Bricked device — TomTom Community

Bricked device

QC_MajQC_Maj Posts: 8 [New Seeker]
Good Afternoon,

The last software update has bricked my TomTom Go 520. I was wondering if you could send me a rolled back version of the software? or can I send the device to you? I have been trying for the past 3 weeks to fix it but I think the software has too many bugs. Yogi on support told me that I just need to keep trying but it has been over 100 hours now.

Answers

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 17,064
    Superusers
    edited June 4
    Hi
    @QC_Maj
    Welcome to the site...
    The NAV5 (Wi-Fi) devices normally update using Wi-Fi....

If Wi-Fi is not Available or is Slow/Unstable/Unreliable.....
    See Option... (2) Connect over USB....

TomTom Video... Updating your navigation device using Wi-Fi®

If you have successfully connected your device to your Wi-Fi....
    To check your Connection Speed, Signal Strength & Quality
    On the Device... Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Settings --> Wi-Fi
    Tap on the Your Wi-fi name (The one Showing as connected)
    A new Menu Page opens

7g8gwfpx1swt.jpg
    On the left-hand side of the screen is your Wi-Fi Connection Status

Tomtom recommend a minimum Wi-Fi download speed of 30Mbps
    Tomtom NAV5 (Wi-Fi) devices will only connect to a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network
    All the update actions are executed on the device...

Option... (1) Connected Wi-Fi
    Tap the 4Dot(.... Menu) --> Setting --> Updates & New Items
    Extra Maps are Installed/Maintained... Tap the 4Dot(.... Menu) --> Setting --> Maps

I always update my devices one Update at a time
    The NavCore Application and QuickFixGPS updates are force ticked by Tomtom... Deselect any other updates like Maps, Speed Cams etc... Update the mandatory item/s first, when complete update the remaining items one at a time

Note... NAV(5 Wifi) devices connected over Wifi do not require MyDrive Connect to be running Even if myDrive is running you have no access the MyDrive Connect menu structures as used by the previous NAV3 & 4 devices

Option... (2) Connected USB
    If Wi-Fi is not available or is slow/unstable/unreliable.....
    Tomtom recommend a minimum Wi-Fi download speed of 30Mbps

Connecting hard-wired over USB is normally more reliable than any Over The Air Connections
    Updating your new device over USB will require "MyDrive Connect"
    Get it here..... https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/12428
    Install and Run MyDrive Connect... Do not have your Tomtom device connected to your PC while installing MyDrive Connect
    There's no need to login to MyDrive Connect... See Note... (1)
    Connect your Device to a USB Port on your PC
    The Update will hopefully complete

If your using a Laptop it would be also more advisable to use a hard-wire connection back from the Laptop to the Router....

Note... (1) MyDrive Connect will only show a "Splash screen" saying "Connect your device using Wifi" etc....

27bxc59f2s23.png
    If required you can close the 'Main Mydrive Window' showing the "Connect your device using Wifi" Splash screen... MyDrive Connect only needs to run in the background on the PC TaskBar... The NAV(5 Wifi) devices have no access the MyDrive Menu structures as used by the previous NAV3 & 4 devices
    Updating a NAV5 (Wi-Fi) device using USB is the same as using Wi-Fi, all of the update actions are executed on the device...
    Tap the 4Dot(.... Menu) --> Setting --> Updates & New Items
    Extra Maps are Installed/Maintained... Tap the 4Dot(.... Menu) --> Setting --> Maps

Stay Safe,,, ATB YFM
  • QC_MajQC_Maj Posts: 8 [New Seeker]
    No, That didn't answer my question. The device is still going round and round just restarting over and over again. I have tried the soft restart. Can i send it back to you for you to do it?

Thank you
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 5,569
    Superuser
    Hi @QC_Maj

Does this help.

