RIder 550 / iPhone bluetooth connectivity - totally sucks?? (or is it me??) — TomTom Community

RIder 550 / iPhone bluetooth connectivity - totally sucks?? (or is it me??)

macleodalmacleodal Posts: 5 [Apprentice Traveler]
Help! I just don't understand how TomTom can be so completely s**t with Bluetooth so deep into the twenty-first century... but they are, I am 99.99% sure.

I am not trying to do anything difficult. I have an iPhone 11 Pro (not the plus, the standard size one but current version) with current software. My TomTom Rider 550 is also up to date with software.

When I try to go through the connection including the MyDrive app, one of several things happen NONE of which is as it should be:
- The pairing fails generally at some point
- It connects the first bluetooth pairing but fails the second bluetooth pairing (and then shows unconnected in MyDrive)
- It claims to have connected both bluetooth pairings (and on the 550 it actually shows as paired).. on iPhone in the bluetooth settings both pairings are shown as connected.. but MyDrive still shows disconnected
- The best I've ever had was a brief (less than 20seconds) period when the connection to the cloud / traffic / etc seemed to be working before it dropped.

I've done this over and over. Checked software levels. Deleted pairings and restarted. Everything. I cannot bear to talk to TomTom support (over email), they are useless and totally lacking in any knowledge -- all I ever get is multiple requests to reset my entire life, factory reset iphone, factory reset the 550, factory reset myself, then reconnect and hey presto it will all work but hey presto it doesn't.

The closest I've come to anything at all being usable is to completely ignore ALL instructions from TomTom, delete MyDrive, and just use wireless hotspot on my phone connected as WiFi -- you don't get any of the other "valuable features" e.g. messaging / alerts appearing, you just get basic connectivity, but at least you get the traffic. Even that fails sometimes too however... the other day it worked for half an hour then the wifi link dropped out but, to be fair, that could have been my phone or Vodafone.

Has anyone anywhere in the world ever got this to work? Any tricks other than factory reset I may not have tried.

And can anyone shed any light on the question as to why TomTom make this so ridiculously crap when every other device manufacturer cracked bluetooth years ago? I prefer the nav experience of TomTom over Garmin but I'm so fed up with this nonsense I am about to put my 550 in the bin and buy a new Garmin I think... unless I can get it sorted...

Thanks,

Alastair

Comments

• Ste7iosSte7ios Posts: 746 Superuser
    Bluetooth is problematic since Rider 400 era (count the years...). I fed up too with my 400, so I just use it for traffic & voice instructions.

The iPhone 6 is connected directly to the headset.
  • Motormuis_JanusMotormuis_Janus Posts: 1 [New Seeker]
    Exactly the same, it sucks. Support answer only general steps to solve. Nobody looks at the problems seriously. I am thinking of throwing this device through the window of the TT building.
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 4,767 [Elite Voyager]
    Hi @Motormuis_Janus

Have a look at the following and all the other posts on the same topic.

https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1700445/#Comment_1700445

Doug
  • HuggytjeHuggytje Posts: 2 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Can in ear buds such as Shure 251SE be paired with Rider 550, Please advise asap
    Thanks
  • HuggytjeHuggytje Posts: 2 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Sorry, it's about Shure SE 215 in ear buds
  • MitoMito Posts: 4 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Exact same problem here since upgrade iPhone to latest version 13, more than 6 months with no solution from TomTom.

In some EU countries (i.e. Spain) consumer laws protect us of purchasing a failing device or a device that does not meet specifications, as this is the case with Rider.

I encourage you all to ask for a refund of your Rider device as an alternative to this inoperative TomTom support response.

Also, if you are compromised with consumer rights, please recover as many proofs as possible: invoicing, support answers, videos,... to issue a consumer demand against TomTom through any official consumer office on your country and look for the support of local consumer associations (i.e. Organización de Consumidores y Usuarios in Spain).
  • SanttuSanttu Posts: 1 [Apprentice Seeker]
    rider 550 is expensive, and Bluetooth is breaking up all the time :'(
  • MarioPedrazaMarioPedraza Posts: 5 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Has anyone tried the bluetooth connection with the iOs 14 beta?