No camera alerts when no route planned — TomTom Community

No camera alerts when no route planned

LMKLMK Posts: 12 [Master Explorer]
I have a computer voice selected with read aloud warnings selected for camera alerts. Previously with my standalone Go device I used to get camera warnings even when a route was not selected. I use iPhone XS with 2.2 app version on Apple CarPlay and voice instructions off on my iPhone but no camera alerts when no route selected. If I plan a route then no problem. Is this a current limitation of the app or am I missing something?

Comments

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 5,483
    Superuser
    Hi @LMK

Good question. If you use the App on the Phone I know that the last time I used it that way it would advise of Cameras as I drove along with no route set. I have not noticed whether that is the same in CarPlay mode.

Maybe @lampard can indicate whether the cameras should be advised when in CarPlay mode or otherwise with no route set as I can’t try it at the moment.

Doug
  • lampardlampard Posts: 4,746 Moderator
    Hi @LMK

Welcome to the Community! I'll check this with my team and post back here.

Best, lampard
  • lampardlampard Posts: 4,746 Moderator
    HI @LMK

Can you please also confirm if it's just audio alerts missing or visual ones as well for a speed camera? Ideally, it should work without a route also.

Regards, lampard
    Superuser
    Hi @LMK

Thank you @lampard for your response. I have been able to do a short trip this morning and so can advise you what I have found if I run the App in CarPlay mode in No Route Planned mode then the following happens.

With the display in 3D display the Cameras are displayed on the screen and if I have a Computerised Voice selected along with Read Out Warnings set then the Camera, Including what type of camera If I have it set so , is advised. With a Recorded Voice selected then I get the Bong sound prior to reaching the Cameras but there is no indication as to the type of Camera it is.

If I run the CarPlay display in North Up mode then the same warnings are provided dependant upon the Voice and Sounds settings selected, except that whilst Traffic data is shown on the screen such as Red/Yellow road markings where there are Queues/Delays due to toad works, there is no Display of a camera or Mark on the map to show where the Cameras is positioned. So if a computerised voice and read aloud settings have been made you are verbally notified of a Cameras ahead and what type but with a Recorded voice there is just a sound and no indication that it is a cameras or where it is positioned.

Hope that helps.

Doug
  • LMKLMK Posts: 12 [Master Explorer]
    Hi Doug,
    That isn’t the case when I test it out so I’m a bit confused as to why your experience is different. If I run exactly what you did with no route selected and the same settings as you then I will only get a visual display on the map of upcoming cameras. I don’t get the sound alerts so I’m not sure what is happening here?
    Hi Lampard,
    When no route is selected then I get visual alerts of a camera on the map. I get no warning of any kind as I do when a route is selected. I have tried a computer voice and a recorded voice and the same problem persists. Just to clarify, I have voice instructions off on my iPhone app and sound on selected on CarPlay.
    Superuser
    Hi @LMK

I am assuming that when you have a route set then all sounds etc work normally as I am sure you would have mentioned it.

Could you just try the following. When in No Route mode and you are expecting a verbal warning of a cameras could you Press the Up volume button on your phone when you are expecting the notification to be made. To be honest I doubt this who make any difference if you are getting the sound normally but it would be interesting if it makes a difference which it can do if the sound is not working at all in the odd instance.

Doug
    Okay Doug, I’ll give that a go.
    Okay, I tested it thoroughly I reckon. I tested the navigation volume by selecting a route and all instructions including camera alerts were loud and clear. I then ended the route via CarPlay and kept the volume on. The voice instructions within the iPhone app was muted. All camera and safety warnings were selected to Always just to make sure I’d get all alerts. In 3D view and no route selected I got a visual camera on the CarPlay map but no audio warnings. When I switched to 2Dview I got no visual camera alerts or audio warnings. I even uninstalled the app and downloaded again with just UK North downloaded.
    Superuser
    Hi @LMK

Okay that is useful information for @lampard. Clearly you are not getting the same as I am. Did you try my suggestion of pressing the Volume button on the iPhone when you were in the no route set situation despite the volume being okay when you had a route but just carried on .

By the way when you delete the App it deletes all the maps you had. When you reload it it adds the map covering the Area you are currently in, in my case it would cover the SE UK. You will have to reload the rest of the maps required.

Doug
    Yes I did do that and still nothing. Yes I know about the downloading cheers.
    Any news? It’s gone very quiet.
    Superuser
    Hi @LMK

I have just noted the following comment you made in an earlier post.

