Wait...there is no media controls at all on the Rider 550?!?! — TomTom Community

Wait...there is no media controls at all on the Rider 550?!?!

Toronto_PaulToronto_Paul Posts: 5 [Apprentice Traveler]
So my Rider 550 just arrived and I'm setting it up and applying updates. I've got it paired to my Pixel 3 phone but I'm going though all the menu's on the device but I can't find any media controls at all.

I'm coming from Garmin Zumo that has always had media controls for bluetooth devices. I could pause/play volume up/down my phone from the GPS screen. Can that not be done on the Rider 550?

Answers

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 17,065
    Superusers
    Hi
    @Toronto_Paul
    (Snip) I'm coming from Garmin Zumo that has always had media controls for bluetooth devices. I could pause/play volume up/down my phone from the GPS screen. Can that not be done on the Rider 550?
    Sorry 'NO'

ATB YFM
  • JoelS.JoelS. Posts: 316 [Exalted Navigator]
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00RM75NL0/
    Satechi Bluetooth Media Button

i use one of these velcro to my clutch or brake cover. it works well for me, since i don't use bluetooth coms, works very well, but not waterproof.
  • Toronto_PaulToronto_Paul Posts: 5 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Thanks Joel. That was a real disappointment. I ended up sending the Rider550 back and am waiting on the ZumoXT that seem to be short of stock these days.
    dang you for mentioning the XT..... lol
    just placed an order yesterday, plus 2nd cradle and wiring harness and case.....

have had a tomtom for 15 years or so, should be interesting switching teams... never had a garmin before... my 40/400 had condensation issues, felt slow, and had to put a sandwich bag on it several days on my last trip.... had 2 options on roads to get back, looked at the sky, thought i picked right, and got drenched.... cars pulled over and everything... oops... the live weather will be nice as well.... 5.5 tft screen will be amazing..

my 40/400 setup, i had the car adapter, both bikes wired with mounts to make it easy... had the gps 4 years, snow so i don't ride in the winter, and have almost 98000 miles on it... definitely got my moneys worth..
  • RoadRiderRoadRider Posts: 478 [Supreme Pioneer]
    Funny, I also own a XT 10x more problems than with the Rider 550. (And some improvements)
    Here a small list off issues with the Zumo XT;
    • Adventures routing still manny issues no small roads.
      Route from track doesn’t follow the exact track sometimes without a reason.
    • Recalculation off a route from a track manny problems on small roads.
    • With standard map themes many roads not visible.
    • Some altered track give problems with BaseCamp.
    • Reboot loops.
    • Bad sounding navigation instructions on headset.
    • Can not disable warning beeps.
    • Manny more map errors than TomTom.
    • New maps are still outdated.
    • Maximum length of trackname in Explore is just 20 characters.
    • Garmin support doesn’t answer questions.
    • And manny more....
  • Toronto_PaulToronto_Paul Posts: 5 [Apprentice Traveler]
    JoelS, I've been with Garmin since the 2160 days (now with a 590) so am kind of used to the quirks. I like to make my own twisty routes through North American back roads (not dirt roads) for my BMW R1200C. I've ridden in some heavy rain with them and they've always held in there. I did have car and bike mounts and the units switched easily between the mounts. Live weather does work pretty well as you'll get an onscreen warning if your route is going to take you into bad weather.

The Garmin Basecamp routing software is bruuuuutal (IMHO). Not intuitive at all and the tools can drive you nuts. I've always found the maps reliable for North America but again I'm on secondary roads, not dirt roads.

The lack of media controls was an unexpected deal breaker on the Rider 550 though. I'm usually listening to a podcast or an audiobook on multi-day rides so I need to be able to pause/play easily.

Since sending the Rider 550 back and waiting on the ZumoXT I've forced myself to sit down and do a deeper dive into Basecamp. It's still a bit of a pain to use but I'm getting better results and throwing my mouse less often.
    With the XT you can use all route planning tools that can export a Track.
    You can still use modern routing tools like TomTom MyDrive web, kurviger, routeyou and my personal favorite MyRoute App (Gold) to create a track. With Explore or Drive put it on the XT.
    But Drive has a issue of draining your phone’s battery.

