Uploading ITN files to Tomtom from phone. — TomTom Community

Uploading ITN files to Tomtom from phone.

BugslayerBugslayer Posts: 12 [Master Explorer]
Is there a way to upload an ITN file from my Android phone to my Tomtom 550, using MyDrive or any other means? How about going the other direction?

Best Answers

• RoadRiderRoadRider Posts: 455 [Supreme Pioneer]
    Accepted Answer
    Yes, you can use an OTG cable to connect your TomTom Ridere 550 to your Phone.
    Accepted Answer
    Just dit the test again. And it still works on my Moto x4 with Android 9.
    • Connect cables.
    • Sellect Import Routes on your Rider
    • In Files you have to go to to the Hamburger menu and Sellect TomTom Rider 550
    • Past the files and close the session on your Rider
    • Disconnect the cables.
    • Done

(File Manager + is a little bit easier to use)

Answers

Accepted Answer
  • BugslayerBugslayer Posts: 12 [Master Explorer]
    So despite the fact that the 550 has both wifi AND Bluetooth, I have to use a cable? And will that really work? My PC needs that MyDrive Connect tool to make the USB connection. Without it the tomtom is invisible to Windows 10 over USB.
    Ah, I see what you mean. I didn't realize MDC wasn't necessary to connect to the TomTom drives from Windows. Thanks!

So is RoadRider correct that an OTG cable will work to connect an Android phone to the Rider and access the TomTom drives? It still seems very clunky that with both a Bluetooth and Wifi connection possible neither can be used to transfer .itn files. I was able to do that with my old Rider 2nd Ed. (killed by the WNR bug) via Bluetooth.

Also, I recorded a track the other day, but when I tried to share it (I guess to the MyDrive app on my phone?) it said that my newly installed and formatted 14GB SD card didn't have room, which is ridiculous. Somewhere else I read that there are two different formats for the SD card?
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 16,754 [Elite Vanguard]
    edited April 8
    Hi
    @Bugslayer

Edit...
    For storing Maps on a Tomtom devices the Class 10 Micro SDHC Card MUST be formatted FAT32
    Then formatted in the device with Tomtoms own Propriety Format

For Transferring .ITN Routes or .GPX Tracks the Micro SDHC Card only needs be formatted FAT32 (Tomtoms own Propriety Format is only required for storing Maps)

14GB that seems a strange size... Usually 8GB, 16GB or 32GB etc....

Maybe You have a Counterfeit Micro SD Card ???
    There are lots of Videos on-line... How to identify a FAKE Micro SD Memory Card... Just Google 'Counterfeit Micro SD Cards'
    They can be very visually very convincing

I downloaded the Micro SD Card Test Program 'H2testw' from Softpedia
    It generates and copies 1GB files to the card until the card is full + Checks the Read/Write speed
    Here... https://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System-Miscellaneous/H2testw.shtml
    Note... The program 'H2testw' checked out as Virus free... Using Avast AV & Malwarebytes

program copies 1GB files to the card until the card is full + Checks the Read/Write speed
    A formated 16GB card should hold around 15ish of the 1GB files to fill the Card and 31ish files to fill a 32GB Card
    The Fake cards have software installed, that fools the PC into repeatedly over writing the data on a much smaller Memory card, giving the impression its much larger than it is in reality...

Luckily all my cards check out OK
    Use the above at your own discretion...

Test results... My 16GB Toshiba SDHC Card
    Warning: Only 14915 of 14916 MByte tested.
    Test finished without errors.
    You can now delete the test files *.h2w or verify them again.
    Writing speed: 15.4 MByte/s
    Reading speed: 18.8 MByte/s
    H2testw v1.4
    Installed 1GB Flles = 15

ATB YFM
    Sorry, I misspoke. It's a 16 GB card. Not fake, and the TomTom formatted it with no problem. It is visible to Windows when I link to the Tom Tom.
    RoadRider wrote: »

I looked around the web, and I have the impression TomTom's will not work with OTG usb cables. Do you know of one that will work with an Android USB - C?
    I've been kicking the tires of my new Rider 550 with the help of YamFazMan and a few others, and these are my conclusions so far. I hope I am wrong about some of them, or that TomTom has some major firmware and software updates in the works. They REALLY should.

