? Send .ITN files to GO Comfort 6" ? — TomTom Community

? Send .ITN files to GO Comfort 6" ?

How do I send an .ITN file to my TomTom GO Comfort 6"?
* Can it be done with a USB cable & a Windows-10 PC?
* Can it be done over WiFi?

Notes:
1.) I am a registered user of MyDrive and MyRoute Gold.
2.) Currently I can save 'Tracks' to my TomTom GPS, but not 'Routes".
3.) I prefer to send Routes rather than Tracks to my GPS since I am under the impression Routes are dynamic and Tracks are static.

Thank you!

Best Answers

Answers

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 16,485 Superusers
    edited May 23
    Hi
    @Electrojake
    Welcome to the site....
    May be useful....
    I prefer .ITN Routes....
    A Route planned directly on the device is a .ITN Route
    An .ITN Route uses Stops and the device plans the route between the stops... An .ITN Route will will respond to Live Traffic and any route deviations BUT an .ITN route will doggedly follow the stops in the order they were created, if you miss a stop, the device will continuously attempt to guide you to the missed stop... You have to cancel the problem stop on the device to avoid it

If you want to force a different route you simply add more stops
    Note...When you add the extra Stops Max Zoom right into the road
    Don't put the stop on the wrong side of a dual track road (Journey loop back errors)
    Don't put the stop up a side-road... It may guide you though a built-up area via side streets back to your route, instead of a u-turn
    Don't put the stop on on a traffic Island always place a guidance stop further up road on the route after the required traffic island exit....

Using the MyDrive Web Route planner....

Using a .ITN Route planned on the MDW Route planner...
    The latest version of MyDrive Web Route planner....
    For .ITN Routes with NO Stops... The Menu Shows 'Send Destination'
    iiqpfjt825ei.jpg
    For .ITN Routes with Stops........... The Menu Changes to 'Send Stops'
    z9lgonvfc3fi.jpg
    The MyDrive Web Route planner only sends the route to the device as a Destination... Or if you add Stops it send it as a Route (But it's is not automatically saved in MyRoutes)
    If you are using .ITN route and 'Send Stops'
    see my workaround below

x9kkavu7m0o4.jpg

qkw01ev5tv6s.jpg

Complex Twenty Stop .ITN Route Rider 400
    lv3gbgezr1sx.jpg

Be Aware .ITN Routes....
    If your starting point IS NOT your present location there's a BUG
    When using the 'Send Stops' option, during an "A" to "B" route transfer and when 'A' IS NOT your present location...
    The device drops Location "A"
    This bug also applies also to Multi-Stop/Waypoint routes... 'A' to 'B' to 'C' to' D' to 'E' etc...

Important....
    For a more detailed info about the 'Dropped 1st Stop Bug'
    Click on the Link...
    https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1198253/#Comment_1198253

This is the workaround method I use....

The Tomtom MyDrive Web Route Planner....
    Get it Here... https://mydrive.tomtom.com

(1).... Plan my Route with the MyDrive Web Route planner (With or Without Stops as required)

(2)... Then Zoom in... Place a Sacrificial stop close to the Start Icon

8eaec27f-eba6-4332-bbb7-38ecfdac3110.png
    (4)... Choose the 'Send Stops' option... The route will sync to your device

(5)... The device will calculate your route from your 'Present location'
    (5.1)... The device will calculate your route using Stops in the order that you placed the Stops in the route
    (5.2)... If the planned Start of the Route is your 'Present location'... Then skip Bullet-point... (6)

(6)...When the route has calculated, Pinch zoom to the correct start of your Route (The Sacrificial Stop Icon) 'Long Tap' (Tap and hold for +1 second) on the Sacrificial Stop Icon --> A quick menu opens --> Tap the 3Dot icon --> Choose 'Use as a Starting Point'
    The device will calculate your route from your new location

(7)... Saving the Route
    'Quick Tap' anywhere on the Route --> A quick menu opens --> Tap the 3Dot icon --> Manage route --> Add to my Routes.... Edit the route name as required or simply Tap Add

Note... (1) A 'Quick Tap' and 'Long Tap' of the screen gives different menu options
    Note... (2) The MyDrive Web Route planner will sync a route with a Max of 20 stops

Stay Safe... ATB YFM

• ElectrojakeElectrojake Posts: 4 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Thank you YamFazMan,
    I appreciate you taking the time to post the detailed reply. This is my first TomTom unit (although I've been a Garmin user since the their early days).
    Understandably there is a lot for this TomTom rookie to learn.

