i planned a route on mydrive, saved it as a gpx file and sent it to my new rider 550 somehow. Howev — TomTom Community

i planned a route on mydrive, saved it as a gpx file and sent it to my new rider 550 somehow. Howev

MoBobberMoBobber Posts: 4 [Apprentice Seeker]
for some reason my rider 550 sends me via a fastest route and does not stick to my customised route

Best Answer

• Rob_RRob_R Posts: 53 [Supreme Trailblazer]
    Accepted Answer
    Sadly not necessarily!

Here is my experience and why I tend to use tracks instead of routes:

A route is a collection of points. In it's simplest form it's a single point which is the destination. On MyDrive, if you pick a destination you get the option to "Send Destination" to the device which effectively creates a route. If you also add some stop points that option changes from "Send Destination" to "Send Stops" - it's the same thing but with all of the defined points being sent.

What I have found is that when you do this the "route" that ends up on the device is set up using "Fastest" routing regardless of what settings you used in MyDrive. Consequently, you almost always end up with a different physical path because your device is left to decide how to get from point to point and if it's settings are different (Fastest rather than say, Thrill) it will make different choices.

Here are your options:

1. Once the route has been sent to the device, go into the menu, select current route, scroll across to "Change Route Type" and change it from "Fastest" to "Winding route". This should result in something more closely associated with what you planned on MyDrive assuming you used the Thrill option. If you used "Fastest" on MyDrive then actually they should be pretty similar anyway. Doing this however will not, in my experience, 100% guarantee the same physical path. This is probably due to differences in the routing on the Rider 550 and MyDrive as they don't have identical settings. The results should however, be much closer to what you planned.

2. When planning the route, add stops to force routing down roads you want to travel. Doing this and then changing the settings as above can often result in pretty much what you wanted. The only issue here is that there is, for some reason, a limit on the number of stop points that can be sent to the device. I'm not sure of the exact number but it's in the range of 20-30. So you cannot be too liberal with the stop points.

3. Sync the route as a track - what this does is create a track that follows the exact path that you originally planned. A track is also just a collection of points but they are about 40m apart (like a trail of breadcrumbs) so it doesn't really matter what settings are on the device as the routing decision between points that are 40m apart are pretty limited. So syncing as a track should give you the exact path you planned. Now I know you said you originally did that so I am somewhat surprised you had a problem. It works for me!

Some things to bear in mind:

1. A track will not pay attention to traffic info because you have defined the path. If a road is closed it will still take you there because you gave it no choice. You can still see traffic info but the device will not take it into account.

2. If you deviate from a track the device will attempt to take you back to the track. I'm not quite sure whether it's just trying to get back to the closest point on the track (more experimentation needed) but you can get a lot of "turn around when possible" instructions.

3. If you deviate from a route, it will try to find it's way to the next defined point and in fact, will insist upon it. So if the unplanned detour effectively bypasses the stop point you have to manually skip next stop otherwise it will absolutely insist on taking you there anyway

4. Some route planning tools, MyDrive included, define both a route AND a track within the .gpx file they generate. When you import the file you can end up with both a route and a track. You can check this out by creating a route on MyDrive, exporting it to a .gpx file, deleting the route on MyDrive and then re-importing the file. You will end up with something called "Route-routename" and also one called "Track-routename" so when importing, make sure you are not accidentally using a route (subject to the issues described above) rather than a track - This caught me out at first.

I hope some of the above, based upon my own experience and experimentation helps. I got frustrated when I first started but now I can pretty much make it do what I want, so persevere!

Answers

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 17,070
    Superusers
    Hi
    @MoBobber
    Welcome to the site...
    Are you using the MyDrive App or MyDrive Web Route planner ???
    Are you using Save & Sync option or Send Stops ???