Doug
    Superusers
    edited June 4
    Hi
    @QC_Maj
    QC_Maj wrote: »
    No, That didn't answer my question. The device is still going round and round just restarting over and over again. I have tried the soft restart. Can i send it back to you for you to do it?
    Thank you
    This is a Tomtom User site...
    Where Tomtom users help each other... The site is overseen by Tomtom staff....
    What are you you trying to update i.e... Maps or more ???
    Is the device locked into a constant Update loop i.e... Update by 'x' Percent say 99% and then keep restating
    Or Is the device locked into a constant Restart loop....
    Are there any error Messages
    Is you device connected via Wi-Fi or over USB
    How Fast/Slow Is your Internet connection is the connection Stable/Unstable/Unreliable
    Is your PC's Virus protection interrupting the download

Tomtom Support....
    Due to COVID-19 the phone service has been suspended....
    Tomtom Direct Email & Chat Links by Country....
    Click on required Countries Email or Chat Link....
    Here... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1122389/customer-service-contact-details-during-covid-19-epidemic/p1

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
    DougLap wrote: »
    Hi @QC_Maj

Does this help.

Doug

hello doug, i have been doing that for 100 hours. Doesn't work. I don't ever get the spining wheel.
    YamFazMan wrote: »
    Hi
    @QC_Maj
    QC_Maj wrote: »
    Thank you
    This is a Tomtom User site...
    Where Tomtom users help each other... The site is overseen by Tomtom staff....
    What are you you trying to update i.e... Maps or more ???
    Is the device locked into a constant Update loop i.e... Update by 'x' Percent say 99% and then keep restating
    Or Is the device locked into a constant Restart loop....
    Are there any error Messages
    Is you device connected via Wi-Fi or over USB
    How Fast/Slow Is your Internet connection is the connection Stable/Unstable/Unreliable
    Is your PC's Virus protection interrupting the download

Tomtom Support....
    Here... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1122389/customer-service-contact-details-during-covid-19-epidemic/p1

Stay Safe... ATB YFM

Hello, sorry i thought you were from TomTom as they keep recommending that i use this forum feature. It just diplays the image sdno7g4fzi4u.jpg and then when rest every time i try the video from doug? do you know if i can send it tomtom. I have spent hours trying to fix it due to the update. I don't want to just throw it away as was suggested over email because it cost me a lot of money and that wasted more resources.
    Superusers
    edited June 4
    Hi
    @QC_Maj
    It looks like Recovery Mode has already initialized on your device.....
    When in Recovery Mode... The device MUST be capable showing as Connected over a USB Cable for the Recovery process to complete....

TomTom FAQ....
    Navigation device not starting or displaying a cross....
    I think the device is at bullet-point (9)
    Here... https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1898/kw/Recovery

If you are running Windows10 ???
    Maybe Win 10s Troubleshooter will fix the Driver Problems (Or any other USB problems)
    See... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1704286/#Comment_1704286

ATB YFM
    hello, i have left it plugged in over night and it still just goes round in circles. The drivers don't have a yellow triangle and are not having any problem. Do you have any other suggestions? i shouldn't have updated it.
    after it has done the restart it will then just go back to the photo again
    Superusers
    Hi
    @QC_Maj
    Recovery mode... Usually rolls the NavKit Back to the previous version
    Warning... I would not use Recovery Mode on just a whim... In my experience, anyone trying to activate Recovery Mode... Without a fully active connection Via a USB Cable & MyDrive Connect could have real problems....

Once Recovery Mode is initiated, and a connection to MDC is NOT established... Recovery Mode will continue to attempt to connect to MDC until the Server eventually times-out
    Any attempts at a Restart... The device, will continue to display a Splash screen with Image of a PC and a Red Cross or a Screen displaying a Spinning disc, until Recovery mode can establish a connection to MyDrive Connect or the Server eventually times-out

Contact Tomtom Support they may be able to cancel Recovery Mode on the back-end servers ???

Stay Safe... ATB YFM