, but no update is available in the folder

Philly2275Philly2275 Posts: 7 [Apprentice Seeker]
My Go5200 comes with lifetime map updates. It tells me that a new map for Europe is available. I connected it to a power supply, went to the Updates folder but there, no update is shown. I rebooted several times but still, nothing is available.

Answers

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 18,399
    Superusers
    Hi
    @Philly2275
    Welcome to the site....
    The restrictions as a result of the Coronavirus, Social Distancing and people working from home, is probably delaying the Activation of Accounts and the Allocation of Maps & Services to Account’/Devices....
    @VikramK or @lampard the Forum Moderators should pick this up on Monday and check/correct your Tomtom Account status.....

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • Philly2275Philly2275 Posts: 7 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Thanks. Just did a full reset, and the says it cannot access the tomtom services. That might be the issue...
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 10,878 Moderator
    Hi Philly2275

Welcome to the community!

Could you send me the serial number of your device through a private message, please?

Thanks, Vikram
    Hello Vikram,
    I don't know whether you did something for my device/map updates (I sent a PM this morning), but my device still shows three updates, but updating is not possible ("Oops, something went wrong, try again later")....

Thanks,
    Philip
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 6,884
    Superuser
    Hi @Philly2275

Are you trying to do all 3 updates in one go or have you selected one to do and it says the message. Always do updates individually.

Doug
    @DougLap - Thanks for your idea about not combining downloads, but that did not help unfortunately.
    Superuser
    Hi @Philly2275

I have just realised that your first post on here was a follow up to a request for a message from Vikram on another post. If you have sent the details to him it is very unusual for him to not act immediately. I will highlight this to him.

Have a look back here and on your other posts for his comment.

Doug
    Hi @Philly2275

I replied to your PM yesterday itself :)
    If setting up the device under a different account does not help then as requested, here is a topic link that explains how you can get in touch with our customer service-

https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1124472/contacting-customer-services

Thanks, Vikram
    Hi Vikram,

Again, thanks for anwering, but I am not able to follow the instructions above. When I click on the support button, it will not stay there, but keeps sending me to the https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/ page.

Also, trying a different account as suggested (after my second reset) does not work. I just cannot log in/on to the services, which is why (I guess) I cannot get my downloads going. I can only access the servers when driving, but then I cannot download anything. Vicious circle.

Is there anyway you could pass on my info to customer service?

Thanks,
    Philip
    Hi Philip

Which support button did you click on?

https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-us Are you able to access this page?

Thanks, Vikram
    Hi Vikram,

I have figured it out - it is a data/connection problem; the device cannot get data via my wifi. I connected it via an iPhone hotspot and I was able to connect to the servers and the download started immediately. Since it's 9GB I will have to figure out an alternative solution.

Regards,
    Philip
    Superuser
    Hi @Philly2275

Have you downloaded the smaller files okay via your Wifi?

Doug
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 18,399
    Superusers
    edited July 2020
    Hi
    @Philly2275
    Philly2275 wrote: »
    Hi Vikram,

I have figured it out - it is a data/connection problem; the device cannot get data via my Wi-Fi. I connected it via an iPhone hotspot, and I was able to connect to the servers and the download started immediately. Since it's 9 GB I will have to figure out an alternative solution.
    Regards, Philip
    Is your Wi-Fi Only 5Ghz ??? Tomtom devices require a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi connection....

The NAV5 (Wi-Fi) devices normally update using Wi-Fi....
    If Wi-Fi is not available or is slow/unstable/unreliable.....
    See Option... (2) Connect over USB....

Tomtom Video... Updating your navigation device using Wi-Fi

If you have successfully connected your device to your Wi-Fi....
    To check your Connection Speed, Signal Strength & Quality
    On the Device... Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Settings --> Wi-Fi
    Tap on Your WI-FI name (The one Showing as connected)
    A new Menu Page opens

7g8gwfpx1swt.jpg
    On the left-hand side of the screen is your Wi-Fi Connection Status

Tomtom recommends a minimum Wi-Fi download speed of 30Mbps
    Tomtom NAV5 (Wi-Fi) devices will only connect to a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network
    All the update actions are executed on the device...

Option... (1) Connected Wi-Fi
    Tap the 4Dot(.... Menu) --> Setting --> Updates & New Items
    Extra Maps are Installed/Maintained... Tap the 4Dot(.... Menu) --> Setting --> Maps

I always update my devices one Update at a time
    The NavCore Application and QuickFixGPS updates are force ticked by Tomtom... Deselect any other updates like Maps, Speed Cams etc... Update the mandatory item/s first, when complete update the remaining items one at a time

Note... NAV(5 Wi-Fi) devices connected over Wi-Fi do not require MyDrive Connect to be running Even if MyDrive is running you have no access the MyDrive Connect menu structures as used by the previous NAV3 & 4 devices

Option... (2) Connected USB
    If Wi-Fi is not available or is slow/unstable/unreliable.....
    Tomtom recommends a minimum Wi-Fi download speed of 30Mbps

Connecting hard-wired over USB is normally more reliable than any Over The Air Connections
    Updating your new device over USB will require "MyDrive Connect"
    Get it here..... https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/12428
    Install and Run MyDrive Connect
    There's no need to login to MyDrive Connect... See Note... (1)
    Connect your Device to a USB Port on your PC
    The Update will hopefully complete

If you're using a Laptop it would be also more advisable to use a hard-wire connection back from the Laptop to the Router....

Note... (1) MyDrive Connect will only show a "Splash screen" saying "Connect your device using Wi-Fi" etc....

27bxc59f2s23.png
    If required you can close the 'Main MyDrive Window' showing the "Connect your device using Wi-Fi" Splash screen... MyDrive Connect only needs to run in the background on the PC Taskbar... The NAV(5 Wi-Fi) devices have no access the MyDrive Menu structures as used by the previous NAV3 & 4 devices
    Updating a NAV5 (Wi-Fi) device using USB is the same as using Wi-Fi, all the update actions are executed on the device...
    Tap the 4Dot(.... Menu) --> Setting --> Updates & New Items
    Extra Maps are Installed/Maintained... Tap the 4Dot(.... Menu) --> Setting --> Maps

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
    Hi Vikram,

As I said, I have done updates before, they worked fine then. But I did figure it out.

As it turns out, I blocked an android device in my router software a while ago (I don't have any android devices). As it turns out, it is the TomTom. The connection was still there but no data going over it. Wow, so stupid once you know.

Thanks for helping!

Best regards,
    Philip
    Superuser
    edited July 2020
    Hi @Philly2275

😂😂. Been there done something similar and got a few tee shirts.

Must remember that if I run out of ideas and get really desperate

Doug