550 gpx route upload ? and is route sharing possible with 420 — TomTom Community

550 gpx route upload ? and is route sharing possible with 420

dr268dr268 Posts: 13 [Master Explorer]
I know this has been asked in many different ways but we are simply baffled and a little disapointed with the 550

3 of us, 2 x 420, 1 x 550

routes are gpx created via Myroutes

420 is no issue, email gpx and send to nav from phone or share between the 2 navs when we meet up. No need for plugging in anymore, great simple what more can I say.

different story, we can only get the gpx file on via usb lead and a pc, so useless when away for a few days, its supposed to be the newer wifi enabled sat nav but its beat us,

could some one answer in lay mans terms

1. How to transfer a gpx file from a phone to the 550 (bluetooth or wireless not by usb) ?
2. how to share a route on a 420 direct to a 550 ?

thanks very much

Answers

• RoadRiderRoadRider Posts: 473 [Supreme Pioneer]
    You can transfer a .GPX file to MyDrive that wil sync it to the Rider 550 useing the MyRoute App app on your Phone.
    To do this use the "Save As" -> 'TomTom MyDrive (beta)' function.
    https://support.myrouteapp.com/support/solutions/articles/12000017445-manual-saving-your-routes-to-tomtom-mydrive

Sharing from a Rider 4x0 is more difficult becouse most phones do not work with BT sharing form the Rider 4x0 to the phone. From phone to Rider 4x0 works fine.

When I find more time I will release a Load Track version for Android. This wil make syncing tracks from a Android phone just as easy as form a PC.

A Send ITN Route version for Android is almost finished. (max 20 stops due to MyDrive limits)
    hj82cwe5nxxc.jpg

• dr268dr268 Posts: 13 [Master Explorer]
    thanks for the answer

slight issue is that I create the routes but also own a 420 so I have no issues and I dont need it on my mydrive. I doubt he wants me logging into his account.

I need to work out how to share with the 550 owner/his sat nav
  • RoadRiderRoadRider Posts: 473 [Supreme Pioneer]
    If you create the route the best way is to create the route in MyDrive Web. (or import the .GPX file in MyDrive Web on your PC)

Then use "Sync this route as a track with my devices" to transfer the Track to your own Rider.
    And use Share Route to share the route with the order riders. (this also works with the MyDrive App and with adventures routes)
    The other riders can open the link you shared on there phone. The MyDrive App will open and the can send the route as track to there own device.
    RoadRider wrote: »
    If you create the route the best way is to create the route in MyDrive Web. (or import the .GPX file in MyDrive Web on your PC)

Then use "Sync this route as a track with my devices" to transfer the Track to your own Rider.
    And use Share Route to share the route with the order riders. (this also works with the MyDrive App and with adventures routes)
    The other riders can open the link you shared on there phone. The MyDrive App will open and the can send the route as track to there own device.

the share route on the sat nav picks up other 420 ok but not the 550

thanks for the replies, seems that tomtom have decided to take away a very simple process and make it as awkward as they could. on the 420 it takes seconds to load Gpx files from any phone and the same to share to anyone close by.

Probably why I was asking as I assumed I was missing something obvious but apparently not.

many thanks

• Rob_RRob_R Posts: 53 [Supreme Trailblazer]
    If I was away from home and had a .gpx file on my phone i.e. maybe someone emailed it to me I could then do the following to get it on my Rider 550, using nothing but the phone and the GPS, to get it on the GPS:

1. open a browser on the phone and navigate to the web version of TomTom MyDrive and log in
    2. Select "My Routes" and then import a GPX File
    3. Locate the file on my phone and upload the File
    4. In "My Routes" scroll down to find the newly imported route/track and select it.
    5. You now have two options:
    a) switch on "sync this route as a track" to get a track sent to your device
    b) select "edit route" and then "Send Destination" (or "Send Stops" if the route has mutiple waypoints) to sync a route.

It would be much easier if the MyDrive app on the phone let you import a GPX file but it doesn't appear to allow it, so just use the web version.

Obviously you still need internet connectivity on your phone as a minimum, both to upload the file and then to download to the GPS, which also needs internet connectivity either directly via it's WiFi or using the Phone's internet access via the MyDrive App.

It's a bit of a "faf" but it's relatively simple and works. Another more fiddly way would be to use an appropriately formatted SD card, assuming your phone has an SD card slot. No internet access required (I carry one just in case).

