Speed Camera Updates - per month subscription automatically applied to my account? — TomTom Community

Speed Camera Updates - per month subscription automatically applied to my account?

IcosphereIcosphere Posts: 5 [Apprentice Traveler]
Hi there, I received an order confirmation email early this morning from [email protected] saying that I had ordered "World Speed 1 Month" but I did not make this transaction. Then I find out in my account that I have a speed camera subscription that started today and end in one month. The order summary shows subtotal of £2.99 and discount £2.99 with a total of £0.00.

I received yet another email later on today with the text "Just a quick note to update you on how we have streamlined our service to your convenience. Your speed camera subscription will remain active and continue month-to-month for £ 2.99. You have the option of a 30-day cancellation." I logged into my account and found that indeed I have an Active Subscription which I did not order.

How can this be applied to my account automatically without my authorisation?

Answers

• Martindp2Martindp2 Posts: 6 [Master Explorer]
    Me too. I'm not sure this is legal but even if it is it is morally reprehensible. Why was there no prior warning before the money was taken? Who said I wanted to renew my subscription? Why has the price more than doubled since the figure I paid last year? Where are TomTom's contact details so that I can demand my money back? I am extremely angry about this action and cancelled immediately. Unless I get some acceptable response I intend to pass the matter over to the Consumer Association ("Which" Magazine) to give it some publicity and get their opinion.
  • IcosphereIcosphere Posts: 5 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I have cancelled the unauthorised subscription today. What happens if I never checked the email or account, the subscription would have continued without my knowledge.
    This is outrageous behaviour from TomTom to impose this upon our account without knowledge.
  • judydyejudydye Posts: 6 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I had the same and raised a chat item on this subject and was told it was one month's free subscription a year after I had similar. They said to download it which I did.
    Following that I got an email saying

"Just a quick note to update you on how we have streamlined our service to your convenience. Your speed camera subscription will remain active and continue month-to-month for £ 2.99. You have the option of a 30-day cancellation.

To change your subscription preferences, please go to: TomTom.com > Sign in to your account > Then go to ‘My Subscriptions’
    "
    There are 2 issues here:-
    1)I have not agreed to any monthly subscription
    2) The link quoted above does not work - it gives a page not found error

It is a total co-trick to get us to purchase.
  • Martindp2Martindp2 Posts: 6 [Master Explorer]
    #DougLap# Thanks for the contact details - I thought I'd looked everywhere. :(
  • VodorVodor Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Exactly the same thing here. First a €2.99 order and an equal discount. Next the message about the monthly subscription.

I haven't tried to cancel yet on the odd chance that it will be free each month. So I'm curious to hear what their support has to say. Anybody contacted them yet?
  • NoNoNoYesNoNoNoYes Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    edited June 2020
    Me too. Same problem. It is obviously not legal!
    I have not bought nor asked to buy any subscription in the first place!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Can someone advise on what to do? Where to complain?
    I don't even want to bother cancel a subscription that I never bought in the first place.
    This is a complete obvious scam from tomtom!!!!!
  • boljakboljak Posts: 19 [Outstanding Explorer]
    what is reprehensible is that they sell the safety camera subscription based on what users report on the road. I drive at least 8 hours a day in New York City as my profession. I report speed camera or red light camera that is not yet on their database. Should I not be at least given a free subscription as an active contributor?
  • VodorVodor Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Warning: I once made a single payment on Tomtom using paypal. Now I discovered they opened a paypal subscription, allowing them to take money at any time.

Make sure you disable any such recurring payment on Paypal before they actually use it.
  • ex_tomtom_userex_tomtom_user Posts: 9 [Master Traveler]
    1. Cancel your ongoing subscription in "Subscriptions"

2. Contact the support, preferably by chat, and ask for a refund. It will take a while (30 minutes in my case) from explaining the situation to finally receiving a confirmational email as they respond quite slowly so be prepared.

3. If you want to be sure you won't get charged again, delete your bank card details. According to the person from support it goes more or less like this: "to do that, select any product and add it to your basket, on payment page, you shall find a tickbox to save payment details while payment, you can deselect the box to unsave your details". It worked for me.

I'm still not 100% sure if I won't get charged again "by accident". If so, I will contact my bank and block all payments from TomTom.
    In case I don't get the requested refund I might ask my bank to undo the transaction(s) made.