Is my Rider 450 dead? — TomTom Community

Is my Rider 450 dead?

Smudge-SmithSmudge-Smith Posts: 5 [Apprentice Seeker]
I brought my Rider 450 Premium Pack 2nd hand over a year ago from a friend who upgraded to the 550 and transferred the 450 to my account. All was working well until last week.
I plugged in the 450 to check for updates...at which point it got stuck on updating...I've left the thing plugged in for over 24 hours and it still says updating.... I didn't get a chance to deselect any of the maps either as when the tomtom is connected it just goes straight into update mode.
I've tried all the remedies suggested in this forum, deleting caches, reinstalling TomTom My drive connect, changing USB port and disabling power suspend. Soft resets, hard resets (pressing the on / off button three times on the screen with the white writing). I've uninstalled Bitdefender and even reinstalled windows 10 to a bare bones install with nothing else installed.
Over the last week, I've lost count of the amount of times I've downloaded the updates only to delete them via emptying the cached, deleting HOME3 folder etc. On a couple of occasions I've unplugged the tomton to receive a message telling me upgrades installed successfully when they haven't. Tom Tom then wouldn't boot so I replaced SD card thinking it may be that (SandDisk Class 10 32gb). Now my device boots but only has maps that seem to be installed on the device. I live in UK and that map that I need (Europe) is missing. I've tried swapping to a smaller map (Tangiers) to keep the tomtom viable but no maps seem to download to my new sd card... just the preinstalled ones on the TomTom itself. (I've no plans to go to Africa or Australia anytime soon so a bit useless).
I now seem to have removed my device from my account... tried to add it back again only for screen to get stuck on Your Device is being Added and my Ride 450 showing as updating. How can it update when it is no longer associated with my account?
Unless there is some magic back end voodo stuff that can be performed I fear this thing is now just a brick.

Comments

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 17,062
    Superusers
    edited April 27
    Hi
    @Smudge-Smith

My Rider 4xx is working OK
    The Rider 4xx have 16GB on-board memory should be OK, unless of course they are stuffed full of Maps....
    The Rider NAV4 & 5 (Wi-Fi) devices all have Micro SDHC Memory card slots to expand the memory when required...

Important See Catch22...
    Here... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1686043/#Comment_1686043

ATB YFM
  • Smudge-SmithSmudge-Smith Posts: 5 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Thanks for your reply. These are the maps that are currently showing installed on my Rider ( from the About Screen)

Africa 1046.10129
    Algeria 1045.10059
    Australia 1045.10059
    Egypt 1045.10059
    Israel 1045.10059
    Middle East 1045.10059
    New Zealand 1045.10059
    Oceania 10045.10059
    South East Asia 1045.10059
    Taiwan 10045.10059
    Tunisia 10045.10059

Free memory
    8.25 GB Internal Memory
    31.84 GB Memory Card

None of them much good to me at the moment as I live in UK.
    As I said previously, when my Rider was associated with my account, MyDrive connect showed 15 updates waiting to be installed. Couldn't select / deselect any until Rider was plugged in... at which point the install just started of it's own accord, thereby not allowing me to select / deselect / uninstall anything anything.
    Whenever I plug my Rider into my PC it just says updating... even though my MyDrive Connect no longer has an association with the device as I accidentally removed it. Trying to add it back again just hangs the screen at Adding Device...last time lasted for three hours until I unplugged it
    So, without UK / Europe maps and no apparent ability to install them, unless I move to one of the above areas - this device now appears to be a brick.
    Superusers
    edited April 28
    Hi
    @Smudge-Smith
    I realise this is 20/20 hindsight....
    But either the previous owner or yourself initiated the 'Update all' sequence....
    If you choose to install the updates en mass and then if there's a problem/glitch in one of the updates, instead of waiting for only one update to time-out on the server, you will have to wait for a long queue of updates to time-out on the server....
    Tomtom Staff can't cancel the download queue once started, you have to leave the device connected and wait for each download in the queue to time-out....

I always update my devices one Update at a time...
    The NavCore Application and QuickFixGPS updates are mandatory and force ticked by Tomtom... Deselect any other updates like Maps, Speed Cams etc... Update the mandatory item/s first, when complete update the remaining items one at a time.
    The full Europe on its own is now over 9+GB

ATB YFM
    So just to update this thread, my Ride 450 has been connected to my PC for over 24 hours and just finished with the device showing a message that the "update failed - please try again"... Please try again for another 24 hours??? LOL
    I'm guessing that no updates to the device have actually been performed and a timer has just timed out to produce that message.
    Meanwhile, MDC continues to show "Your device being added". for around the last 30 hours....

This must be the worst POS I've had the misfortune to spend money on.

Maybe TomTom feel cheated that they lost money on a sale when I bought this second hand and this is their way of trying to force me to buy a new one ;-)
    Superusers
    edited April 28
    Hi
    @Smudge-Smith

Maybe Try this... After each of the downloads that's in the queue, has timed out on the server....
    Disconnect the device... Execute a Drum roll restart
    Then reconnect the device and wait for the next download in the queue to time out
    I guess you may have to do the above several times... Until the download queue has finally cleared....

I always update my devices one Update at a time
    The NavCore Application and QuickFixGPS updates are mandatory and force ticked by Tomtom... Deselect any other updates like Maps, Speed Cams etc... Update the mandatory item/s first, when complete update the remaining items ONE AT A TIME....

Soft/Drum roll restart on the device ??? This restarts the devices Operating System afresh
    RESETTING YOUR NAVIGATION DEVICE
    https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/6965//session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xNDI2NjM0NDUyL3NpZC9EQTdTVHpobQ

Charge the device for at least 2Hrs "OR" have the device plugged into a power supply
    Press and hold the on/off button until you hear a drum-roll sound then release the on/off button.
    You won’t lose anything; it’s just like rebooting your PC
    I use a Soft/drum-roll start after any upgrade large or small.
    It’s also useful to keep in mind for sorting out most minor niggles......

ATB YFM
    Hi @YamFazMan

Thanks for your suggestions.

I left device connected for 30 hours and got a message on my TomTom saying update complete! Now we're getting somewhere I thought. Did the soft reset and went into settings to check the maps... Still the same maps which are useless to me, and still the same version numbers with no sign of my Europe map having been downloaded to the SD card- so not exactly sure what has taken over 30 hours to update. Decided to give it one more go and said POS has been connected to my PC and 'updating' for 4 days now ... that's over 100 hours !!!
    If still 'updating' this time tomorrow then I'll just disconnect it and bin it and go back to using my phone and WAZE and console myself that at least I didn't pay the full asking price for such a shabby product.
    Binned !