Please help — TomTom Community

Please help

ursinaursina Posts: 6 [Apprentice Seeker]
Can someone help me? I would love to see my driven tracks on my Mac book pro.
I recorded a wonderful ride today an would love to share it with my friends. The device keeps telling my to insert a SD card with enough available space on it. I assumed that 64GB would be enough . But no. The tom-tom rider 500 does not want to share my route (ride). Is it just my problem or is it simply not possible to use the tom tom rider 500 with a Mac? Please help

Best Answers

• ursinaursina Posts: 6 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Accepted Answer
    Really easy
    I hand to find a adaptor to insert the micro SD card in to my MacBook.

With the help of Disc Utilities formatted it: MS-DOS Fat 32 as Master Boot Record.

Ejected the SD card from my MacBook, took it out of the adaptor and re-inserted it into the TomTom Rider 500.

Finally the SD card was excepted and I was able to copy the GPS data on to the SD card via "share my rides".

Once again, took the SD card out of the TomTom Rider and re-inserted it into the adaptor and in to my MacBook.

I was forced to create a Gmail account.

Then, while logged in, surfed to GoogleMaps.

In the dropdown menu I could click on "My Places"

The tab all the way to the left says "Maps". Clicked on that.

Then all the way at the bottom of the dialog-box it says: "Create Map"

A new dialog-box let's you import (upload) a GPX file.

Once that was done, I was able to show my family where my ride lead me.

Of course all members of my family where fast asleep by then.

But as I always say: "Good when things are kept nice and simple "

So it should only take you a couple of hours to get to the point where the MY DRIVE CONNECT Software should take you immediately. :#

I assume it's way to complicated to just have MY DRIVE CONNECT show a map with the driven rides on it. And then share with the riders community .

p.s. The android file transfer software is ONLY to transfer GPX files from your computer to your TomTom Rider. NOT the other was around.
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 6,161
    Superuser
    Accepted Answer
    Hi @ursina

If you Open the Tomtom My Drive website on your Mac and log into your account then you can import the file you downloaded from the Rider into it then it will be saved in your my Routes folder there and can be viewed on the map.

https://mydrive.tomtom.com

Doug

Answers

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 17,488
    Superusers
    edited June 27
    Hi
    @ursina
    Welcom to the site....
    Mac OS X

TomTom Rider uses the USB Media Transfer Profile (MTP) for transferring routes. On a Mac you need to install a program that supports USB MTP, such as Android™ File Transfer.
    Once the program is installed, connect your Rider 4x/4xx 5x/5xx to your Mac and select Import routes. This switches the device to MTP mode. Route files such as GPX and ITN can then be copied to the internal memory of your device or a memory card using the MTP program.

See Tomtom FAQ... https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360013957639-Transferring-track-or-routes-to-your-TomTom-Rider

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
    Dearest YamFazMan
    Thank you very much for your quick answer.
    I´m sorry I completely miss explained my issue.
    The thing I'm desperately trying to do is the following:
    I have my TomTom Rider 500 with recorded wonderful rides which I would like to see on a lager display such as my MacBook to be able to show them to my family. Is there a possibility to transfer the rides (routes) to my MacBook? The TomTom Rider will no let me copy the rides on to the SD card, believe me I've tried everything. TomTom Rider 500 keeps prompting to insert a SD card with enough free space. I did that and the TomTom Rider 500 will prompt the exact same message. So I assume it will not work. As Einstein defined the definition of insanity ; to repeat procedures and to expect different results.
    I assume that it is my issue to want to see the route on my laptop display and it was not previewed by TomTom. But I thank you if ever you have a solution to my issue.
    Can't imagine that no-one besides me wants to look at their rides on a bigger screen than the navigation screen.
    Kindest regards Ursina
  • LochfrassLochfrass Posts: 12,606
    Superuser
    Note: The TomTom Devices supports only memory cards up to 32GB.
    Have you ever tried a small memory card? For example 8GB or lower?
    http://download.tomtom.com/open/manuals/Rider_Wi-Fi/html/en-gb/index.htm#Exportingtrackstoamemorycard-GO,START,TRUCKERandWings.htm
    Ok ... I found it.
    Google-Maps had the explanation I was seeking.
    Thanks anyways for trying to help.
    Kindest regards
    Ursina
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 17,488
    Superusers
    edited June 28
    Hi
    @ursina

To help others... Would it be possible to post you solution here on the Forum

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
    Accepted Answer
    Really easy
    I hand to find a adaptor to insert the micro SD card in to my MacBook.

With the help of Disc Utilities formatted it: MS-DOS Fat 32 as Master Boot Record.

Ejected the SD card from my MacBook, took it out of the adaptor and re-inserted it into the TomTom Rider 500.

Finally the SD card was excepted and I was able to copy the GPS data on to the SD card via "share my rides".

Once again, took the SD card out of the TomTom Rider and re-inserted it into the adaptor and in to my MacBook.

I was forced to create a Gmail account.

Then, while logged in, surfed to GoogleMaps.

In the dropdown menu I could click on "My Places"

The tab all the way to the left says "Maps". Clicked on that.

Then all the way at the bottom of the dialog-box it says: "Create Map"

A new dialog-box let's you import (upload) a GPX file.

Once that was done, I was able to show my family where my ride lead me.

Of course all members of my family where fast asleep by then.

But as I always say: "Good when things are kept nice and simple "

So it should only take you a couple of hours to get to the point where the MY DRIVE CONNECT Software should take you immediately. :#

I assume it's way to complicated to just have MY DRIVE CONNECT show a map with the driven rides on it. And then share with the riders community .

p.s. The android file transfer software is ONLY to transfer GPX files from your computer to your TomTom Rider. NOT the other was around.
    Lochfrass wrote: »
    Note: The TomTom Devices supports only memory cards up to 32GB.
    Have you ever tried a small memory card? For example 8GB or lower?
    http://download.tomtom.com/open/manuals/Rider_Wi-Fi/html/en-gb/index.htm#Exportingtrackstoamemorycard-GO,START,TRUCKERandWings.htm

That I could read in the manual. That was not the Problem. But thanks anyway.
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 6,161
    Superuser
    Accepted Answer
    Hi @ursina

If you Open the Tomtom My Drive website on your Mac and log into your account then you can import the file you downloaded from the Rider into it then it will be saved in your my Routes folder there and can be viewed on the map.

https://mydrive.tomtom.com

Doug
    edited June 29
    This is great. Thanks for the tip. You made my day :)