Why will new TomTom not download map — TomTom Community

Why will new TomTom not download map

Bearman66Bearman66 Posts: 3 [Apprentice Seeker]
I received my new TomTom and have been trying to load the map for over 24 hours, the most I have gotten to is 37% the wi fi kept dropping and stalling so i went to direct wired connection to internet through my PC. it is taking FOREVER. to do any downloads, Why is it always take days and days to update down load files tot he TomTom. i would like to use this new item but it is locked on my desk waiting for downloads. any help would be appreciated

Answers

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 20,088
    Superusers
    edited May 2020
    Hi
    @Bearman66
    Welcome to the site....
    How fast/slow/reliable/unreliable or unstable is your Internet connection ???

The The Map updates can be huge the USA & Canada is 6.82GB the Europe map is 9.37GB
    Recently I updated the Full Europe map v1047 size 9GB+
    I'm using a Win10 PC hard-wired to the Router....
    Virgin Media Broadband 110 Mb/s
    Obviously for me, updating the GO 6200 over USB with MyDrive connect running in the background is the Faster option than using Wi-Fi....
    NAV5 (Wi-Fi) Devices update on the fly i.e... No Download/Upload/Install

9GB+ Map update in 23Mins 24secs (Stopwatch)

I realise this is 20/20 hindsight....
    I suspect you have initiated the 'Update all' sequence....
    If you choose to install the updates en mass and then if there's a problem/glitch in one of the updates, instead of waiting for only one update to time-out on the server, you will have to wait for a long queue of updates to time-out on the server....
    Tomtom Staff can't cancel the download queue once started, you have to leave the device connected and wait for each download in the queue to time-out....

I always update my devices one Update at a time...
    The NavCore Application and QuickFixGPS updates are mandatory and force ticked by Tomtom... Deselect any other updates like Maps, Speed Cams etc... Update the mandatory item/s first, when complete update the remaining items ONE at a TIME.
    The full Europe on its own is now over 9+GB

Download Interrupted/Random Disconnects....
    See... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1690565/#Comment_1690565

Stay Safe... ATB YFM