Tt 550 not holding charge when on bike — TomTom Community

Tt 550 not holding charge when on bike

Xrt12Xrt12 Posts: 4 [Novice Seeker]
I can see this has been covered before but my prob is a little different
Tt charges ok on computer
So I put a fully charged sat on my bike and head off, all seems good nav setting say tt charging, but after about 3-4 hours tt flat even though indicates still charging
I’ve wired using a relay with switched wire to turn relay on/off ground is direct to battery, I’ve 5.5 volts across the pins
Please help this is doing my head in ha ha
Rich

Best Answer

Answers

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 16,485 Superusers
    edited May 22
    Hi
    Welcome to the site....
    @Have you checked the power pins on the Rider Mount... they should be free in the mount, protrude 1.5mm and be spring loaded

Is the Mount & Rider 5xx stable when the Bike is running/ticking over etc... (i.e Vibrations V-Twin or Single Cylinder engines) this can cause an intermittent power connection.....

Does the bike use the CAN bus Wiring System... You can get weird results tapping into a CAN bus System....

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • Xrt12Xrt12 Posts: 4 [Novice Seeker]
    Hi Yam thanks for getting back to me. I guess you fan of fazers lol. The bike is a Triumph 1200 XRT 2019 model so it probably is canbus. But I’ve only tapped into it to turn relay on and of. If the vibration was causing the problem. Ie enough to interrupt charging the nav would tell me about power loss, no? As for the pins they’re good, spring loaded and protruding
    Rich
  • Longshanks0511Longshanks0511 Posts: 11 [Apprentice Traveler]
    To be clear, you are saying not just that charging is intermittent but that your wired mount is causing the 550 to drain (more than just normal use while disconnected from power)?
    Hi long shanks. I think that is the problem, the mount is causing it to drain. I’m pretty sure that charging is not intermittent
  • Longshanks0511Longshanks0511 Posts: 11 [Apprentice Traveler]
    My Triumph (2008 Tiger) is giving me charging problems but I don't think it is draining the 550. Should get a better idea with a longer run post-lockdown.
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 16,485 Superusers
    edited May 24
    Hi

My Rider550 charges OK and is wired directly to the Battery...
    though a 1 Amp fuse....
    Here... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1703192/#Comment_1703192

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
    Ok folks I’ve found the although it says 5.5 voltage at the pins, there’s not enough current to maintain charge. So thank you Ste7ios for the flow rate tip. And thanks to everyone else for their contributions to my conundrum
    Rich