Map deleted after trying to up to new map TOM TOM START 52 — TomTom Community

Map deleted after trying to up to new map TOM TOM START 52

RogerDFrRogerDFr Posts: 6 [Apprentice Seeker]
~June19th 2020 I tried to update my map as the device as just bought device brand new . The only map I did have was the map that came with the device when it was bought. I havn't spent money on a map after the purchase of the device. I tried to update a "smaller map" (?) as it looked free. The device started updating but a couple of minutes in to the update it stated "update failed" and the map disappeared from my device.
When I boot the device it says "no maps found". When looking at MyDrive Connect it says that I have to buy a map to proceed and that my device is updated.
I've tried resetting the device with the 20 second power button hold down and the 3 taps on the power button, but it hasn't worked. I now have no maps, the sat nav doesn't work, I am desparate now for work. please help urgently.

Answers

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 20,098
    Superusers
    edited June 2020
    Hi
    @rogerdf
    Welcome to the Site....
    The Forum Moderator @VikramK has commented on this problem....
    Case 2 Here... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1121560/tomtom-no-maps-found

'Question'....
    The device shows No maps found and MyDrive Connect displays your device is updated.
    'Answer'....
    The firmware has to read two files on your device to load the map.
    - Map
    - Map Certificate

During the update process map installation fails but the certificate gets installed, MyDrive Connect will not offer the same map for download. The required map files are not installed on the device so it will continue to show the 'no maps' error.

Over here you need to contact the customer service to get the certificate removed. They have the tools in the backend to create scripts that will remove the certificate.

Once the certificate is removed the map will be offered as a download again in MyDrive Connect.

Contact Tomtom Support....
    Due to COVID-19 the phone service has been suspended....
    Tomtom Direct Email & Chat Links by Country....
    Click on required Countries Email or Chat Link....

Here... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1122389/customer-service-contact-details-during-covid-19-epidemic/p1

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • RogerDFrRogerDFr Posts: 6 [Apprentice Seeker]
    MY new Tom Tom 52 is now a brick. I am thinking about returning it to Argos where I bought it. I bought it urgently for work as I do deliveries and now it is useless. I decided to update the maps and it apparently failed. Then when I went to reinstall the maps there was nothing there. I have left a message on the forums and all I've been told is to email and read your previous articles. I'm doing this but my Sat Nav is sdtill a brick. Apparently you have to do something your end so I can update to the new maps. If I need to return this to the shop and get a Garmin can you let me know please. Thank you
    Superusers
    edited June 2020
    Hi
    @RogerDFr
    This is a user Forum overseen by Tomtom staff where we users help each other....

Technical support is as the link in my first post....
    Contact Tomtom Support....
    Due to COVID-19 the phone service has been suspended....
    Tomtom Direct Email & Chat Links by Country....
    Click on required Countries Email or Chat Link....

Here... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1122389/customer-service-contact-details-during-covid-19-epidemic/p1

If the problem is not like the 'Case' 2 situation mentioned by Vikram (Moderator)
    See Tomtom FAQ... No maps available (MyDrive Connect)
    Here... https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360013900620-No-maps-available-MyDrive-Connect-

End

Also See....
    If I have a problem with myDrive Connect...I find deleting the "HOME3" and the "MyDrive Connect" folders in the MyDrive Connect Program gives MyDrive Connect a CPR and brings to bring it back to life...
    See... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1686214/#Comment_1686214
    I'm on a Mac but have found the two folders you mentioned (Home3 and MyDriveConnect) and deleted them. Hurrah.. that's done the trick after a couple of frustrating weeks I've updated it successfully.
    Many thanks for the advice.

On a Mac....
    The "HOME3" and the "MyDrive Connect" folders are located here...
    MacOS: Users\Username\Library\Application Support\TomTom\

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
    Thank you for all the advice. I have tried everything. Soft Resets, The bigger reset, the deleting of Home 3 and My Drive. The device is connected to usb. My PC is working fine. The only thing left is TomTom need to change the certificate on my device from your end so I can get it working. Thank you too for the suggestion about the VIA 52 which I may well consider doing. Many Thanks
    Sorry guys I gave up. No good having a Sat Nav which won't work and no way to fix it. I've returned it to Argos and got a full refund. The guy in the shop told me he'd refunded loads of people who had the same problem. He knew all about it even before I finished telling him what had happened. Maybe Tom Tom should fix this problem from their end. It seems like they have to modify the security certificate in Customer Services in order to fix it. Unfortunately as phone lines are currently closed Customers Services are very difficult to reach. Even my emails 36 hours later still never got a reply. Tom Tom obviously know about this issue, just a suggestion but either automate the security certificate problem or remove them for the time being. It's hardly fair to put me as a consumer in this position and then leave me hanging, so I end up returning it the shop.
    Superusers
    Hi RogerDFr
    I can understand your frustration... But these are unusual times... Tomtom is like everywhere else... The restrictions as a result of the Corona Virus, Social Distancing and people working from home, is probably delaying the Activation of Accounts and the Allocation of Maps & Services to Accounts/Devices....
    RogerDFr wrote: »
    (Snip) Even my emails 36 hours later still never got a reply
    It does say in the link to the Tomtom Support list... That the Tomtom UK Email & Chat Line for the Support is closed over the weekend....

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 12,734 Moderator
    Hi @RogerDFr

Welcome to the community!

Could you send me the serial number of your START 52 through a private message, please?

Thanks, Vikram