Routing using GO Camper still not satisfactory — TomTom Community

Routing using GO Camper still not satisfactory

Today, I tried planning a route on my GO Camper from Tesco in Coldfield Drive, Redditch to my home in Worcester, just to see whether it would choose the best route, but it didn't. Instead of taking the logical route through Bromsgrove, or even what I call the back route through Inkberrow, it decided that the best way was to head north towards Alvechurch and then pick up the M42, a diversion of around 6 miles over the Bromsgrove route. I've just checked on MyDrive and that does plan the best route (see image below), so why can't our devices be depended on to do the same? Clearly, the problems with route planning have still not been addressed.
hqmq0qjcj2gc.png

Comments

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 19,215
    Superusers
    edited May 2020
    Hi
    @BrianE

Seems to follow your preferred route on the GO Premium ???

piz9gmepclrx.jpg
    Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • BrianEBrianE Posts: 545 [Exalted Navigator]
    So if it can do it on one device, why not on others?
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 19,215
    Superusers
    Hi
    @BrianE

We’re you using a Car Profile. or one of the Camper Profiles ???

ATB YFM
    I had my sat nav set to Camper, Heavy and when I tried the route in MyDrive, it was set to Truck.
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 7,702
    Superuser
    edited May 2020
    Hi @BrianE

Just input the start and destination data in an up to date major competitors unite set for a 3500 kg MH (Light) and it recommends the same longer route Via M42 Route you are showing.

Just tried on my Go Camper with Heavy Camper setting at 4500kg and Max speed set at 70 and it routes via the M42. If I reduce the Max speed setting to 60mph it goes your preferred route via Bromsgrove.

It is clearly a timing issue as both are 36 minutes so there must be seconds in it despite the 6 more miles.

Doug
  • Lost_SoulLost_Soul Posts: 233 [Exalted Navigator]
    On this occasion trying out the route on my Go Camper (cycling through "all Vehicle Settings" / Go Premium X / Mydrive (web as Heavy Camper & truck ) I was sent via the M42 route as being the "fastest route".

However I concur with @BrianE that the routing on the Go Camper is totally unsatisfactory and I have many examples where the device sends me on crazy and illogical routes such that I have lost faith in its ability to plot even the simplest of routes................

See here for examples :

Still awaiting a response from Tomtom................... ;)@VikramK @lampard

A further example plotting a route from :

Mount Pleasant Lane School AL2 3UX to
    Chequers Lane, Saint Alban's (Bricket Wood)

Which is only a few hundred yards away, the Go Camper says no and will send me incorrectly pass a roundabout down the A405 for a mile or so to then do a U-Turn in St.Albans Road then back up the A405 to pass the very same roundabout......................... 2 1/4 miles ..................... :)

But do the same on MyDrive (web based) and it is even worse, the routes offered are to go up the M1 to Hemel Hempstead or further and then return down the M1; a total of 9 12 or "19" miles dependant on vehicle settings...........!!!!!

This is because TT regards Chequers Lane as being "Physically" on the M1 in Mydrive rather than a narrow lane running underneath the M1.

I reported this on Mapshare Reporter in September 2019 and according to TT it is "Fixed" ...................... Really, as it was only affecting MyDrive........
    Where??????? :'(B)
    Just tried it on the AA Route Planner (see below) and it plans the logical route via the Bromsgrove by-pass, so once again we see how unsatisfactory these expensive TomTom devices really are. They should be ashamed of themsleves as they have been in the business for such a long time by comparison that their devices should be state-of-the-art. They're taking our hard-earned money but not providing the quality of goods that we have a right to expect. Thanks Lost_Soul for providing further examples of TomTom's incompetence.
    y1nfoc130zwz.png