Planning a "Stub Stop" on MyDrive Web — TomTom Community

Planning a "Stub Stop" on MyDrive Web

Rob_RRob_R Posts: 56 [Supreme Trailblazer]
I actually quite like MyDrive Web. It's not perfect by any means but having persevered with it, I can mostly make it do exactly what I want and planning routes on a PC screen is much easier than on a phone or on the device itself.

There is however one area where I struggle to get it to do what I want which is planning what I call a "Stub Stop".

What I mean by this is going to a place where I actually want to stop for a while and where I turn off down a side road and stop some distance down the road. After the stop I want to depart back the way I came i.e. return to the main road but mostly I cannot get MyDrive web to do this.

From experimentation it seems to me that the routing is insisting that I pass through a stop i.e. carry on in the same direction of travel when I leave. If the stop is down a dead end then it will route back but if not, as a minimum it seems to insist that I travel on down the road until I reach a point where I can turn round which is normally another junction. In itself this isn't too bad and might make some sense however often it doesn't even do this but instead it creates superfluous loops to eventually take me back to the road I wanted to return to.

I did look to see if there was some setting to enable/disable U-Turns but I couldn't see one.

Am I missing something?

If not is this an area that the developers could look at?

Suggestions would be:

1. Have a function to enable/disable U-Turns at Stops

or

2. Always allowing (but not enforcing) a U-Turn at a stop. This should apply to "hard stops" but not to a via-point as the word "via" does imply onward travel. If this was possible, you could always override a U-Turn that was forced by current routing at a hard stop, if required, by adding a via-point further down the road.

What do others think?

Answers

• DanielForniesSoriaDanielForniesSoria Posts: 59 [Sovereign Trailblazer]
    Hi Rob_R,

If I understand correctly, you want to stop somewhere, then drive from there to the 'main' road and continue. The route planner is probably insisting you continue ahead though if it things that's faster otherwise.
    If that's correct, the way I'd do it today is to first add that stop, and then, if the route line insists on continuing ahead, drag the line from ahead of that stop back to the main road you want to continue off (if you want to sync that as stops only to your device, then instead of dragging the line directly, you can add a fake stop after your real one and then drag that fake stop itself back).
    I don't think we have easy means to do what you say automatically since it's hard to guess what the 'main' road might be at the time, since the routing engine just tries hard to send you the fastest route whatever that might be.
    Hope that helps (for now).

Best Regards,
    Daniel
  • Rob_RRob_R Posts: 56 [Supreme Trailblazer]
    Thanks for the reply.

I've tried doing that but you end up in knots with looping routes all over the place or at least I do.

You can even experiment with a very, very short route and you will find, or at least I do, that the system insists on making you carry on further even when it is clearly shorter to back-track.

Here is an example:

o1pugpz9781l.png

Notice how it insists on routing onwards to the end of the road beafore you turn around and come back and yet it is obvious that simply leaving the stop point in the opposite direction would be both faster and shorter (routing was set to fastest in this instance). It can get even worse if it's possible to loop round within a short distance but at least in this case it just goes to the end of the road and back.

It's not a major issue. My work around when planning is to plan a route to the stop and then a separate route after so I simply switch to the new route after the stop but it's a shame as it's one of the few areas where I still struggle with the planning tool.

I was recently planning a trip to the Somme (now sadly cancelled!) where we had a number of such stops on a days route and it meant I had to create several routes rather than just one for the day. Not insurmountable but not how I would like it.
  • DanielForniesSoriaDanielForniesSoria Posts: 59 [Sovereign Trailblazer]
    edited May 2020
    Hi Rob_R,

Ok, from your example I see another issue (technically unrelated to my suggested workaround). Looks like the routing engine does not think it's possible/legal to do a U turn until you reach that crossing in Lower Naezing. Can you confirm that's incorrect?

Best Regards,

Daniel
  • Rob_RRob_R Posts: 56 [Supreme Trailblazer]
    Hi - yes I think that's exactly what is going on.

From experimentation it normally always takes you onward to the next junction as a minimum. As I said in my original post I can understand why it might do this as it is catering for all sorts of "travellers" (lorries, cars, bikes, runners, walkers, etc), some of which would clearly not be able to turn around at an arbitrary point (and maybe not at the end of the road either!!) but some of those clearly can so it would be nice to have the option to override.

Actually simple stubs are not so bad but here is a real example from my Somme Trip:

ndnhyjvve2rc.png

In this instance it insists on taking me on a large detour for no other reason than not doubling back. Worse still if I try to "force it by clicking and dragging a point over from the route I don't want to follow, to the road I do, it gets really crazy:

yd46km3nrs10.png

It's not clear here what the exact route sequence is but it's clearly not sensible!

As I said before it's not a major issue as I can work round it but it's slightly irritating.

It is interesting however to see what others think - thanks for your interest anyway.