Why is TomTom so incredibly stupid? — TomTom Community

Why is TomTom so incredibly stupid?

Joe_NiceJoe_Nice Posts: 7 [Apprentice Seeker]
When I search for an establishment (a restaurant for example) the stupid Rider 500 SHOWS THE HOME ADRESS TO THE RESTAURANTS OWNER! It's like the device is connected to a business catalog for credit checks instead of a consumer catalog.
I'm so mad how bad this product is at finding stuff. Gas stations (forget it - seems to rely on five year old facts) .

Answers

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 17,059
    Superusers
    Hi
    @Joe_Nice
    Welcome to the site....
    Were you using the pre installed POI categories on the Rider 5xx

Tomtom Rider 5xx User Guide... Page 86 of the PDF file
    See... http://download.tomtom.com/open/manuals/Rider_Wi-Fi/index.htm

Try searching for the Built-in POI category 'Petrol station' or 'Restaurant'

(1)... Type "Rest" (Or as much of the word Restaurant that’s required for the category to appear at the top of the right-hand column)
    Tap the offered "Restaurant" (top of the right-hand column)
    Continue as in example (3)

(2)... Type "Petrol" (Or as much of the word Petrol Station that’s required for the category to appear at the top of the right-hand column)
    Tap the offered "Petrol Station" (top of the right-hand column)
    Continue as in example (3)

(3)... To show the POIs for Birmingham UK Railway stations on the map, work your way down to Option (2)

From the main screen
    Tap the 4Dot (.... Menu) (Screen Bottom left)
    Tap the Search Icon
    Type Rail (Or as much of the word that’s required for the category to appear at the top of the right-hand column)
    Tap the offered "Railway station" (top of the right-hand column)
    Note..... The initial offering (Right-hand column) will be local to your search
    The Main search area turns blue and "Railway station" is offered with a flashing cursor
    Continue typing the town/city of the required Station, Type Birm (Or as much of the word that's required for the category to appear at the top of the right-hand column

After tapping the Keyboard Icon (Screen bottom right)
    There is a now dual Icon (screen bottom right) with Three Lines and Two circles
    (1)..... Tap the three Lines Icon (bottom right screen) and a list will appear of the Birmingham Railway Stations in distance order
    (2)...... Tap the Two circle Icon for the Birmingham Railway Station POI's to appear on the screen (Pinch zoom for detail)
    There is also a Keyboard Icon (screen bottom right) to return to the search window from the options (1) and (2)

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • Joe_NiceJoe_Nice Posts: 7 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Thank you for the elaborate answer but the problem is just as much with the unit as well as when planning on mytrip. I see practically No pois and the ones I see are usually misleading. If I search for "pizzeria" the adress that comes up is the owners family adress, not the establishment in front of my eyes.
    Superusers
    edited May 15
    Hi
    @Joe_Nice
    SE... Sweden ???
    I'm in the UK....
    I Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Search... Enter 'Stockholm'
    Accept the offered 'Stockholm Centre' Top of the right column.... Note..... The initial offering 'Stockholm Centre' (Right-hand column) will be local to your search
    From the main screen
    Tap the 4Dot (.... Menu) (Screen Bottom left)
    Tap the Search Icon
    Type Rest (Or as much of the word 'Restaurant' that’s required for the category to appear at the top of the right-hand column)
    Tap the offered 'Restaurant' (top of the right-hand column)
    The Main search area turns blue and 'Restaurant' is offered with a flashing cursor
    Continue typing, Type Pizzeria (Or as much of the word that's required for the category 'Pizzeria' list to appear in the right-hand column

After tapping the Keyboard Icon (Screen bottom right)
    There is a now dual Icon (screen bottom right) with Three Lines and Two circles

otdy89mtm025.jpg

(1)..... Tap the three Lines Icon (bottom right screen) and a list will appear of the Stockholm Pizzeria Restaurants POI's in distance order as far as I'm aware it will show the nearest 60ish POI's around your location
    (2)...... Tap the Two circle Icon for the Stockholm Pizzeria Restaurants POI's to appear on the screen (Pinch zoom for detail)
    There is also a Keyboard Icon (screen bottom right) to return to the search window from the options (1) and (2)

pa5n7w6dwj8h.jpg

3xqxb0rhvlwb.jpg

You can also search for a Town (Area)...
    Edit... Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Search... Screen top right...

