GO WIFI Premium vs GO 600 TomTom — TomTom Community

GO WIFI Premium vs GO 600 TomTom

marchendmarchend Posts: 116 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
So what is the difference between my GO600 satnav and the latest GO WIFI Premium 6inch satnav besides the Premium having free lifetime speed camera updates.

I'm thinking of upgrading but not if there is no real benefits apart from the lifetime camera updates.

Answers

• dmulvdmulv Posts: 666 Superuser
    Computer-free wifi updates, displaying of messages and hands-free calling from your phone, IFTTT integration, and a built-in data connection would be the highlights.

But I think the biggest improvement would be the better hardware, with the whole thing being a lot more responsive in its interactions with you, route calculations, etc..
  • marchendmarchend Posts: 116 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    I came across this part review of the GO Premium from a customer which is a little concerning and which I can relate to as my GO600 does this sometimes.

'It recommends daft and dangerous alternative routes off the motorway, then leads you back again. It takes you on dangerous dirt roads and unnecessary B roads, when all you want is to continue your journey on the main road. In a town it prefers back streets leading you into remote areas. At night these recommendations are damn right dangerous, especially where there are ditches and you have to reverse and find your way out again.'
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 4,799 Superuser
    edited June 1
    Hi @marchend

There have been the odd report of these things happening but I find my GO Camper and GO5200 which are similar versions to your Premium seem to work just the same as my GO5000 did. Indeed my GO Camper has not directed me past a Junction and told me to take the next left in 20 mtrs then drive along the single track road with parking spaces in front of a parade of shops before directing me back to the Turning it directed me past in the first place. All as recommended by a Garmin Camper I have that was fully up date which now has stopped suggesting that Route but now recommends a route 3 miles longer than the suitable 2 mile one which is the way suggested before after passing the shops..

No Sat Nav is perfect despite what some would have you believe but my units have directed me up to and around Scotland, around lots of France and Spain with excursions into a few other European countries with no problems.

Doug
    Thanks Doug

Is the GO Premium hands free phone answering compatible with any smart phone?
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 4,799 Superuser
    Hi @marchand

The Premium models are capable of handsfree calling with iOS and Android phones.

There is an issue with e Apple phones with IOS version 13 and later. When Apple introduced this IOS version the My Drive App used in conjunction with Bluetooth stopped working. As this has been the situation since September 2019 I assume that a simple change to the App is not an option. The absence of the My Drive App connection means that the messaging facility previously available no longer works.

I have a Apple phone and the handsfree works on my TT units if I pair the phone with both the Bluetooth and Hotspot options turned on. You do not have to input the Hotspots password when you do this.

Doug
    Thank Doug. I have a six year old android smart phone, so hopefully should I purchase the satnav it will work OK.

I know I'm asking allot of questions at the moment, I just want to make sure it's worth me upgrading.