May be useful... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1704300/#Comment_1704300

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • MoBobberMoBobber Posts: 4 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Hi, thanks for your response.
    I used the web mydrive planner and the 'Sync this route as a track to my device' and also I managed to download the route as a gpx file to my PC and send it to my connected device by right clicking the gpx file.
    I do not have a 'send stops' option but there is a 'Send destination' option but not sure what that does!
    thanks
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 17,070
    Superusers
    edited May 24
    MoBobber wrote: »
    (Snip) I do not have a 'send stops' option but there is a 'Send destination' option but not sure what that does!
    thanks
    From the link in my original reply....
    May be useful... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1704300/#Comment_1704300

Using a .ITN Route planned on the MDW Route planner...
    The latest version of MyDrive Web Route planner....
    For .ITN Routes with NO Stops... The Menu Shows 'Send Destination'
    iiqpfjt825ei.jpg
    For .ITN Routes with Stops........... The Menu Changes to 'Send Stops'
    z9lgonvfc3fi.jpg
    stay safe... ATB YFM
  • MoBobberMoBobber Posts: 4 [Apprentice Seeker]
    edited May 24
    ok, thanks, I understand that. I just needed to know why when using the route installed on my devise to travel along my custom route it deviated from the route i panned on the web MyDrive route planner. So if I select 'send destination' or 'send stops' this will be an ITN route and the device will not deviate from my custom route? thanks
  • Rob_RRob_R Posts: 53 [Supreme Trailblazer]
    Accepted Answer
    Sadly not necessarily!

Here is my experience and why I tend to use tracks instead of routes:

A route is a collection of points. In it's simplest form it's a single point which is the destination. On MyDrive, if you pick a destination you get the option to "Send Destination" to the device which effectively creates a route. If you also add some stop points that option changes from "Send Destination" to "Send Stops" - it's the same thing but with all of the defined points being sent.

What I have found is that when you do this the "route" that ends up on the device is set up using "Fastest" routing regardless of what settings you used in MyDrive. Consequently, you almost always end up with a different physical path because your device is left to decide how to get from point to point and if it's settings are different (Fastest rather than say, Thrill) it will make different choices.

Here are your options:

1. Once the route has been sent to the device, go into the menu, select current route, scroll across to "Change Route Type" and change it from "Fastest" to "Winding route". This should result in something more closely associated with what you planned on MyDrive assuming you used the Thrill option. If you used "Fastest" on MyDrive then actually they should be pretty similar anyway. Doing this however will not, in my experience, 100% guarantee the same physical path. This is probably due to differences in the routing on the Rider 550 and MyDrive as they don't have identical settings. The results should however, be much closer to what you planned.

2. When planning the route, add stops to force routing down roads you want to travel. Doing this and then changing the settings as above can often result in pretty much what you wanted. The only issue here is that there is, for some reason, a limit on the number of stop points that can be sent to the device. I'm not sure of the exact number but it's in the range of 20-30. So you cannot be too liberal with the stop points.

3. Sync the route as a track - what this does is create a track that follows the exact path that you originally planned. A track is also just a collection of points but they are about 40m apart (like a trail of breadcrumbs) so it doesn't really matter what settings are on the device as the routing decision between points that are 40m apart are pretty limited. So syncing as a track should give you the exact path you planned. Now I know you said you originally did that so I am somewhat surprised you had a problem. It works for me!

Some things to bear in mind:

1. A track will not pay attention to traffic info because you have defined the path. If a road is closed it will still take you there because you gave it no choice. You can still see traffic info but the device will not take it into account.

2. If you deviate from a track the device will attempt to take you back to the track. I'm not quite sure whether it's just trying to get back to the closest point on the track (more experimentation needed) but you can get a lot of "turn around when possible" instructions.

3. If you deviate from a route, it will try to find it's way to the next defined point and in fact, will insist upon it. So if the unplanned detour effectively bypasses the stop point you have to manually skip next stop otherwise it will absolutely insist on taking you there anyway

4. Some route planning tools, MyDrive included, define both a route AND a track within the .gpx file they generate. When you import the file you can end up with both a route and a track. You can check this out by creating a route on MyDrive, exporting it to a .gpx file, deleting the route on MyDrive and then re-importing the file. You will end up with something called "Route-routename" and also one called "Track-routename" so when importing, make sure you are not accidentally using a route (subject to the issues described above) rather than a track - This caught me out at first.

I hope some of the above, based upon my own experience and experimentation helps. I got frustrated when I first started but now I can pretty much make it do what I want, so persevere!