Basic GO constantly rebooting - no help from the support — TomTom Community

Basic GO constantly rebooting - no help from the support

Hi,
I am having some trobles with my Basic GO device. When I am using it during the journey it keeps rebooting quite often. It reboots 5 times in a row and then again after 10 minutes. I contacted the support but they said that it is they are aware of the problem and that I should wait. I bought this device because I need it in my job everyday and now I need "to wait". It takes a week to get any answer from the support :-( I have sent the device to the repair centre twice: once I got back the device that was ok for a month, second time it started rebooting just after I took it out of the box and set it up in my car. Of course I restored factory settings but it did not help.

So, maybe you have some solutions how to handle this situation?

Answers

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 6,888
    Superuser
    HI @konrad123

Are you using the USB cable and charger unit supplied with the unit or are you plugging into a USB socket in the vehicle. If the latter then the GO Basic will not be getting enough charge to run and charge the battery at the same time.

Doug
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 18,406
    Superusers
    Hi
    @konrad123
    The Previous NAV4 and Latest (NAV5 WiFi) devices are quite power hungry and can go into "Power saving mode" if not supplied with enough power
    Are you using the Tomtom supplied cable and Tomtom supplied Power Adapter
    The Charger Adaptor and USB Cable supplied by Tomtom WILL run and charge the device at the same time
    See... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1704237/#Comment_1704237

I find the NAV5 (Wi-Fi ) devices are more stable in general use if you Turn off the Wi-Fi and only connect the Wi-Fi when any updates are required

To forget the Wi-fi on the device....
    You can't actually turn-off the Wi-Fi but you can forget it, the device will still be monitoring for a Wi-Fi service but not Connecting & Syncing....
    Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Setting --> Wi-Fi... Tap on your Wi-Fi's Name (Screen top left)
    Tap Modify --> Forget
    Follow on-screen instructions to finish

ATB YFM
  • konrad123konrad123 Posts: 2 [Apprentice Seeker]
    edited May 2020
    @YamFazMan and @DougLap thank you for answers.

To answer your questions: I am using the cable and charger that was in the box with the device. I tried using the set from my old TomTom device and switching the cars. It did not help

The problems occur when I am on my way, where is no Wi-Fi connection.

My android phone is connected with the device via bluetooth to get real time traffic info and to be able to send the destination addresses to the device.

I have read somewhere that I should cancel the bluetooth connection between the device and phone and log out from mydevice account on the device. I did not try that as it would cripple the capabilities of the device and make it comparable with the devices I bought 10 years ago...

The worst part is that I cannot get any help from the support, they answer to my messages only every few days... Last week they have send me the UPS label to ship the device to its repair centre in Romania. They got the device last week (based on the data from UPS tracking) but on TomTom support's website I still see "Repair centreWarehouse waiting for parcel" status :-(
  • bigbig Posts: 1,628
    Superuser
    I find doing a soft reset usually helps. Hold down the power button for 15 seconds or so until it restarts and you hear a drum roll.

I know it makes no sense since you'd think when the thing restarts on it's own that should be the same as a reset, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 18,406
    Superusers
    edited May 2020
    Hi
    @konrad123
    konrad123 wrote: »
    The problems occur when I am on my way, where is no Wi-Fi connection
    Yes I realise that, Its the same here... But I feel my NAV5 (Wi-fi) devices are more stable & responsive if I Forget/Turn off the Wi-Fi and only connect the Wi-Fi when updates are required, after all you only have to enter you Wi-fi Password to update the device....

Stay Safe... ATB YFM