Which GO device is GSM futureproof ? — TomTom Community

Which GO device is GSM futureproof ?

Hi everyone,
I was seriously considering purchasing the Go Premium, but found out that the live traffic updates will stop working in Switzerland end of 2020. The reason for that is that Swisscom, the national mobile carrier, will stop supporting 2G services and the device will not be able to connect and update through its SIM card. As I am travelling around FR, DE & CH very frequently, I need a standalone navigation device that will not need to connect to my phone to receive the traffic updates.
I have two questions, maybe the TomTom support people will be able to respond here.

1. Why doesnt TomTom allow its devices to connect to other mobile providers in the county like Sunrise & Salt to potentially overcome this obstacle? I can personnaly retrofit the SIM card to my device if I get the new SIM card
2. Why doesnt Tom Tom market a 3G or 4G device to make it futureproof to these connectivity issues?

Thanks in advance for any input

Answers

• VikramKVikramK Posts: 10,587 Moderator
    edited May 27
    Hi @axolotl98

After 2020 connectivity in Switzerland will work using tethering with a smartphone.
    axolotl98 wrote: »

1. Why doesnt TomTom allow its devices to connect to other mobile providers in the county like Sunrise & Salt to potentially overcome this obstacle? I can personnaly retrofit the SIM card to my device if I get the new SIM card

We need to enter into legal obligation with companies in the form of contracts before we can use their service to get Traffic information. The SIM cards in the device have a unique id associated with the hardware.
    axolotl98 wrote: »
    2. Why doesn't Tom Tom market a 3G or 4G device to make it futureproof to these connectivity issues?

This has been requested before so I will add your feedback as well.

Thank you, Vikram