“Just to clarify, I have voice instructions off on my iPhone app and sound on selected on CarPlay.”

I do not turn the voice instructions off on the phone. The phone is set exactly as it needs to be if I was just using the App on the phone. When I connect the Phone to the CarPlay unit via the cable the phone auto mutes and the mapping disappears unless I Tap the I am not driving option.

So do not turn the instructions off.

Doug
    Superuser
    edited May 7
    Hi @LMK @lampard

I have just tried the Go Navigation App with either the Speaker icon or the Voices icon either end of the volume bar turned Off on the phone. With those settings on the phone when then connected and running in CarPlay mode there is no Sound even if the Speaker icon in CarPlay mode is showing as On.

Doug
    That doesn’t make much sense. I turn off voice instructions to mute direction instructions but still hear camera alerts. This works fine when a route is selected. The problem arises when no route is selected and I get no camera alerts.
    Superuser
    edited May 20
    Hi @LMK @lampard

Today I have had another opportunity to further test this situation and the following is what happened.

Firstly when using the App on the Phone only and not connected to my CarPlay unit I tried a short run which includes a Camera. With the Voices Icon at the righthand end of the Volume slider on my Phone turned Off I set a route and followed it getting no directions but I was advised of the Camera as I approached it . I then returned to where I had started from and cancelled the Route so there was No Route set and drove past the camera again and I got the same advice of the Camera as I had been given with a route set.

I then repeated the above two runs with the Phone connected to my CarPlay unit via a USB cable and again with the Voice Icon on the Phone turned off. I got the same results in that with or without a route set I was advised of the Camera whilst not getting any Directional information.

This corrects an error in my previous post.

Doug
    Hi Doug,
    None of what you are doing is really helping on afraid.
    Superuser
    Hi @LMK

Whilst I, a customer like you, appreciate that my last post has not suggested a solution it has established what it appears should be happening.

Unless someone can find a solution for you in order for Tomtom to Identify why you have the issue, and so if there is a bug in the App they would need to know, in addition to your Phone model, which you mentioned earlier , the IOS version, Vehicle and CarPlay models and your method of connecting the phone to the CarPlay unit. I have an IPhone SE, latest IOS, VWGolf connected via USB cable.

Until this is resolved it would appear you will have to activate the Voice when in No Route situation.

Doug
    As I stated in my first post the problem persists with or without sound on. Whether a computer or recorded voice is selected on or not if no route is selected then no camera alerts are given other than visual. The IOS and TomTom app are up to date, the CarPlay is the latest generation ie 2019 BMW with WiFi CarPlay. Your VW sounds like its an older version with it being wired so maybe that has something to do with it?
    Superuser
    edited May 9
    HI @LMK

So there is no confusion what you mean by Sound on or off , and when CarPlay is not involved, when the phone is used on its own, not connected to Wifi CarPlay, and with the voice instructions set to Off do you get sound/verbal notifications of Cameras with no route set..

If no alerts are given for Cameras in no route mode when not connected to CarPlay then CarPlay is not the issue but the App on your phone.

Doug
    Hi Doug,
    I tested it yesterday and all is working as expect when not connected to CarPlay ie when no route is selected audio and visual camera alerts are given but only in 3D mode.
    Superuser
    Hi @LMK

Thank you for coming back. Because you have said in 3D mode I have just checked this morning and run the App on the phone (SE) only with the Guidance View setting as 2D and the Voice Icon at the righthand end of the Volume bar in the App set to OFF.

With the above setting as I approach the camera I firstly get a Sound warning then a Route bar appears with a big Greyish Camera icon at the bottom and the Speed limit at the top. I then got the verbal warning that it was a Fixed Camera.

Could you confirm that you do or do not get this on your phone and then @lampard can forward the information. If you do get the warnings in 2D then the App would appear to be working fine but you are not getting the warnings in CarPlay made. I suspect that you cannot but if you can could you try connecting to CarPlay via USB and see if it works that way.

Doug
    I can confirm that I get no warnings when in 2D mode while using the iPhone app without CarPlay.
    Superuser
    edited May 16
    Hi @LMK

Thank you . @lampard can pass this on to the relevant team. with the details of your phone model etc .

Doug
  • CuzerCuzer Posts: 3 [New Seeker]
    @LMK @lampard did this situation ever get resolved? I'm contemplating purchasing the TomTom Go app for iphone to use through Apple Car Play but the facility to have speed camera locations announced without having a route planned is critical to me and how I intend to use it in my vehicle, is the Tom Tom App capable of doing this?

Thanks in advance