My new TomTom GO premium 6" seems to not be charging ! — TomTom Community

My new TomTom GO premium 6" seems to not be charging !

Using the TomTom USB car charger with the new cable plugged into an ignition fed feed. I have measured the power from the TomTom USB socket at 5.06 to 5.09v 0.27 to 0.28 amp.

Is this sufficient power to charge the unit even if battery is low or will the unit fail?

What pins on the mount can I use to check the power at that end ?

Unfortunately the whole story behind my enquiry would take a long time and I have cut it as short as I can.

Any help appreciated.

Answers

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 16,771 [Elite Vanguard]
    edited June 17
    Hi
    @CRHolder
    Welcome to the site...
    The Previous NAV4 and Latest (NAV5 WiFi) devices are quite power hungry and can go into "Power saving mode" if not supplied with enough power
    Are you using the Tomtom supplied cable and Tomtom supplied Power Adapter
    The Charger Adaptor and USB Cable supplied by Tomtom WILL run and charge the device at the same time

Many 3rd party Mismatched Charger Adaptors won't run and charge the device at the same time
    See... It's not simply a power thing.....
    Click Here... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1182024/#Comment_1182024

When the device is In use they are designed to be always connected to a power supply
    The Tomtom supplied Power Adapter is rated at 5Volts 1.2Amps
    Even after you have recharged the device externally via a mains charger, when in use in the vehicle, they will still require being connected to a Tomtom supplied Power Adapter (Or a proven suitable 3rd party Power adapter)

(1)... Do NOT attach them to a dashboard USB port in your vehicle as they normally only supply 500mAmp (0.5Amp) and are for data transfer and not supplying power: See... Note (1) & (2)

(2)... Using a NONE Tomtom 3rd party underpowered or a mismatched cigarette lighter charger can cause the device to go into Power Saving Mode: See... Note (1)

(3)... On the Models with a built-in SIM, the reduction of power to the SIM can cause the dropping of the traffic info: Note (3)

Note (1)... At an (Undisclosed) percentage of battery discharge, the device will try to save its power requirements by dimming the screen and eventually powers off the device... Devices with a built-in SIM Card may also lose Live Traffic services
    Note (2)... A dashboard USB port can also fool a NAV4 Device into entering 'Updating Mode' and display the Connected to your Computer splash screen
    Note (3)... I tried connecting my Tomtom GO 6200 to my Cars USB port, checked the connection status it reports 'Connected over USB' --> 'GPRS (SIM) Disconnected'

Stay Safe... ATB YFM

• CRHolderCRHolder Posts: 9 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Thank you for your feedback.
    The issue is, having complied with all the requirements. I have now had 2 new out of the box Premium X and now Premium fail whilst on a journey.

Therefore, I am asking for confirmation that the 5.06v and 0.27amps are sufficient to operate the unit even if the battery is not fully charged.

I had a GO 6000 which was in a car used twice every day but for only 15 minutes at a time. The Unit was in sleep mode the rest of the time. I never had any problem with this even on a trip to Brittany and back.

I first purchase a Premium X 6” in October 2019 and fitted it using the cigarette lighter socket to a new Mitsubishi Outlander. Fully charged on a trip to Blenheim Castle from Maidstone, the unit failed by the time I reached Oxford. Basically, dumping me without a clue where I was or going. The unit continually switched off then on and cycled off and on until I had to stop and unplug it.
    Using a Phone and Google maps I continued. On the return journey after being mains charged the unit failed after about an hour. I complained and eventually had a refund.

About 4 weeks ago I thought it must have been a rogue unit so purchased a Premium 6” and fitted it to a feed from the fuse box that worked through the ignition.
    So, when switched on the unit wakes from Sleep Mode …

During “Lockdown” the car has not been used but having fully charged the unit ( for a minimum of 2 hours ), I put it in its new cradle with its new adaptor and cable. I used the car for about 20 minutes on two days before going on a 40-mile trip. 10 to 15 minutes into this trip the unit closed down and went through the same sequence as the previous one.

I contacted TomTom customer service who said they are sending me a new mount but did not answer any of my questions.

So I need to know that the 5.06v 0.28a is sufficient power to actually operate and charge the unit.

If it is, I then need to know how to check the power at the pins on the mount to see if there is a fault there.

I find it totally unacceptable that I cannot just get in my car and drive to a destination without being continually worried this unit will fail and to think I need to have my phone set up to takeover at any time is ridiculous.

I am not interested in hearing that these units are power hungry . If that is the case TomTom should have beefed up the performance to cope with it.