On small roads recalculation will not work and you will be rerouted to the nearest big road.
    The TomTom Rider likes the small curvy roads.
    And you can use Google now for media controls.
    edited June 3
    well, i have no plans for selling my rider 40/400, and still might keep the harnesses on the bikes, but tuck them away when i add the new harnesses.. i have 30 days with it to return it.
    i have been a myroute lifetime gold member for many years,

the screen is no comparison, every person said AWESOME on the XT condensation reported still in the 550, still unable to have a set of desired roads to ride with a stop in the middle. sure i can do a to and a from.
    spending $300 for the same rider i have had for the last 4 years didn't make sense to me.. thus trying something different..... right , wrong, time will tell. mine still works, and does well with how i use it.
    i am the only person i know and have riden with, that has a tomtom.... whatever that is worth..

also will have to see about dirt. seems every time i change route type on the rider, it changes to include dirt.... nope, still have avoid dirt, want to avoid dirt now and always... this has been an issue for years... click avoid, recalculating again, off we go, first turn , small dirt road, nope, next another small dirt road.... stop, clear route, check settings, rinse repeat.... it says no route possible, what ?? i know 12 different ways around the dirt, and i don't live there..... the 40/400 was a step back from the rider 5, i always felt, but made the best of it.

i'm a simple user, but routing is the most important, i'll see how that goes.
    i still don't use coms, just custom in ear monitors, wired to my phone, that is always in my pocket. often i don't have the tomtom app running on my phone if i don't care about traffic, like riding in the mountains, so i can do that...

thanks you guys for you insight... should be interesting for sure.. i will be playing with it routing the fun areas around the country i ride, i'll see how it does.
    the 50/550 would be the easiest swap, unbox, insert into existing cradles... lol

since this post is way off the rails.... i'll add a bit more.
    the new Zumo Xt arrived and i tried playing with the adventure route. not impressed to say the least, vs the rider one.... i entered a few destinations around here, 50- 100+ miles or so, the garmin picked some very unimpressive roads, even on its best setting. the tomtom, sure i would ride that, knowing all the roads, options, things like that...the garmin is more like the middle bendy setting on the tomtom, on its 4th and best setting....
    that alone may be a deal breaker for me and reason to stick with my 40/400 or try the 550. if the gps is a step back, or several for the fun random roads then that is a ginormous problem for me. i can build some great routes, but when i pick a waypoint in the mountains, and take a great random ride to get there, that is awesome for me...

also the music controls work, but no volume control, so i can't replace my remote control completely...
    psst..... i just purchased a 550, will be here saturday... lol
    so i will have the 3 to play with.... interested to see the 40/400 vs 550 hardware changes,
    @JoelS.
    I know two solutions to fix the routing on te XT.
    1. Buy the OnRoute motorcycle maps (Europe only) and live with te fact that you have to switch maps and reboot the device every time you want to use this coming from fastest route or tracks.
    2. Load a track made with MyDrive or Kurviger on your phone and live with the manny steps involved.

Yes, the routing protocol and recalculation works 10x better on a Rider 550.
  • TriumphRobTriumphRob Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    edited June 7
    Crikey - really in a dilemma now. Have had numerous problems with my 550 - connection from iPhone 7 to Mydrive just won't work, distorted speech on the nav directions to my Sena intercom, loss of voice directions and then last week, the unit started rebooting itself constantly after a map update. Decided enough was enough and was going to demand a refund and switch to Garmin XT and now just seen some of the complaints about that. I can't believe that in today's technical world, the likes of Garmin and TomTom can't make products that work as advertised!
    edited June 12
    @TriumphRob
    i had a great day with my XT yesterday. 1st day i didn't swap in my 400, but i had it with, just in case.
    Decided, im keeping my old 40/400 and the new XT, returning the 550. the XT did awesome!!

i loaded a track, then it converted in trip planner, worked perfect, just like tracks on the tomtom. that was a plus for me, I had the same journey in the gps 3 ways, they all worked great. going off path, and going off path and restarting for testing..

my issues previously was due to my lack of knowledge, i can admit that... drove around the neighborhood with a few desired paths of travel to see how it works, what it likes, and how it does what it does.

i still love my rider, it just always has done what i wanted, and aside from the condensation, has been a great unit for me.