Drive To - POI - Near Me — TomTom Community

Drive To - POI - Near Me

Longshanks0511Longshanks0511 Posts: 11 [Apprentice Traveler]
I have stumbled across a strange feature on my 550. When I select Drive T0 - POI - Near Me the list of categories includes a number of Hotel brands belonging to foreign countries - Bikerbetten (Germany) and MoHo (Austria) - even though I'm in UK and the GPS has correctly identified my location.

Are these sponsor companies who've agreed some kind of deal with TomTom?
Can these "suggestions" be turned off, if so how?

Best Answer

Answers

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 17,064
    Superusers
    Hi
    @Longshanks0511
    Are you using the Quick Search (Default & the best) Search engine ???
    Or the Step by Step Search engine ???
    Check... Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Setting --> System --> Choose a Search Mode ???

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • Longshanks0511Longshanks0511 Posts: 11 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Thanks @YamFazMan. My search was set to Step by Step so I changed it to Quick Search. This seems to have had the effect of removing "Drive To" from the initial menu screen; now it seems that "Search" is the only way in to set a new destination with no option to select "Near Me", "City" or "POI" up front. Is that what you would expect?
    Superusers
    edited May 15
    Hi
    @Longshanks0511

Click on the 'Whole Map Icon' Screen top right...

oipyljy368af.jpg

zjbgo1xksk1j.jpg

When using the Step by Step Search engine... There is also long standing problem for Postcode searches....
    The Postcode code search bug when using Step by Step is a real pain
    Any search for a Postcode... You have to enter a road/street name to execute a search ??? Why....
    If you know the road/street name and a house number you don't need the Postcode
    Most people use a Postcode because they don't know the road/street name and house number
    Isolated farms, Single building, Office blocks, Retail parks, Hospitals, New builds etc...
    For me it renders the latest the Step by Step Search engine useless for postcodes in the UK

ATB YFM
    Thanks again @YamFazMan - very comprehensive and helpful guidance.

I completely agree your assessment of the step-by-step search - for a while I thought it was just me struggling to make sense of the results I was getting!
    Superusers
    Hi

When using 'MyPlaces' menu you don't have to search down the long list of MyPlaces

Searching MyPlaces....

The MyPlaces appear on the right-hand side of the Search screen

Say in MyPlaces you have...
    Costa Worcester
    Costa Bromsgrove
    Costa Droitwitch
    Costa Bridgnorth

Tap 4Dot (.... menu) Icon --> Tap Search
    If you Type say 'C' a list of MyPlaces starting with the letter 'C' will appear on the right-hand side of the Search screen
    Either continue to type 'Costa b' and the Costa Bromsgrove and Costa Bridgnorth outlets will display at the top of the list
    Tap the blue keyboard Icon screen bottom right to clear the keyboard and display the list
    Or
    Tap 4Dot (.... menu) Icon --> Tap Search
    Then type say 'C' and a list of MyPlaces starting with the letter 'C' will appear on the right-hand side of the Search screen continue to type 'Costa
    Tap the blue keyboard Icon screen bottom right to clear the keyboard and a full list of costa outlets will display
    After completing your search, to navigate to a 'MyPlace'... Tap the required MyPlace --> Tap the 'Drive' Icon or Tap on the 3Dot Icon, a quick menu will open with more options

PS... Tap 4Dot (.... menu) Icon --> Tap Search type say 'T' on the right-hand side of the Search screen will be all of your MyPlaces beginning with 'T'
    But on the left-hand side of the Search screen will be a list of your recent destinations beginning with 'T'
    Don't forget to Tap the blue keyboard Icon screen bottom right to clear the keyboard and display the list
    PPS... There is also a dual Icon with 3 Lines & 2 Circles...

bf5c60ee-cdb2-4ca7-bcae-a1f0f9623372.jpg
    Tap the the 3 Lines or 2 Circles to toggle between List & Map view
    Tap the Keyboard Icon to return to the Keyboard & Search menu

ATB YFM
    YamFazMan wrote: »
    Hi
    @Longshanks0511

Maybe Usefull... Using the MyDrive Web Route planner....

This is a bit of a diversion from the original subject but the one time I used the My Drive planner and uploaded the route from iPhone to 550 I found the TomTom decided it knew better and took me a different way! Is that because I had originally selected Fastest Route and conditions changed or is the device always inclined to over-rule when it sees fit?