Order Confirmation e-mail received for World Speed Camera Updates when not ordered — TomTom Community

Order Confirmation e-mail received for World Speed Camera Updates when not ordered

tech_notech_no Posts: 7 [New Seeker]
Hi,
Yesterday I received an e-mail order confirmation from Tom Tom for World Speed Camera Updates when I hadn't ordered anything from them. It was for £2.99 but with £2.99 discount so it was free. No problem other than somebody must have ordered it in my name. Later the same day I received another e-mail saying I was now subscribed to pay £2.99 a month for World Speed Cameras. I never subscribed. It told me how to unsubscribe, which I did. Did Tom Tom itself order this with the subscriptions or did somebody order it in my name? Anyone else with this same problem?

Best Answer

Answers

• tech_notech_no Posts: 7 [New Seeker]
    Hi SmartLady,
    Thank you for your reply. I wonder how many more people got this same e-mail? Every time that I tried to fill-out a webnote to Tom Tom last night and today it said the servers are being worked on. I know the message is from TomTom. If you login to your account and look under subscriptions it is there. Somebody signed us up for monthly subscriptions. You can cancel it here within 30 days, which I done last night, but it doesn't answer who ordered on our behalf. If it is Tom Tom they have done so without our permission.
    Thank you Dougl_ap for the contact links.
    I just tried the UK e-mail link Dougl_ap and it is coming up "secure connection failed". I tried the Chat earlier this morning and that was unavailable too. Probably servers still down.
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 6,923
    Superuser
    Hi @tech_no

Try in another browser just in case that helps.

Doug
    Thank you for the link Icosphere. Just read that post. It looks like TomTom are ordering without a customer's assent, which I would think is against the law. Even worse when they are signing you up for subscriptions without your knowledge. It seems like Tom Tom servers are usually down too so you cannot contact them even. I have been reading about TomTom stopping updates for older Sat Nav's too when they bought them with Lifetime maps. It all adds up to bad company policies and underhand dealings in this matter.
    Thank you for the tip DougLap and sorry for mispelling your name before, I had the wrong glasses on.
    Superuser
    Hi @tech_no

If you have the right glasses on 😂😂 you will find on here that Tomtom have stated that they still honour Lifetime maps for the devices sold with it that have been declared obsolete. People who have had a problem have had the map updates restored.

Doug
    I've got the right glasses on DougLap. That is good news for those that have lifetime maps on older devices. Mine must be pretty old now; the Via135.
  • Steve001Steve001 Posts: 1 [New Seeker]
    I got charged £2.99 for a monthly subscription to ”world speed 1 month”. On 2 July 2020 (today as of writing). I can’t find any contact details for Tomtom anywhere on the Internet. For now I’ve cancelled the repeat subscription and changed my tomtom password. Anybody got any direct contact details for tomtom UK?
  • NiallNiall Posts: 10,854
    Superuser
    @Steve001

To cancel the subscription contact Customer Services and let them know how dissatisfied you are with the introduction of automatic renewal/billing

See https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1124472/contacting-customer-services
  • Alfredo73Alfredo73 Posts: 1 [New Seeker]
    I got charged 2.99 euro for a monthly subscription to ”world speed 1 month” today. For now I’ve cancelled the repeat subscription. Do you know how i can delete my credit card data from my tomtom account?
    Superuser
    @Alfredo73

As I said to Steve001 above
    To cancel the subscription contact Customer Services and let them know how dissatisfied you are with the introduction of automatic renewal/billing

See https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1124472/contacting-customer-services
  • BlackfiveBlackfive Posts: 7 [Apprentice Traveler]
    If my experience is anything to go by it seems as if even if you get TomTom to cancel it you still get billed again the next month. I got in contact with them last month and complained about the unauthorised charge and it was dropped and I was told cancelled. However this has not been the case as yesterday I again got an email telling me of an unauthorised charge for the world speed cameras.
    The annual update subscription was £15.99 but the monthly one for the world, when I only need the Europe ones, is £2.99 so £35.88 annually. That's a whopping 124% increase!!
    I know where all the local speed cameras are so now just want an odd couple of months a year to make it cost effective so TomTom will gain less money from me. Unless if course they still continue to illegally take unauthorised payments from me.
  • Dexter290Dexter290 Posts: 4 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Got randomly charged £2.99 yesterday for World Speed cameras monthly subscription even though I cancelled subscription several months ago and account shows as not subscribed. Anyone know how to chase them to return the payment. Not to mention that they no longer support my device even though it is only 4 years old, looks like I'm still entitled to map updates but not sure about 'lifetime' traffic. Not been anywhere recently because of lockdown so don't know if it still works or not. They really seem to know how to upset their customers.
    Superuser
    Hi @Dexter290

The GO5000 is still supported by Tomtom. Have you tried to update using My Drive Connect.

Doug
    Yes, have updated maps, took forever to download but account was saying device no longer supported. Also had an old Go910 that I have now deleted so will see if it was that causing confusion.
    Just got MyDrive to reconnect. Oddly my services says I have World Speed Cameras until 25/09/2020 even though I cancelled the subscription and Lifetime maps but with no picture in box and no mention of Traffic at all.
  • Bill-C74Bill-C74 Posts: 1 [New Seeker]
    Same here paid for 6 month speed I think in December 2019 to take me until the end of support of my map Europe only to be charged this £2.99 through Pay pal every month since, thought I had cancelled last month but still taken today 29/7/20 have tried to cancel through TOM TOM and PAY PAL but so far no success have cancelled again today hopefully no more payments would like to claim all the £2.99 payments that have been taken out without my AUTHORISATION.So come on TOM TOM pay up and stop ruining your reputation and taking us for a ride

Bill C
    Superuser
    @Bill-C74

Seems that TomTom are relying of section 4 of their T&Cs https://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/legal/terms-and-conditions/
    TomTom may also offer you a trial subscription for a paid monthly or fixed subscription, without payment or at a reduced rate (a “Trial Subscription") from time to time and at TomTom’s sole discretion. TomTom has the right to determine the eligibility and revoke or modify the Trial Subscription terms and conditions at any time without prior notice and without liability to You or third parties, to the extent permitted by the applicable law.

If you want to make use of the Trial Subscription, TomTom will require you to provide your preferred payment method. By providing such details, you agree that TomTom may automatically charge you for the paid subscription (either on a recurring monthly or fix basis) on the first day after the end of the trial subscription, You will be informed in advance about the applicable payment, billing cycle and any other relevant detail for such paid subscription. IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO PAY FOR THE SUBSCRIPTION ONCE THE TRIAL PERIOD HAS ENDED, YOU MUST CANCEL THE APPLICABLE PAID SUBSCRIPTION BEFORE THE END OF THE TRIAL SUBSCRIPTION AS PER SECTION 4.3.
  • ex_tomtom_userex_tomtom_user Posts: 9 [Master Traveler]
    1. Cancel your ongoing subscription in "Subscriptions"

2. Contact the support, preferably by chat, and ask for a refund. It will take a while from explaining the situation to finally receiving a confirmational email (30 minutes in my case) so be prepared.

3. If you want to be sure you won't get charged again, delete your bank card details. According to the person from support it goes more or less like this: "to do that, select any product and add it to your basket, on payment page, you shall find a tickbox to save payment details while payment, you can deselect the box to unsave your details". It worked for me.

I'm still not 100% sure if I won't get charged again "by accident". If so, I will contact my bank and block all payments from TomTom.
    In case I don't get the requested refund I might ask my bank to undo the transaction(s) made.