Constant reboot — TomTom Community

Constant reboot

This horrible device. Total crap. I really don't know why I ever bouyght it. Regret every time I use the device, cause every time there is a new episode of hard/ softeware failure. Today a new failure on this TomTom 550.

Before I started my motor to drive a nice route, I updated my TomTom device. Just one daily update: speeding camera's. About 8,5 mb. The regular. My system is up to date.

But while driving (I was still in 1st gear, my systemscreen got dark and then the device started up again. When completely started up, the sytemscreen got dark again and the system started up again. and so on.

My god what a drama device, drama app and drama website. There are so many work-arounds and exceptions, there is no regular manual just to use it what its made for.

Question now: how to stop the device from rebooting and rebooting? I cannot get into the system to reset it to factorysettings or something like that. There is no reset button on the outside of the device.

Answers

• Bart0Bart0 Posts: 45 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    Found out how to. But even then the system fails:
    While starting up keep the on/off button pushed in. Then the system bios is seen. That is no problem.

But then , while bios- screen is seen, push the on/off button 3 times.That is not possible because this button is to heavy to use so fast.

Once again, today is not a good day for a relaxed drive.

I will bring my TomTom system to a TomTom repair centre. Getting there i will use GoogleMaps, cause that works every time, all the time.
  • LochfrassLochfrass Posts: 11,571 Superuser
    Have you inserted a SD card in your device?
    @ Lochfrass.

Nope.
    After trying too many times, its getting easyer to restart.
    1. on/ off buttun pushed untill bios-screen
    2. insert usb to laptop

but then a black screen on my TomTom device. On that screen a picture with a computer and a TomTom device. In the middle a red X. After half an hour (and rried even longer) no result. In the end the TomTom device keeps on looping/ restarting.
    edited May 9
    Then you have probably performed the recovery mode correctly.
    I once inserted a video in the German forum area as it looks like on WIFI devices.
    https://discussions.tomtom.com/de/discussion/comment/1703913/#Comment_1703913

In the video link you can also see the cross in the cable and how the %number rises in MyDrive Connect.
    Link to the Video

I think you must contact the support for repair or send it back.

Support:
    Nederland (Holland)
    020 850 1022
    Maandag t/m vrijdag : 09:00 tot 17:30
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 16,754 [Elite Vanguard]
    Hi
    @Bart0
    What is the point of starting 3 different Threads all on the same subject ???

ATB YFM
    @ Lochfrass

Thank you for your help and advice. But it seems to be a drama, the TomTom devices and software. My TomTom seemed to be ok (I will not mention the software issues here). After a regular daily update, the system fails. And with my device, many other devices as well, according this forum.

Thank you, I will call TomTom this monday. +1 for you
    @ YamFazMan

I did not mean to do that, and I think its 2.
    First post is a problem TomTom gives me when I want to edit a route I just created. Thats weird because the software does not edit my route , but creates a new route within my route.

The other thread is created today. Another problem. TomTom devices loops after a daily update. The system cannot be set back to factorysettings. In that thread I refer to to same problem some-else has. Possible there is a bug in the software TomTom spreads in the daily updates. If that is so, every user needs to send back his/ her TomTom device. To prevend that situation, TomTom needs to evaluate the updatesoftware they are spreading daily.

All these bugs are very frustrating. But that's way too clear, reading these posts. I know.

If there is a third thread, it's my bad.
    Due to current situation (Corona I guess) 020 850 1022 is not answering any calls at the moment and refers to the website.

The video link @Lochfrass sent is helping out a great deal. My TomTom is about doing that. First it connects to my laptop, it downloads software. Then there is a black screen slowly resetting itself. Then on the video the TomTom restarts, but my TomTom does not. It starts allright, but keeps rebooting all the time.

I have to wait a couple of day before TomTom contacts me with a RMA number or a other solution. We will wait and see.
    Hurray TomTom,

TomTom has sent me a RMA quickly. After being repaired (might be reset by TomTom) now my TomTom is on it's way back home. I just received an email. In that email TomTom wrote that the following type is on it's way: Rider 2018 Stelvio 16 GB BYOC.

Is that the same model/ type as a TomTom Rider 500/550?
    It should be the same. Serialnumber beginning with KG.
    16Gb iternal Menory. Boyc= Bring Your Own Connection
    Means Traffic via Bluetooth
    Hey Lochfrass,

yes s/n starts, according to the email, with KG.

Thanks. for your post
    Yes,
    Today I received the TomTom. A new one, same model (Stelvio 16GB BYOC). Old one could not be repaired. Tonight I will install this model.
    Well this is a complete new device. (new s/n). Thank you TomTom. I thought my old one was ok (hardware) untill I had to sent it to TomTom when the software update failed. But aperently the device did not work correctly at all. The new model is much faster in downloading updates, starting up, connecting with other devices (bike and phone). And the on/off button works much easier. This looks like a whole new (different) device.
    Hi
    @Bart0
    Glad you're sorted :)

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
    @ YamFazMan Thx. But no thx. The new device (new s/n) has excactly the same problem. I'll bet this is a software problem that comes with a software bug on (one of the) TomTom servers that provides TomTom satnavs with software updates. The daily update the be precise.

Yesterday I got my new TomTom, out of the box.I installed it on the regular way. All routes and settings from the MyDrive.Tomtom.com worked fine. Even the big first update (8.xx Gb) was fast and without any problem. I tried some settings. All good. I shut it down and put it away for the night. All good.

Today I wanted to try the new TomTom out. So I pushed the on-button. All good. I downloaded the daily update (8.xx MB) and picked my route on the TomTom. All still good. I jumped on my bike and went for a drive. I drove 100 meters and the new TomTom got a black screen and restarted. Over and over again. Excactly the same problem like my old TomTom I sent away for repairs.

Back home I gave the TomTom a restart (starting with on/off button pushed in for 3 seconds/ white letters/ do not disconnect logo/ rebooting with MyDriveConnect. All went well. But still.. without touching the TomTom, it falls out, restarts, over and over again.

Again I will sent the TomTom back. This is very strange. Didn't use it for more than a 5 minute drive.
    edited May 20
    Hi
    @Bart0
    Ah well c'est la vie....
    Have you checked the power pins on the Rider Mount... they should be free in the mount, protrude 1.5mm and be spring loaded

Is the Mount & Rider 5xx stable when the Bike is running/ticking over (i.e Vibrations V-Twin or Single Cylinder engines) this can cause an intermittent power connection

Have you tried turning ON the Screen Orientation Lock
    Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Setting --> Appearance --> Display... Orientation Lock

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
    @YamFazMan. Thx for your advice. I'll check it out. Don't take up my complaining personally. :-)

The TomTom I use is clicked in the mount. Clicked in like it should. Never had any problems with that. The mount and the device was connected to my bike by the dealer, so I'll guess thats pretty good. I see no bent parts or damaged parts on the mount.

Orientationlock? Hmm I have a Dutch version so I guess what you meant has another name in Dutch. I look into that aswell. Thx. If you mean change settings and block horizontal/ vertical screen projection, thats the first thing I changed, because the screen needs a second of 2 to adapt. When driving curvy roades, the screen must be locked indeed.

Anyway, when I was at home, after I reset the TomTom, it still "loops" / restarts all the time. And thats weird because it did'nt do that before I downloaded the daily update.