Regards
    Charles Holder
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 4,767 [Elite Voyager]
    edited June 17
    Hi @CRHolder

As @YamFazMan has indicated if you have a USB socket in your vehicle and you attach a Tomtom units cable to it as that will normally only supply a maximum of 0.5amp that will NOT be sufficient to run and charge the unit. The supplied Tomtom Adapter you put in a standard 12v Cig socket has a rated output of 5v 1.2amp which is designed to run and also charge up the device at the same time. With the latter set up I have never had a TT unit fail from lack of power even on a trip of over 1000 miles over 3 days.

If your power source is only giving you 5v and 0.28amps then this is well below the required output and will not run the device and in any way maintain the charge level at the same time. I would suggest you have the Mitsubishi's cig socket checked to see what its maximum power output is as 0.28amp is well below most standard car units.

Doug
    Thank you. That sounds like a plan although the connection is from the fusebox ! You have at least confirmed what i thought might be the problem and now i can investigate further.
    All the best
    Charles Holder
    edited June 17
    Hi
    @CRHolder
    GO 6200....
    Charging via the Screen Mount and Tomtom supplied Power Adapter....
    On power-up on the device is displaying the Red flat battery alarm Icon....
    The USB Doctor Displays = 5.19 Volts 1.09 Amps
    The Battery Status screen (Press and hold the on/off button until you hear a drum-roll sound Continue to hold the on/off button until the Black & White Status screen is shown)
    The Black & White Status screen is showing
    Battery Charge level = 7% (3825 mV) and climbing

GO Premium....
    On power-up on the device is displaying the Fully Charged Icon....

ebebfcff-7cf3-43d5-9479-ef4b7f2a85ed.jpg
    The USB Doctor Displays = 5.14 Volts 0.42 Amps
    Battery Charge level = 98% (4195 mV) and climbing

In summary... My two near identical devices behaved as expected by varying the charging current to suit the battery status and the Tomtom supplied 5Volt 1.2 Amp Power adapter is adequate to both run the individual device and charge the device at the same time....

Edit... After 2.5 Hours
    GO 6200....

On power-up on the device is displaying the Fully Charged Icon....
    The USB Doctor Displays = 5.05 Volts 0.00 Amps
    Battery Charge level = 99% (4173 mV) mV reading static

Is the Power Adapter a tight sliding fit in the power socket... Some users have posted about none standard oversize car power sockets....

Tap the 4Dot (.... Menu) button... On the Menu Screen top right is a battery status Icon
    Charging... Displays when Connected to a Power supply
    368fa599-f465-4a45-9274-b2b29b56a6d1.jpg
    Full Charge... Displays when Connected or Not Connected Power supply
    ebebfcff-7cf3-43d5-9479-ef4b7f2a85ed.jpg
    Half Charge... Displays when NOT Connected Power supply
    5c45ac4c-1a65-45a0-9b3b-8b88879a94cc.jpg
    Low Battery... Displays when NOT Connected Power supply
    29b0c6f3-11f1-4d8f-9543-eef314472a31.jpg
    One of the worst things you can do to a Lithium battery is to run it flat so at a certain percentage of discharge (Unspecified)... The device will go into 'Power Saving Mode' the screen will dull, and the device will eventually turn itself off (Not Sleep)

There is a Battery Status display available on the devices Status Screen
    Press and hold the on/off button until you hear a drum-roll sound Continue to hold the on/off button until the Black & White Status screen is shown.....
    c3623f43-813f-4ddf-9e35-af42824c5331.jpg
    If you are worrying about the device charging, you might consider one of these gadgets

63a11bd6-9bcb-49ec-b71b-9223d7c334dd.jpg
    Or

b23e2fef-ffbf-4127-80b0-646533d6f987.jpg
    Simply plug the device into the USB socket and plug your lead into the USB Doctor, the device will display the Voltage and Power being used by your various USB devices
    I have one of each type they're only peanuts to buy, search Amazon/eBay for USB Doctor

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
    Hi
    I have decided to get a fitter in to sort it out. Now I know its a power feed problem i will rather pay someone to refit the device. There is amobile fiter near me who fits TomToms so it will be worth it to have piece of mind.

By the way.

What is STC ?

and should it be reading Wed Nov 11 ... time 1970 ?

Seems strange
    edited June 17
    Hi
    @CRHolder

Do you mean RTC on the Black & White Status Screen ???
    After you have executed a Drum-roll Start or Soft Start it restarts the devices Operating System afresh....
    RTC = Real time Clock.... Thursday Jul 29 12:00: 00 1971... Is the default time/date embedded into the Real time Clock chip on the PCB... When the device locks onto the Satellite it downloads and sets the correct time & date....

