Recent download for Start 42 failed & left me with a corrupt map tried fixing it without success. — TomTom Community

Recent download for Start 42 failed & left me with a corrupt map tried fixing it without success.

nundynundy Posts: 8 [Apprentice Traveler]
using MyDrive Connect it downloads for several hours with little success & then fails. Help required please

Answers

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 17,728
    Superusers
    edited May 19
    Hi
    @nundy
    Welcome to the site....
    1st see Tomtom Video....

87tagx4cod6b.jpg
    Is your Start 42 a 8GB or 16GB Device
    Check the 1st 2 Characters of you Serial Number....
    @VikramK or @lampard the Forum Moderators can allocate a small 'Keeper Map' to your Account....
    Important if Start 42 is a 8GB Device....
    See Catch22
    ... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1686043/#Comment_1686043

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • nundynundy Posts: 8 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Thanks for the reply. I have Start 42 XT which I understand is an 8GB
    I have watched the video but when I try to follow the instructions upon connecting the device the 'mydrive connect' goes immediately to show the down load screen not giving time to input any instructions. Any idea how to overcome this?
    Superusers
    Hi
    @nundy

Tomorrow @VikramK or @lampard the Forum Moderators should be able to check your Account & Download Status....

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 10,433 Moderator
    Hi @nundy

Firstly I would recommend that you delete the HOME3 folder without connecting the device to MyDrive Connect.
    The folder is stored in a hidden location so can be found using the below path-

Windows
    C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\TomTom\

Mac
    Users\Username\Library\Application Support\TomTom\

Secondly, the logs show that the downloads and the installation process is blocked due to network/antivirus or firewall.

See the explanation under Case 3.1 on this topic- https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1121560/tomtom-no-maps-found#latest

I have also activated a smaller map of UK and ROI, see if you can install that on the internal memory.

Regards, Vikram
    Superusers
    edited May 20
    Hi
    @nundy
    Further to Vikrams post....
    If you are using a Win 10 PC
    (1)... If MyDrive Connect auto 'Starts when your Computer starts' (Default)... Then 'Right Click 'on the MyDrive Connect Icon on the PC Taskbar and Click 'Quit' MyDrive Connect....

9gc4io81mxon.jpg
    (2)... On the PC Press the 'Windows button' + 'R' Key
    This opens the ‘Run Box’....
    (3)... The Run Box opens... Type into the ‘run’ box.... %localappdata%/TomTom
    (4)… Press Enter
    (5)... A new window opens
    (6)... Delete the Home3 folder
    (7)… Close all windows
    (8)... Turn on the SatNav and reconnect it to the PC
    (9)... Open/Run ‘My Drive Connect...
    (10)... Login to MyDrive Connect as if was a fresh install...
    Hopefully all should now be well....

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
    The only thing that as changed I have seen the UK map but cannot activate the download. The Firewall is allowing Mydrive connector. A download did start earlier this morning but stuck on 2% & 82hrs 20mins left for over 30 minutes. Is there anyway to revert to default os factory settings?
    The longer this goes on the more I i think this Device is not fit for purpose. It was sold with free map revisions for live now I find after 12months there is not enough free space for the latest revision. Because of 'lock down' I cannot return it to the place I bought it.
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 6,365
    Superuser
    Hi @nundy

The latest Europe maps are too big for the internal memory. Have you installed a Micro SD Class 10 card, I suggest 16gb or Max 32gb Sandisk, Samsung or similar major make. Some lesser known makes have been known to cause issues and if purchased from some suppliers they have been fake.

Doug
    Superusers
    edited May 20
    Hi
    @nundy
    Important if Start 42 is a 8GB Device....
    See Catch22 Link
    ... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1686043/#Comment_1686043

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
    Thanks DougLap & YamFazMan I have order a Micro SDHC Card & hope it works.
    My problems continue, I have purchased a 32Gb MicroSDHC card installed in the device Which I think needs formatting
    When I open TomTom Mydrive connect it do es not appear to be opening correctly. (I have reinstalled it be to no effect) It shows a white rectangle which contains the following wording 'TomTom mydrive connect , version 4.2.8.4052' . When the device is connected the rectangle flashes & the includes the folllowing 'Restoring your device 100% Do not disconnect your device' It does seem to have detected the sdhc card. Any ideas
    Superuser
    edited May 23
    Hi @nundy

Yes you need to format the New Card in the TT unit before it will accept maps. Also if you have Not formatted it theN My Drive Connect will not see it.

Doug
    Hi DougLap
    Sorry but how do I do that ?
    Superuser
    edited May 23
    Hi @nundy

Can you start the device and if so go to Settings/System and select Format Memory card.

Doug
    Hi Doug
    It will not me select 'use system settings'
    Superuser
    edited May 23
    Hi @nundy

If you cannot start your unit normally then until you are able to do so please take the new memory card Out as you will not need it until the unit does start normally and enables you to get to the menu options. Once you can get to the menu options then you can go to Settings/System to choose Format memory Card.

At this point your aim will be to get the unit working with the UK map loaded on it as once that happens and you can then start the device normally you then add the Extra memory card and load the European map.

It might be an idea to check whether your PC's USB sockets are in Power save setting and if so turn that setting Off. Have a look at this post.

https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1704236/#Comment_1704236

Also at this point check whether you can delete the Folders as mentioned earlier in this topic .

If you are Not getting NO Maps Found displayed then try the following

https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1034277/how-to-recover-your-device/p1?new=1

If your unit is displaying No Maps found then follow the routine in the video detailed earlier in this topic.

Doug
    All sorted thank you.
    I think the problem was caused by my Antivirus. The problem was so bad today that I could not connect to the internet. The Antivirus update this evening and everything appears to be back to normal
    Regards - Nundy
    Superuser
    Hi @nundy

Great to hear. Thanks for the suggestion re the possible cause as it could be useful for others.

Doug