Most of the topics that I have uncovered here on my earlier searches for .ITN imports and 'route' vs. 'track' were directly related to the Rider unit so I had no idea if something basic like my GO Comfort 6" could do any of that.

It would appear as if the GO Comfort 6" that I have is NOT recognizable by a Windows PC when connected to a USB port. That certainly reduces my flexibility on route imports and such.

And yes, I can build routes on my PC and then transfer them as 'tracks' via WiFi to my GO Comfort very easily. For now that will be fine. (Still learning the other stuff).
    Thanks again for the detailed instruction! =)
    Regards,
    Jake
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 16,485 Superusers
    edited May 23
    Hi
    @Electrojake
    The NAV5 (Wi-Fi) devices normally update using Wi-Fi....
    If Wi-Fi is not available or is slow/unstable/unreliable.....

See Option... (2) Connect over USB....

TomTom Video... Updating your navigation device using Wi-Fi®

If you have successfully connected your device to your Wi-Fi....
    To check your Connection Speed, Signal Strength & Quality
    On the Device... Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Settings --> Wi-Fi
    Tap on the Your Wi-fi name (The one Showing as connected)
    A new Menu Page opens

7g8gwfpx1swt.jpg
    On the left-hand side of the screen is your Wi-Fi Connection Status

Tomtom recommend a minimum Wi-Fi download speed of 30Mbps
    Tomtom NAV5 (Wi-Fi) devices will only connect to a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network
    All the update actions are executed on the device...

Option... (1) Connected Wi-Fi
    Tap the 4Dot(.... Menu) --> Setting --> Updates & New Items
    Extra Maps are Installed/Maintained... Tap the 4Dot(.... Menu) --> Setting --> Maps

I always update my devices one Update at a time
    The NavCore Application and QuickFixGPS updates are force ticked by Tomtom... Deselect any other updates like Maps, Speed Cams etc... Update the mandatory item/s first, when complete update the remaining items one at a time

Note... NAV(5 Wifi) devices connected over Wifi do not require MyDrive Connect to be running Even if myDrive is running you have no access the MyDrive Connect menu structures as used by the previous NAV3 & 4 devices

Option... (2) Connected USB
    If Wi-Fi is not available or is slow/unstable/unreliable.....
    Tomtom recommend a minimum Wi-Fi download speed of 30Mbps

Connecting hard-wired over USB is normally more reliable than any Over The Air Connections
    Updating your new device over USB will require "MyDrive Connect"
    Get it here..... https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/12428
    Install and Run MyDrive Connect
    There's no need to login to MyDrive Connect... See Note... (1)
    Connect your Device to a USB Port on your PC
    The Update will hopefully complete

If your using a Laptop it would be also more advisable to use a hard-wire connection back from the Laptop to the Router....

Note... (1) MyDrive Connect will only show a "Splash screen" saying "Connect your device using Wifi" etc....

27bxc59f2s23.png
    If required you can close the 'Main Mydrive Window' showing the "Connect your device using Wifi" Splash screen... MyDrive Connect only needs to run in the background on the PC TaskBar... The NAV(5 Wifi) devices have no access the MyDrive Menu structures as used by the previous NAV3 & 4 devices
    Updating a NAV5 (Wi-Fi) device using USB is the same as using Wi-Fi, all of the update actions are executed on the device...
    Tap the 4Dot(.... Menu) --> Setting --> Updates & New Items
    Extra Maps are Installed/Maintained... Tap the 4Dot(.... Menu) --> Setting --> Maps

ATB YFM
    I just made a breakthrough!

I can get .ITN files into my TomTom Go Comfort by writing them to a MicroSD card and then using the SD card as the transfer medium!

See this link. . .
    http://download.tomtom.com/open/manuals/new_GO/html/en-gb/Importingroutesandtracksfromamemorycard-GO,START,TRUCKERandWings.htm

Finally! ! !
    After days of searching, reading, experimenting, and continued failures I have a discovered way of accessing the GO Comfort!

In hindsight it seems so simple now... but first I had to prove (beyond my own disbelief) that USB and WiFi simply would not work. It was only then that I started searching "outside the box" and found the SD card trick.

But regardless, I'm happy now.
    In spite of TomTom's best efforts *wink* I am now able to import anything I wish into the GO Comfort's internal memory.

Thanks again @YamFazMan for all the great info you have been posting here. It helped me immensely. :)
    Regards,
    Jake
    100% Agreed @YamFazMan!
    At some point I really should read the damn manual! LoL ;)