TomTom completely dead

DickN
DickN Registered Users Posts: 1
New Traveler
Tom Tom working and updated yesterday. This morning plugged in to PC and tried switching on - no response at all

Answers

• DougLap
    DougLap Posts: 9,831
    Superuser
    edited May 2020
    Hi @DickN

Can you use an Apple or similar phone charger that you can connect the USB cable to and charge the unit for about 2 hours with the cable inserted in the back of the device not via the cradle. This provides a better charge than from the PC.

If then it does not switch on even if you hold the On/Off button in for 20 seconds plus to try and get the drumroll sound and a re start. I suspect a Battery failure. If the is the case and the device is out of warrantee you could look on Youtube for videos on battery replacement on a GO510. Batteries are available from Ebay and Amazon etc if you feel confident enough to have a go.

Doug
  • ThomasN565
    ThomasN565 Registered Users Posts: 1
    New Seeker
    Dead TomTom XXL 540 - Thought it was a dead battery. No, the problem was much more simple and overlooked. The charging auto cable fell apart. Plug into lighter socket and unit would not charge; the tip fell off the charger cable and did not notice missing part.
  • Goker
    Goker Registered Users Posts: 1
    New Seeker
    This is ridiculous I’m trying to contact someone from tom tom it just goes to something else

My go supreme unit is completely dead and I can’t get answers. Very poor service can someone assist
  • DougLap
    DougLap Posts: 9,831
    Superuser
    edited January 23
    Hi @Goker

Have you tried charging the unit with an Apple or similar phone mains charger plug that will take the USB cable. If not do this for 2 hours plus then when ready Press and hold in the ON/OFF button for 20 seconds plus until you see the Tomtom icon and hear the Drumroll sound at which point let the button go. Connecting to a USB USB socket on a PC will not be providing a strong enough power supply.

There have been no phone lines to Customer Support since they have been working from home because of Covid.

Try the following:-

Tap Support at the top of this page
    You then HAVE to Sign in Top Right of next Page. (you have to do this)
    When signed in, and not before, Tap Contact Us bottom right
    A Help Support Box appears with a message optional the bottom.
    Type Contact or Chat in the box
    If Chat is available, Normal working hours Mon/Fri, you should be offered the chance to Tap Live Chat
    If it is Out of Hours for Chat you should be offered an option to message

If it does not work exactly as described then try another Web Browser. and or delete cookies

Doug