Problem with GO 5100 - can't connect to PC by USB 3.0

volvomaniak
volvomaniak Registered Users Posts: 4
Apprentice Seeker
Hello, I have a problem with my navigation device - Tomtom GO 5100. When I connect the navigation device to PC with original Tomtom usb cable - and I use USB 3.0 ports on my PC to do that, Mydrive Connect application can't connect to navigation device. It says "no connection!" under the name of model of my navigation device. Please help

Answers

• LAURE123
    LAURE123 Posts: 1,632
    Superuser
    Hi @volvomaniak

I use the USB3 ports of my PCs without worries with my TomTom devices and MyDrive Connect (MDC). What doesn't work is the use of a USB hub, a cable that cannot exchange data or the car holder.
    Look at this topic on a theme similar to yours, it could help you:
    https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1122179/tom-tom-go-5100

Regards
  • volvomaniak
    Apprentice Seeker
    I tried listed solutions by You LAURE123 but with no luck. I will add information that on my mom's laptop DELL Inspiron 17 5000 series with Windows 10 Home edition my navigaton device - Tomtom go 5100 works fine with usb 3.0 ports. My Drive Connect sees navigation device and I can update it. On my other PC with motherboard Gigabyte model 78LMT-USB3 R2 and the Windows 10 Home Edition the problem with connection by USB 3.0 ports is unfortunately still there. Any solutions to my problem would be appreciated
  • Rob_R
    Rob_R Registered Users Posts: 56
    Supreme Trailblazer
    Hi @volvomaniak

Out of interest, that motherboard also has USB 2 ports. Does it work when connected to a USB 2 port on that PC?
  • volvomaniak
    Apprentice Seeker
    @Rob_R

My navigation device Tom Tom GO 5100 works fine with USB 2.0 ports on my desktop PC's motherboard Gigabyte 78LMT-USB3 R2.
    But I can't figure out why it doesn't work with USB 3.0 ports. Where is the problem - my motherboard or navigation device? It's so strange
  • volvomaniak
    Apprentice Seeker
    edited December 2021
    Hi @LAURE123

Thanks for very insightful informations in Your reply.

I have checked and my motherboard is probably revision 1.0 (that is exactly what is written on the sticker on the cardboard box of my motherboard.)

Answering Your questions:

1. The USB3 port you want to use (normally backward compatible USB2) work for other USB3 or USB2 devices?

The USB3 port I want to use works only for USB2 devices

2. It's in the Front Panel or back of the motherboard? (problem with hardware connection or HUB driver) ?

It's on the back of the motherboard.

3. Your Windows 10 is maybe the result of an update from an older W7 or W8 OS. Normally W10 via Windows Update updates the drivers but sometimes you have to do a manual check and installation.

My Windows 10 was installed on a new, fresh and empty SSD hard drive bought in the IT store. There wasn't any update from older W7 or W8 OS

I will try the solution from You with the USB 3.0 drivers listed above. I will contact here when I done this and test if everything (the USB 3.0 units) work fine or not.

Thanks for help.

Regards

UPDATE

I checked the USB 3.0 ports on my PC by connecting a USB 3.0 flash drive. It works fine without problems - it connects to PC , the device is recognized by windows 10 and the transfer speeds for files saved on the device and copied from the device are in norm of USB 3.0

So now I don't know where else I could try to resolve my problem with no connection by USB 3.0 ports with my TomTom Go 5100 sat nav to PC.