Can the Rider and the phone have different volume levels when paired to a bluetoth in the helmet? — TomTom Community

Can the Rider and the phone have different volume levels when paired to a bluetoth in the helmet?

uktomtommeruktomtommer Posts: 53 [Master Explorer]
I have a Cardo Freecom 4+ bluetooth in my helmet and an Android phone. I am considering a Rider 550.

I am not sure if the question is more about the Rider or about the Cardo bluetooth, but it's this: can I have different volume levels for the Rider and for the phone, if I pair them to the Cardo on two separate channels?

The Cardo manual http://www.cardosystems.com/wp-content/uploads/guides/manual/en/freecom4Plus.pdf mentions it supports "parallel audio streaming", whereby music is lowered when a GPS gives directions, but it doesn't say if devices on the two channels can be set at different volumes.

I ask because, as per my other [url="http://"]question[/url], when I use the TomTom Go app on the phone, I cannot really listen to music at the same time, because Go's volume is too low compared to that of the music: if I want to hear directions, the music will deafen me, but if lower the volume I struggle to hear the directions.

Thanks!

Answers

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 17,059
    Superusers
    edited July 10
    Hi
    @uktomtommer
    On the Rider5xx you can only adjust the Volume on the Headset using the Headset Controls, when an instruction is being spoken on the Rider Device....

ATB YFM
  • uktomtommeruktomtommer Posts: 53 [Master Explorer]
    What do you mean? The volume can be adjusted only while the Rider is giving directions, not when it is silent? That would seem very odd.

Do you know if volume is synced between the Rider and the headset, or if changing the setting in one affects it in the other, too? I know this differs from Bluetooth to Bluetooth.
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 17,059
    Superusers
    edited July 10
    Hi
    @uktomtommer
    What do you mean? The volume can be adjusted only while the Rider is giving directions, not when it is silent? That would seem very odd (Snip)
    'Yes' The volume can be adjusted only while the Rider device is giving directions....

ATB YFM
    Really? So I cannot adjust it while idle, but only while moving? That's not only odd, it can actually be dangerous!
    How does it work in practice? Does a button or slider to change the volume pop up on the screen only when it's giving directions?
    YamFazMan wrote: »
    'Yes' The volume can be adjusted only while the Rider device is giving directions....
    /quote]
    I have pulled the trigger and bought a Rider 550. Can I ask you how exactly you change the volume when the unit gives directions? Is there a specific icon that pops up or a specific part of the screen you need to press? I haven't noticed anything, but I was paying more attention to the road than to the satnav :)
  • whyhaveonewhyhaveone Posts: 54 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    You adjust the volume on your headset whilst it is giving directions. It's not dangerous if you do it before you set off - or even whilst riding.

You do the same with the music, adjust it whilst playing.

Effectively you can have two different volumes, one for each device.