How to activate free lifetime map updates? — TomTom Community

How to activate free lifetime map updates?

TC_Mobile_59TC_Mobile_59 Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
I just bought a TomTom Start 42 with lifetime free map updates. MyDrive Connect shows no free map updates. I can only buy new cards. The map on the system in 2017 (version 950).
How can I activate the lifetime free map updates?
Or should I return the piece?

Best Answer

Answers

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 7,733
    Superuser
    Hi @TC_Mobile_59

With the current situation and people working from home it is sometimes taking longer for the accounts to be set up properly.

Hopefully @VikramK or @lampard will see this on Monday and sort out your account settings and then Lifetime updates will work.

Look back here on Monday

Doug
  • roger_saporoger_sapo Posts: 6 [New Seeker]
    I have the same problem, with a Go Essential 6
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 19,262
    Superusers
    Hi
    @roger_sapo
    Welcome to the site....
    The restrictions as a result of the Corona Virus, Social Distancing and people working from home, is probably delaying the Activation of Accounts and the Allocation of Maps & Services to Accounts/Devices....
    On Monday @VikramK or @lampard the Forum Moderators should pick this up and check/correct your Tomtom Account status.....

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • TC_Mobile_59TC_Mobile_59 Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Thanks. Everything works now.
    Even a SD card was easily formatted and recognized bij MyDrive.
  • jjpsjjps Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I have a GO 620, should have lifetime maps, speed cameras and traffic.
    Every time I check Updates&New Items, I get answer 'Your TomTom GO 620 is up to date'. That's not true, when I check System/About I can see that the installed map is 'Europe' v975.7679 (Released 07/2016). It's four years old, definitely not up to date! There are plenty of new roads which are not known by the navigator. Application version is also pretty old: 16.401.0077.411 (0) (22/09/2016).
    Please help, how to get this really up-to-date?
    Superuser
    Hi @jjps

Hopefully @VikramK will pick this up tomorrow and check the settings for your unit on the TT servers and adjust as required. Look back then

Doug
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 11,624 Moderator
    Hi @jjps
    Welcome to the community!
    The Navkit(firmware) version v16.401 has to be updated first. Please contact the customer service to investigate the issue. Once the firmware gets updated the latest maps will be offered for download. No issues with the subscriptions on your GO 620 WiFi.

Thanks, Vikram
    Hi @VikramK ,
    Thanks for advice. Still have one tricky problem, how to contact the customer service?? Haven't found any way on Win app. On my iPhone app, I can write a message, but when sending, "Something went wrong and we couldn't send your message. Try again". And again, and again. Can you tell me how to get connection to customer service?

Thanks, jjps
    Superuser
    edited August 2020
    Hi @jjps

Can you do it on your phone with this info. Otherwise a PC.

https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360015568919/

Chat is during normal working hours only and is very busy and you may have to try a few times to get into Chat.

There is currently no Phone line Customer Support with so many working from home.

If you have a problem with the above link try another browser.

You could also try Clicking on Contact Us at the bottom of this page under the heading Support.

When you have signed in on the next page Tap Red Contact Us

Type Help in next box then hit return

Help box appears with a few suggestions. Just Tap the Contact Us at the bottom

Box appears with Chat/Email

Doug
    Email sent to support, thank you @DougLap .
  • DH1DH1 Posts: 5 [Apprentice Seeker]
    1st post for me.
    Same problem for my device (start20). Have been trying off and on for about a year now.
    My fully updated device has a map dated 5/2018. That can't be the latest map. So very disappointed with TomTom.
    Superuser
    Hi @DH1

Was you Start 20 sold with lifetime map updates? If it was then you should still be offered updates on a regular basis. If not then you need to purchase map updates from the Tomtom shop.

Doug
    Hi Doug,
    Yes, sold with lifetime maps. It's even printed on the retail box in black font on a lime green flash. That's why I originally brought it.
    David
    Superuser
    Hi @DH1

Then Contact Customer Support and raise the matter with them. Some Start 20 unit shave been declared obsolete but Tomtom have started that they are still honouring the lifetime maps on those units.

Here is some info on contacting Customer support.

https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360015568919/

Chat is during normal working hours only and is very busy and you may have to try a few times to get into Chat.

There is currently no Phone line Customer Support with so many working from home.

If you have a problem with the above link try another browser.

You could also try Clicking on Contact Us at the very bottom of this page under the heading Support.

When you have signed in on the next page Tap Red Contact Us

Type Help in next box then hit return

Help box appears with a few suggestions. Just Tap the Contact Us at the bottom

Box appears with Chat/Email

Doug
    Thanks Doug, as I said, I've been trying to contact them for some time, in fact since June LAST YEAR and still no luck.

Tom Tom is for me, the worst company out there. It's just a rip off, nothing like it used to be.
    Do you know in which country their Customer Support is in?

Thanks for your help.
    David
    Superuser
    Hi @DH1

I don't understand why you had any difficulty contacting them since June last year as until early this year there were available phone lines as well as Chat and email for use in various countries around the world.

As far as I know they have Customer Support based in various countries depending on the language involved.

Doug
    No phone numbers I can find now.
    Bongo. The TomTom Digital Assistant can't help.
    Contact us 'Red Flash' can't help.

All I want is what I paid for.

Superuser
    Hi @DH1

Thats why UI said there were phone number until early this year. Since Covid struck there are only Chat and Email facilities.

Try this which I have just checked and I can get to the Chat or Email options. Make sure you are signed in top Right.

https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360015568919-How-to-contact-TomTom-support

Doug
    Re: phone numbers. True, but no Covid last year.
    I received a email for Tom Tom saying they will get back to me.
    A couple of days later, updates started working (I didn't do anything different)

Don't know what they did, just wish it had happened over a year ago.
    Shouldn't have to chase up what I, as a customer, paid for.

Done now, unless it mysteriously stops working at the next FREE update. Thanks.
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 19,262
    Superusers
    edited September 2020
    Hi
    @DH1
    Welcome to the site....
    Due to COVID-19 the phone service has been suspended
    For Tomtom Support Email or Chat lines...
    (Monday to Friday Normal Office Hours)
    The way of contacting Customer Services has changed
    See... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1714844/#Comment_1714844

The official way to Contact Tomtom Support.....
    https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360015568919-How-to-contact-TomTom-support

Stay Safe... ATB YFM