Some things to note:

1. Some planning tools generate gpx files that have both a route and a track in them. If you export a route from MyDrive it does and also the same appears to be true for the MyRoutes app that a lot of people use. If the file has both then when you do an import into MyDrive, it appears to create both a Route and a Track. What you actually see are two "routes" with the same (or similar - the MyRoute App actually names the route and Track separately) name but one says "Fastest" (or "Thrill") under it (route) and the other says "Imported" under it (Track).
    2. If you are sharing "routes" then IMHO you are better off using a track if you want your GPS's to show the same physical path to follow. Routes are just a collection of waypoints so when you load one of those it's down to your device to devise a "path" between each point and different devices will do it differently. Even the same model will do it differently if routing settings are different or you have different maps or one has traffic and one doesn't, etc. Tracks are a trail of breadcrumbs so you end up with the same path.
    3. If you do use a track then you won't automatically re-route around road closures, etc (assuming you have a traffic prescription). You will see the problems on the map but your track will take you there anyway. If you have to deviate, then from my experience a track will try to route you back to the track where as a route will try to route you to the next waypoint where ever that is, in fact it will insist on taking you there (which can be a problem if it was actually on the road that was closed and therefore no longer accessible) unless you manually skip it.

Finally, as RoadRider said above, if you and your friend with the 550 are both using MyDrive then just share the route with him through MyDrive - he will get a link which takes him to the web version of MyDrive with your route already loaded. He can then just login (to his own account - you dont need to know his credentials), save the route and then sync as above. This saves you having to generate a file, send it to him and then getting him to upload it, etc.

I hope some of this helps.
    Thanks for the reply, that answers nearly everything which is great.

This works perfect from my samsung phone but doesn't on an iPhone, I was very sceptical so tried on my iPad, he is correct.

When you go to import gpx file an error message appears saying "this feature is not available on your tablet, use a computer instead"

Typical
  • Bart0Bart0 Posts: 45 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    Ehh. so:
    1. How to transfer a gpx file from a phone to the 550 (bluetooth or wireless not by usb) ?

Do you want to use Mydrive or do you want transfer directly via Bluetooth? I can explane the Mydrive way. I guess the Bluetooth way is possible too, but I need a working TomTom for that, and the one I have is beeing picked up for repaires..
    Mydrive (browser). The Mydrive app does not support import GPX.

1. log in
    2. browse to my routes
    3. the drop-down menu shows "import GPX"

Browse from there to the gpx on your phone. Done.

Is that what you meant?
    And what the other users said is true.

Once the gpx is imported, you can find it too under "my routes" in Mydrive (web/ and app). Tab your new (gpx)route, wait 2 seconds, and way below you find "share route". Tab that, and make your choise how to share.
    dr268 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply, that answers nearly everything which is great.

This works perfect from my samsung phone but doesn't on an iPhone, I was very sceptical so tried on my iPad, he is correct.

When you go to import gpx file an error message appears saying "this feature is not available on your tablet, use a computer instead"

Typical

Yes iPhones are a law unto themselves and are very prescriptive so I'm not surprised. I have an Android so didn't try it via the iPhone route. Easiest way is to plan the route on MyDrive and share it with your mate as this avoids the whole import bit.

It's a shame you cant just wack a file over using the Bluetooth like you could do previously but as I'm new to the Rider and have only used the 550 I guess I don't miss what I never had!
    Bart0 wrote: »
    Ehh. so:

Do you want to use Mydrive or do you want transfer directly via Bluetooth? I can explane the Mydrive way. I guess the Bluetooth way is possible too, but I need a working TomTom for that, and the one I have is beeing picked up for repaires..

As I understand it the earlier models (or at least some of them) allowed you to directly transfer a gpx file from your phone to the device via Bluetooth but the 550, which is "WiFi Conneted" does not support this hence the OPs question.

1. log in
    2. browse to my routes

Is that what you meant?

Exactly
    The Bluetooth way is no option anymore with TomTom Ride5 500/550, so I've read.

Is it helpful for you to know that once you've found and downloaded a gpx file from somewhere on the internet, you can save it on your Iphone. From there you can share it from your Iphone to other phones via Bluetooth, whatsapp, email, whatever possibility your phone gives you.

But you are right, after sharing the file with your friends, they have to save it first to their phones' memory (HDD or SD-card) and then import it from that place into MyDrive.

But the import into MyDrive is not very difficult to do.
    Tip for that: create a shortcut from the webversion of MyDrive onto your starting screen on your Iphone. That solves a lot of tabbing on your browser.

1. log in
    2. browse to my routes

Is that what you meant?

yes this works perfect on a pc or any android device (phone, tablet etc)

but try it on an apple device be it an iphone or an ipad.

error message "this feature is not available on your tablet, use a computer instead"

so unless when we are away you bring a pc or as we have now resorted to, logging into his mydrive on our android phones and importing the gpx file for him.

dont really understand why Tomtom have ditched the simple bluetooth method of importing or sharing of gpx as on the 420.

yes the 550 is wifi and you plan ahead from home at the pc it all works lovely via mydrive but in practical terms its not. So if they had also kept the bluetooth share funtionality it would have been a step forward.

Also
    1. why does the app not support gpx upload, instead you have to use the wed based version for this option to be available. Did they just forget to include it ?
    2. as I have noted, did Tomtom forget to include Iphones/apple, I could understand Windows mobile but Apple is a bit popular.

All of these questions and I own a 420 and use Android phones. Its all for a mate who decided a 550 was better and unfortunetly has Apple devices. He is certainly doesnt think its better now.