MyDrive

1) When creating a route, you cannot add locations saved in MyPlaces. What is the point of MyPlaces then?

2) You cannot import .ITN files into MyDrive. This is a big one, and incredibly stupid of TomTom.

3) ITN Routes successfully loaded into the TomTom’s MyRoutes folder via USB or SD card (TomTom device bullet 1 below) DO NOT APPEAR in the MyDrive MyRoutes tab (phone or web).

4) Tracks created in MyDrive web and saved to MyRoutes do not synchronize with the TomTom device over USB!!!! However they do sync with the MyDrive phone app via internet, and then over Bluetooth from the phone to the TomTom. That makes no sense.

5) You cannot modify tracks on the MyDrive app as you can with the MyDrive (web). (So again, what’s the point?) Adding stops is not modifying the track. I even tried opening the desktop version of MyDrive on my phone in Chrome, but it was unusable.

TomTom device

1) Despite having both Wifi AND Bluetooth, you cannot transfer ITN routes to and from the TomTom without using the USB cable or SD card.. So there is no means by which to load an ITN file onto the TomTom from your phone except SD card.

2) Despite having WiFi, Bluetooth, and USB, you cannot transfer (share) tracks or routes out of the device memory at all without using an sd card!

3) Formatting an SD card with the TomTom reserves it for TomTom maps and voices only? To use an SD for file transfers it must be FAT32 and NOT formatted by TomTom.

4) You cannot modify routes on the TomTom and save those modifications to the route for downloading.

5) What is with the apparent duplication of routes in the MyRoutes folder on the TomTom? ITN files appear with a “(2)” after them.''

6) The TomTom cannot connect to public WiFi requiring the negotiation of a sign-up webpage, (like most WiFi hotspots in hotels, etc.) It seems to me that this, coupled with the limitations imposed on the syncing or transfer of Routes and Tracks with your phone, and the lack of route-editing ability in the MyDrive phone app, makes WiFi an almost useless feature on the TomTom. Really, how often do you have to update your base map while on the road anyway?

Compatibility

Previously you could save and retrieve for editing ITN and GTX files directly out of the TomTom device using Tyre. No more!

So you are linking the two cables in order to keep the TomTom cable as the one plugged into the TomTom?
    What apps are you using on your phone for creating/modifying tracks/routes? My-Route or Kurviger?
    Hmm. I have Android 9 on my moto x4. A lot of people seem to be saying the Pie update dropped OTG support...
    Bugslayer wrote: »
    Hmm. I have Android 9 on my moto x4. A lot of people seem to be saying the Pie update dropped OTG support...

I also have a moto x4. With my OTG cable it works.

I will repeat my test for you.
    Accepted Answer
    Just dit the test again. And it still works on my Moto x4 with Android 9.
    • Connect cables.
    • Sellect Import Routes on your Rider
    • In Files you have to go to to the Hamburger menu and Sellect TomTom Rider 550
    • Past the files and close the session on your Rider
    • Disconnect the cables.
    • Done

(File Manager + is a little bit easier to use)
    You were correct. Got an OTG cable, and so long as I use it with the original TomTom cable, no problems. Thank you.

Can you tell me exactly what the numbers in parentheses after an ITN file loaded into the TOMTOM device memory indicates? Mine seemed to start at (2), and when I loaded new versions with the same filenames it changed to (3). Do the files get overwritten if you re-import the same file name? Should I clean out the Device Memory before moving updated files over again from the buffer memory (the files on the device visible with file explorer)?

Is there any way to move files from the buffer memory on the device into the main memory on the device without needing to connect to a computer/phone?
    Sorry, I do not now the meaning of the numbers and the answer to the other questions.

When I import a new route using USB I always delete the older routes in the buffer memory before I place new files using the File Explorer on the connected Device

But for me it is something I don't do often. I mainly drive Tracks and use "Load Track" to upload them. I do not have a Android version of "Load Track" yet. I am still busy with a Android version of "Send ITN Route" it basically works but I need to integrate native Android code to receive and send files the Android way.
    And at the moment I am to busy to and do not have time for this project.

I think @YamFazMan can help us with this answers he also mainly drives ITN Routes.