Is there a speed difference between Go 5100, Go 5200 and Go Premium? — TomTom Community

Is there a speed difference between Go 5100, Go 5200 and Go Premium?

My 5100 takes FOREVER to boot up. Using it is an absolute misery as a result. It has the maps on a memory card.

I am wondering if upgrading will make any difference? I really don't need updates via wifi or any of the Premium stuff etc etc, but I need a device that is actually working before I am halfway to my destination.

Is it worth upgrading? I would happily buy a 6-inch if that is any faster.

Answers

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 4,869 Superuser
    Hi @LemonJelly

Yes the newer units you refer to are quicker and have the benefit of 16mb of internal memory before you need to use the extra memory facility. Regrading your current edition how much free memory do you have on the internal memory. If it is less than 400mb then it can/will have a detrimental effect on the processing speed as the device uses some of the free memory for operational purposes.

Doug
  • LemonJellyLemonJelly Posts: 14 [Legendary Explorer]
    So can you confirm that the hardware is different? Faster processor? Or is the only difference that the internal memory is (a really unforgiveably stupidly small) 16 Gb rather than the 8Gb on the 5100?

I cannot believe that the speed difference is purely due to using an external memory card on the 5100. If that is the case, then the newer models will become slow once their internal memory becomes insufficient surely...?
    edited May 17
    Hi @LemonJelly

If your memory card is a Micro SD Class 10 card it should be fine although some of the lesser known makes of card have been known not to even work. The lack of free memory on the internal memory is what can cause the unit to run slow or even if very full stop working properly.

Also try a soft reset on the unit as that tidies the files up and is a useful thing to do after updates. Turn the unit on and when ready hold the On/Off button down for about 20 seconds plus until your hear the drumroll sound then let the button go. The unit will start up again.

I have the GO5200 and the GO Camper Bothe with maps on the internal memory and extra memory. I can have it ready before I leave on my journey. =)=)

With 16gb of internal memory you can get the full Europe map with buildings on the unit plus a few other small ones.

Doug
  • LemonJellyLemonJelly Posts: 14 [Legendary Explorer]
    Thank you. I have free space on the internal card, plenty of it. My Europe map fits on the external card.

Is the actual hardware/processor faster on the newer models? Is it actually worth upgrading in order to get a faster boot up time?

If not then the system is not designed to run on external memory cards, perhaps?
    edited May 17
    Hi @LemonJelly

My GO5200 with Full Europe including Buildings and Venezuela on the internal memory and US, Canada and Mexico and Uk and N Ireland on the extra memory card is ready to Tap Menu in 40 seconds.

If I take my extra memory card out it is the same time.

No idea about the Hardware .

Doug
  • dmulvdmulv Posts: 666 Superuser
    @LemonJelly - yes, the hardware is better. The headlines are more memory (well - flash storage) and a faster processor, although there are probably other hardware improvements too.

In fact the improved hardware and resultant improvements in usability (faster boot-up and route calculation, increased responsiveness of the screen) is probably the main reason I upgraded to a 5200... although updates via wifi is also quite handy.

Unless you need the larger screen, don't bother with the 6" model if your prime concern is speed - other than the screen there's no difference in the hardware.