See... RESETTING YOUR NAVIGATION DEVICE
    https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/6965//session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xNDI2NjM0NDUyL3NpZC9EQTdTVHpobQ

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
    Thank you.
    Looks as though I have an attack of Dyslexia.

That at least sorts that out. AllI have to do now is to get the unit to charge.

Once again
    Thank you
    edited June 17
    Hi
    @CRHolder

Just a thought... You have pushed the Micro USB plug fully home into the Mount
    They can be a tight fit the first time you insert the plug...

bhv1lv2l6ilv.jpg
    ATB YFM
    Over the years I have amassed so many TomTom parts, cables and mounts I could start an eBay shop. All purchased either from TomTom or official dealers.
    I have tried every cable plug and even a spare mount I have just purchased. I have plugged in, out used every USB charging device. The only thing I have not done is fit it to my wife’s car. (That’s not going to happen). I am sitting at home with the premium plugged into the mains with the info screen showing and things did not look good until ten minutes ago. It did not move from 38% for 30 minutes. I unplugged it, switched it off and on changed cables and plugs. It has now moved to 89% (4198mV ) but has sat there for 10 minutes.

I think I am about to buy a mount for my mobile phone and just use that. I have wasted £30 - £40 buying bits to see if I can make it work and I don’t think it is worth wasting any more of my money or time on this.

I may feel different tomorrow but today i have had enough.

Thank you for trying to help but as i said earlier the charging has stopped @ 89% so perhaps i have another faulty unit.
    edited June 17
    Hi
    @CRHolder

I would leave the device connected to a power supply and turn the device off using Turn-off Mode....
    Press & Hold the power button for couple of seconds for the 'Turn-off' menu to appear, select 'Turn-off' and leave it charging in the off state for a while....

ATB YFM
    I Still have serious concerns about the battery life or charging ability.
    On 24th fully charged I drove 7 miles.
    On 27th drove 14 miles
    On 28th drove 3 miles and not only did it fail but it was not charging enough to continue to work.
    The Unit continued to cycle on and off. I checked the charging rate from a direct fuse box line and again from a TomTom adapter in the cigarette lighter socket.
    Give or take, the readings where the same.
    Voltage 5.05 to 4.91
    Amps 0.45 to 0.46 .
    The charging rate at the unit was from 0% charge 2712mV, to 2800mV in the car. This stepped up to 4206mV on mains charge @ 65% charge.

1 What is the minimum Voltage and amperage required to both operate and charge the unit?
    2 How long can a 6” premium be left in sleep mode until the battery is flat?
    3 At what % of charge can the 6” premium fail to operate and recharge?
    4 How long will a fully charged 6” premium work on a car journey when plugged into a power source? (1 hour, 2 hours, 3 hours or longer?)
    My concern is that once again I set out on a journey and the unit goes flat while in use. How can this be prevented?
    edited June 28
    Hi
    @CRHolder
    Voltage 5.05 to 4.91 Amps 0.45 to 0.46 is what would expect from a PC USB2 port i.e... around 500 mA

Either the vehicle Power socket is outputting an low current or the power adapter is faulty )Should be capable of 1.2 Amps)
    Have you another vehicle to test the power adapter....

With the battery in my Go Premium in a lowish charge state... Charging via the Screen Mount and Tomtom supplied Power Adapter plugged in my Car Power Socket
    On power-up on the device is displaying 5.19 Volts 1.09 Amps

ATB YFM
    Hi.
    TomTom sent me a new cradle. I am going to strip everything out. Check all the wiring , the cradle, the fuse box, fit new everything. Will take some time but will report back ASAP
    Hi.
    OK I fitted the new cradle and changed the leads. Rewired the fuse box feed. It seems I am now achieving in the region of 0 .9 amps @ 5 to 5.2v. A vast improvement. Without knowing what I was looking for made it impossible to find the fault. It is a shame TomTom seemed unable to give me the technical information I needed. I would go so far as to say they have been totally useless as a source of help. On the other hand YamFazMan has given me the info I needed to sort out the problem. I will now test my improvements over the next few days and see how it goes.
    Thank you YamFazMan . Shame on you TomTom for being totally useless at customer service.
    edited July 1
    Hi
    @CRHolder
    You're welcome, glad your seeing an improved charging rate :)
    Have you checked the ground/earthing point for the vehicle power socket circuit
    A high resistance ground/earthing point will give the same symptoms....
    A User on the Rider Forum had used a ground/earthing point on the front forks of the motorcycle and the resistance/poor connection through the headstock bearing was causing the low charging rate....
    When the user ran the ground/earth wire directly back to the the battery it fixed the problem....

Hope you're soon sorted :)

Stay Safe... ATB YFM