Anyone have accuracy distance problems with the new Go Supreme — TomTom Community

Anyone have accuracy distance problems with the new Go Supreme

Having terrible time with accuracy in distance with my new Go Supreme... some close distances ...3.6 m,iles off by more than 100% ...(9.2 miles), etx. Any suggestions on correcting this error?

Best Answer

• Elnel359Elnel359 Posts: 6 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Accepted Answer
    Again... terrific help and directions... it worked! With your assistance and the info I've read in the Go Premium User Manual, I think I can do this thing! Not as easy as my Via 1505... and perhaps not as accurate, but I think I'll keep it!

You've been more than helpful... and a terrific "teacher" for this technically poor student...thanks again! Stay safe! I'll search the TomTom site to see how I can credit you with the success for helping me. You deserve it!

Answers

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 18,666
    Superusers
    edited June 2020
    Hi
    @Elnel359
    Welcome to the site....
    When you experience these problems... Has the device received a Satellite Lock ???
    If the small Satellite Dish is being displayed on the Traffic Bar....
    This equates to No Satellite Lock....

8kut93pec0pn.jpg

Is it possible to give an example or two ??? (Without divulging personal information)

Stay Safe ATB YFM
    Really appreciate your response...

I just checked the Go Supreme.... looked at the place you have indicated... and do not see a satellite dish icon.... but looks like a tiny "checkerboard" box in that position. Is the GPS locked? What should I do?

Examples of distance error: At this moment, my car (with Go Supreme) is sitting outside my home door... perhaps 25 feet... (wifi... directly inside th the house door)... and it shows that I'm located 60 yds from my home.

It won't let me change/move the car icon or the home icon in any way to correct the error.

I have a dollar store..3.5 miles from my home...it says 9 miles ... I live 24 miles from Walmart...it says 15 miles.(These distances were accurately defined by my Tomtom ViIA 1505...that I am replacing by the Go Supreme.

I have looked at the list of dozens of User Manuals on the Tom Tom website...but there is not one listed for the Go Supreme.

I'm thinking about returning the Go Supreme...as Tom Tom does not have office support to discuss these several issues ....Although the first item in the box is a card saying ...For no-stress help... please call us toll free...866-486-6866.... response: office is closed. ...My stress is high and getting higher!

Any suggestions or ideas?
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 7,171
    Superuser
    Hi @Elnel359

I am wondering whether what you are experiencing is because you have not been out and about with the unit yet.

Could you try the following. When the unit is well charged turn it on and when it is ready to work Hold the On/Off button down for about 20 seconds plus until you hear the Drumroll sound then let the button go. The unit will restart and it is worth mentioning that doing this after you do any updates is a good idea as it tidies up the devices files.

Now the unit has restarted go outside well away from buildings and trees etc so you have a clear view of the sky and then set a route to somewhere and when ready Tap Drive/Lets Go and then put the device down for up to 30 minutes. I would expect the device to quickly lock onto all the satellites and then it will be interesting to see if the device provides the same distance information as your old unit.

Doug
    Much improved... Home (20 yds), Dollar store (3.5mi) , and Walmart (24mi) very close.. perhaps accurate. Thanks, so much! I have downloaded the Go Premium User Manual and find it very relevant and helpful. Hope they provide one for the Go Supreme, soon, however!

Your directions have been "spot on" and real support in your timely and helpful responses. I'm new at this ... how do I show credit and appreciation for your assistance?

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 7,171
    Superuser
    Hi @Elnel359

Your welcome. Enjoy your new toy.

Doug
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 18,666
    Superusers
    edited June 2020
    Hi
    @Elnel359

The checker board Icon represents your destination on the Traffic Bar the small Satellite Dish is displayed just above the checker board Icon

The current location triangular icon cannot be adjusted that data and positioning uses the Satellite data
    How did you set you Home lotion ???
    By imputing your address or Post code Maybe a Postcode
    A postcode for example is the center-point of an a postcode area....

To set a more accurate 'Home' location....
    Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> MyPlaces --> Home --> Edit Location.... Pinch Zoom Max to your 'Home Location' guesstimate your House or Drive --> 'Long Tap' (Tap and hold for +1 second) on the Location --> A quick menu opens --> Tap ( Set ).... The device will set your new Home Location....
    Note... (1) A 'Quick Tap' and 'Long Tap' of the screen gives different menu options....

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
    Accepted Answer
    Again... terrific help and directions... it worked! With your assistance and the info I've read in the Go Premium User Manual, I think I can do this thing! Not as easy as my Via 1505... and perhaps not as accurate, but I think I'll keep it!

You've been more than helpful... and a terrific "teacher" for this technically poor student...thanks again! Stay safe! I'll search the TomTom site to see how I can credit you with the success for helping me. You deserve it!