Problem with the map update for Australia — TomTom Community

Problem with the map update for Australia

RedTag-0101RedTag-0101 Posts: 4 [Apprentice Seeker]
Hi there,
I have the Tom Tom Go app, v1.18.1 release/1.18 (2169), installed on a Samsung S8+ & which has been running for over 3 yrs without a problem.

A week ago the Australian map was showing that an update was available so I commenced the update, however when the download got to 97% complete it displayed "download paused" as there was no network connection, but there was nothing wrong with my network connection.

I tried numerous times but the same thing kept happening; I reset the app but the result was the same.

I thought deleting the map & downloading it again might work, unfortunately exactly the same thing happened again & now I have no map! As a test I downloaded the map of New Zealand & that worked fine.

I then uninstalled the app & reinstalled it however the same thing keeps happening, it gets to 96% or 97% & then stops with "download paused" error message.

This happened 6 days ago and each subsequent day I have tried to download the Australian map with no luck.

Can someone please tell me how I can sort out this problem as the app is useless without the map? Thanks.

Best Answers

• RedTag-0101RedTag-0101 Posts: 4 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Accepted Answer
    Hi Lampard,
    I meant to get back to you yesterday but ran out of time. I have no memory card in my phone & I had tried using both my cell data & my Wi-Fi but both produced the same result, I also don't have any antivirus software on my phone.

However, I received an email from customer support (Prachi) yesterday, he has also been trying to assist me with this problem.

He stated that this was a known issue & they were trying to develop a workaround, in the meantime he suggested I try downloading the Navigation Go app (I wasn't sure what this was) anyway I went to the Play Store & searched for it & it just brought up the app I already had installed, so I opened the app, which opened on the map download page so I thought what the heck I'll try the download again & surprise, surprise, IT WORKED!

So now I have the map back on the phone & I can use the app. I had just one small issue, when I tried downloading the Serena voice it got to around 50 and paused, like it was doing previously with the map, however I tried again last night & it worked fine.

So everything appears to be back to normal & I'm very happy about that.

I certainly won't be deleting the map if such an issue reoccurs in a future map update that's for sure.

Thanks for your assistance, it's much appreciated ,
    Cheers,
    RedTag-0101

Answers

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 17,481
    Superusers
    Hi
    @RedTag-0101
    Welcome to the site....
    Does your Phone have enough free space to install the Map ???

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
    Hi YamFazMan,
    Yes my phone has 29 GB of free space on internal memory and the map only requires 558 MB so that shouldn't be a problem.

I also have another phone with the app on it and I'm getting exactly the same problem with the update, it gets to 97% & stops. It has 16 GB of free space.

I wondered if there was an issue with the Australian map and its update?
  • lampardlampard Posts: 4,841 Moderator
    Hi @RedTag-0101

Welcome to the Community! Did you already sort this one out? I would advise you to make a clean re-installation of the App on your Android device, see the steps below:
    • Go to the Settings of the Phone.
    • Go to ‘Applications’ (maybe called different depending on the OS version used).
    • Go to ‘Application Manager’ (maybe called different depending on the OS version used).
    • Find the app in the list you’d like to uninstall and tap on it.
    • Click ‘Force Quit/Force Stop’.
    • In the ‘Storage’ section, tap first ‘Clear Cache’ and then tap ‘Clear Data
    • Here, tap on ‘Uninstall’.
    • Log out of the Playstore.
    • Delete Android / data / com.tomtom.gplay.navapp and Android / OBB / com.tomtom.gplay.navapp.
    • Open the Playstore login and reinstall the app on the internal memory (Not on SD Card).
    • Once done please close all the apps which are running in the background reboot the phone.
    • Reopen the TomTom app and test.

Let us know how it goes!

Best, lampard
    Hi Lampard,
    thanks for your help.

I went through all the steps you suggested but sadly the result was the same, the download was paused, but this time at only 6%.

One thing I might mention that may be important is that after the clean reinstall the Australian map shows that it is a 655 MB file, then when this download fails & I retry it appears as a 558 MB file. Perhaps it's still seeing something on my phone from the previous installs?

The com.tomtom.gplay.navapp and Android / OBB / com.tomtom.gplay.navapp have definitely been deleted in the uninstall though, I had checked that in my previous attempts prior to you mentioning it & I checked again this time round.

I made a few more tries & it got past 6% but it paused again at 97%
  • lampardlampard Posts: 4,841 Moderator
    Thanks for checking this, @RedTag-0101!

It seems a bit odd, do you have any antivirus software installed on the phone? If you're using any Memory card > remove it and then try downloading the map again.

Perhaps try to download the map on a different network as if you were using the data connection, connect to WiFi, or vice versa.

Best, lampard
    Accepted Answer
    Hi Lampard,
    I meant to get back to you yesterday but ran out of time. I have no memory card in my phone & I had tried using both my cell data & my Wi-Fi but both produced the same result, I also don't have any antivirus software on my phone.

However, I received an email from customer support (Prachi) yesterday, he has also been trying to assist me with this problem.

He stated that this was a known issue & they were trying to develop a workaround, in the meantime he suggested I try downloading the Navigation Go app (I wasn't sure what this was) anyway I went to the Play Store & searched for it & it just brought up the app I already had installed, so I opened the app, which opened on the map download page so I thought what the heck I'll try the download again & surprise, surprise, IT WORKED!

So now I have the map back on the phone & I can use the app. I had just one small issue, when I tried downloading the Serena voice it got to around 50 and paused, like it was doing previously with the map, however I tried again last night & it worked fine.

So everything appears to be back to normal & I'm very happy about that.

I certainly won't be deleting the map if such an issue reoccurs in a future map update that's for sure.

Thanks for your assistance, it's much appreciated ,
    Cheers,
    RedTag-0101