Tap Whole Map
    o0se6o5bh2n1.jpg
    Select....
    843m281xlw2f.jpg
    Below is a Search around the UK Town of Ludlow for the Archie's Camping & Caravan POIs... The Icons are dynamic. the closer you zoom more icons appear
    Tap on an Icon for more information....

h9od09kbq9rb.jpg
    Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 5,532
    Superuser
    Hi @Joe_Nice

Regarding the pizzeria. What map version have you got on your unit as a recent version had some incorrect address data for many places but was sorted in the last update.

Is a pizzeria being shown as being at the correct position but the address data is wrong

Is this one particular pizzeria or are you suggesting there are numerous with this error..

If it is just the address data of the one site then why not use the Tomtom Mapshare Reporter facility to correct it and help improve the information. .

With the huge number of POI's included on the Tomtom units it would be amazing if there were not some with the wrong data. Also bear in mind that if it is the one the Owner may have submitted details of the Pizzeria for inclusion and given the incorrect data.

Doug
    The unit is up to date but the main problem seems to be that the data is outdated whilst Google Maps is updated. Still I see businesses mapped correctly on Google Maps, but in TT they direct me to the owners home. As for the map utility I have reported issues but är ni change.
    Superusers
    edited May 14
    Hi
    @Joe_Nice
    Would it be possible to give examples of the particular locations that are problematic....

ATB YFM
    Superuser
    edited May 15
    Hi @Joe_Nice

Examples would be very helpful. Regarding Google they also get places wrong. A supermarket a mile away from where it is and yamfazman has a farmshop he visits which Google maps places in the middle of a lake. A newly built bungalow near us is marked on Google as a Nursing home which is odd as the actual building is a 3 story large buiding some 250 yards away. Maybe the owner of the home lives in the bungalow. =)

Doug
    I learned a few things from the suggestions you guys had, so a sincere thank you for that but, on to some examples.

In picture one list item 1 and 3 are names of pizzeria owners home adresses, but no restaurants are there. Only number 2 is a real establishment of the visible.

eotaa8gauee3.jpg

In picture two the gas station was closed five years ago. There is no gas there now.

g3gn7gctsvno.jpg

In picture three I see an actual gas station (wee!) BUT since it is labeled as a SHOP establishment it does not appear as a gas station.

ssy7llkcaxr3.jpg

This is just some quick examples. I can never trust my TomTom to be accurate regarding places. It works fine for adresses in general but not perfect. For example it finds number 3 on a street, but will not find 3A or 3B for instance. No biggie but not very exact either. Google maps and Waze and others have not displayed these issues as far as I have noticed.
  • Ste7iosSte7ios Posts: 747
    Superuser
    Always verify your POIs. Nobody else will do it for you... Not TT, Google, Apple, etc...
    Sure, but it kind of makes me wonder what I payed for.
  • Ste7iosSte7ios Posts: 747
    Superuser
    edited May 17
    Nobody can warrant that a navigation system is 100% reliable and its content as well...

https://www.tomtom.com/en_gr/legal/terms-and-conditions/#8LimitedwarrantywithrespecttoServicesAppsUserContributedDataandThirdPartyMaterials

You’ll find similar declarations on every other manufacturer...

Navigation systems are a very useful tools that we may advice them, not trust them blindly...

A good example, I think... 3 - 4 years before I had planned a trip in the mountains of central Greece. Like you I didn’t contact with a gas station that was crucial to continue our trip. I had checked it in other POI lists, in Google Street View, even the list of the oil company... Virtually the gas station was there... But when we arrived there it was an empty site with some ruins. It looks that the crisis killed the business a few years ago and nobody cared to update the lists...

Always pre-plan your trips and check every detail, mile by mile.

All that doesn’t mean that the technology isn’t useful and not worth it...

You may blame them for other quirks! :D
    Again, I get it, but the unit wants to update the speed cameras several times/ month, why can't POIs be updated more frequently and be more accurate?
    I trust it when it comes to showing adresses, but definately not POI's and cannot recommend spending 300-400€ on this brand of units.
    Superuser
    Hi @Joe_Nice

Correcting data on devices is why Tomtom offer the Tomtom Mapshare Reporter facility so that you can correct what you consider as errors in the data .

https://www.tomtom.com/mapshare/tools/new/mapshare

Doug
    Yeah in map reporter some of my issues look solved since long so when does it transfer to my unit? Every leap year? No wait 2020 was a leap year.