Missing POI option — TomTom Community

Missing POI option

Tony_M1Tony_M1 Posts: 5 [Apprentice Seeker]
In my TomTom go navigation for iOS there is no POI option somewhere in the menu. I cannot search on POI. The option is fully missing. I logged in on my account. I paid. I allowed using location. What can be wrong?

Comments

• PrivateerUKPrivateerUK Posts: 378 [Supreme Pioneer]
    edited June 2020
    Hi @Tony_M1,

Whilst you can load POIs to your iOS app via MyDrive you cannot search for them. The only way to use them is to tap on 'My Places' and manually scroll up/down until you find the POI of your choice. The inability to search your own POIs is a major let down by TomTom, especially as it was a feature in the original TomTom navigation iOS app.

This is why I keep only a few POIs in My Places and regularly remove the less used ones. I try to keep as few as I can in MyPlaces.

If you have multiple POI categories then I recommend that you use a POI manager app that allows you to search for POIs and when you've found the POI that you want you can get the app to send the coordinates to the TomTom navigation app.

Regards,
    edited June 2020
    Hi @Tony_M1,

I recommend POIViewer, by FrenchKiss Development. POIViewer is a POI Manager app, it can import .ov2, .csv, .GPX, and KML/KMZ files. POIViewer can create new POI categories as well as modify existing POI categories by adding/deleting/modifying individual POIs.

POIViewer can search for a POI from one or more POI categories (you can select which categories to search from). POIViewer can find the nearest POI to your current location or to another POI.

Launch POIViewer and once you've found the POI that you want, you can either display it (map or satellite view) in POIViewer or get POIViewer to launch TomTom GO Navigation with that POI as your destination.

The only downside (and this is minor) is that although TomTom GO Navigation iOS now supports URL Scheme, TomTom only allows the passing of the destination but not the destination's name, therefore, POIViewer can't pass on the name of the POI so that it appears in recent destinations. If you have the original TomTom SatNav iOS app (which does have URL Scheme support) you'll see how that works.

Until TomTom adds full custom POI support to TomTom GO Navigation, POIViewer will be an essential addon.

POIViewer works with most other iOS SatNav apps, so you can use the same POIs with TomTom, Waze, Google Maps, CoPilot, Navigon, Sygic, etc).

Finally, POIViewer costs £3.99 but it is worth it. I have no connection with POIViewer or its author except for being a very satisfied customer.

Regards,
  • Tony_M1Tony_M1 Posts: 5 [Apprentice Seeker]
    My problem is a little different:
    When I choose “navigate to” I can choose:
    - home
    - Work
    - favorite
    - Contact
    - recent

There is no POI, that’s my problem

What can be the problem?
    Who has the solution?

Thanks in advance.
    Hi @Tony_M1,

Have you loaded your POIs (i.e. an .ov2 file) into MyPlaces?

If you have, then go to * Favourites which will list: Home; Work; Recent destinations; Contacts; Photos; and then your own POIs / Favourites.

Personally, I store all of my different POI categories as MS Excel .xlsx files. These are my 'master files' with loads of extra data as phone numbers, create date, update date, confirmed date (i.e. when I physically visit a POI for the first time as I create POIs using Google Earth), URLs for OSM and TomTom maps, etc. I then extract the necessary columns and create an .ov2 file which can either be imported into MyPlaces or into POIViewer.

If you (like me) have loads of different POI categories with 1,000s of individual POIs then you'll find POIViewer much better for handling and using your POIs.

Regards,
    Thanks PrivateerUK,

I do not need my own POI’s
    I just need the default POI who should be in the app. But POI is not there in the app.
    edited June 2020
    Hi @Tony_M1,

Built-in POIs are there but you need to use search. What type of POI are you looking for? i.e. a list of all POIs for a particular category or the name of an individual POI?

Let's use 'Hotels' as an example

Use Search, type 'hotel' in the input line and choose whether you want: whole map; near me; in town or city; along route; near destination; latitude longitude.

you can then search give the details that pop up.

What are you looking for and where and I'll have a look.

By the way, in my experience, the built-in POIs are not that accurate and that's why I use my own by using Google Earth / Streetmap so I can get directed to the actual entrance. Obviously you need to create those POIs in advance so in a pinch I will use built-in POIs when I haven't had a chance to create my own.

Regards,
    Hello PrivateerUK,

Thanks for your info. Indeed I can use POI’s. Just type e.g. “Restaurant” in the search field and I will find restaurants. Type “Hotel” and I find Hotels.

Full list of categories is here:
    ( I use Dutch version of TomTom so this is a Dutch list).

http://download.tomtom.com/open/manuals/new_GO/html/nl-nl/ListofPOItypeicons.htm

But what I prefer is not to type these categories off course but that there is an option “POI” where I can scroll through and choose the category I want. Just in the same as the e.g. old TomTom Europe did. I really do not understand this possibility is not there in the current TomTom go navigation for iOS version. Maybe I need to wait for an update.

Regards.
    edited June 2020
    Hi @Tony_M1,

You are looking for TomTom GO Navigation iOS app to list built-in POI categories and sub-categories from which you can search for a particular POI by additional criteria (e.g. name; near me; in town or city; along route; near destination; latitude longitude). As you have found, this is unfortunately not possible.

I agree that it would be useful. However, I don't think that TomTom will reintroduce listing of built-in POI categories and sub-categories. TomTom used to allow custom POI categories to be listed (with their own icons) in the same list as built-in POI categories. But TomTom is very much against custom POI categories ever since TomTom iOS GO Mobile was first released in February 2016.

The only solution that I can offer is to either print out the list of the built-in POI categories (from the above URL) and keep it with you or keep an electronic copy on your phone, both for reference. Not the best solution but it would work.

Regards,
    Hello PrivateerUK,

Thanks for your answer. You gave me the right answer. I already printed a list and I have a digital copy on my phone. Despite this solutions is not user-friendly I can live with this workaround. I really do not understand that TomTom downgrades functionallity in newer versions.

I also asked the same question to the TomTom support Team. Unfortunately they gave me the wrong answer. They send me a screenshot of an older TomTom version. In the older version indeed there is a "Points of interest". But in my version of TomTom POI it is not there....

Thanks again for your answers.
    I close this ticket because I can live with the workaround.