VIA 1515 dropping GPS signal — TomTom Community

VIA 1515 dropping GPS signal

MY PORTABLE GPS CONTINUOUSLY DROPS THE SIGNAL EVEN AFTER I HAVE DOWNLOADED AND INSTALLED MANY GPS FIXES - SO FRUSTRATED THAT FIXES DONT WORK AND THAT A CUSTOMER CANT GET ANY HELP. WEB SITE TAKES YOU AROUND IN CIRCLES WITH NO ANSWERS BEING GIVEN. I LIVE AND BOUGHT MY GPS IN WESTERN CANADA AND WEBSITE TAKES ME TO THE US AND THEN TO THE UK AFTER FILLING IN DATA... NEED HELP! RESET DOESNT FIX PROBLEM

Comments

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 16,156 Superusers
    Hi
    @JaneW
    Welcome to the site....
    You haven't stated which Tomtom Device/Model you own ???

ATB YFM
  • JaneWJaneW Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I have a VIA 1515TM.
    edited March 24
    Hi
    @JaneW

A Drum-roll Soft Start can help.... Hold the ON/OFF Power button in until you hear a Drum-roll sound... Then release the button.... This will reinitialize the devices Operating System, like restarting your PC

Fully charge the Battery (At least 2 Hours)
    A low battery can cause GPS Satellite fix problems
    First Plan a route on the device... Now place the device outside with a clear view to the sky
    (I used a a 5200 mAh battery power-pack... while waiting for a Satellite lock)
    It can take anything up to 30 Minutes to get the first Satellite Lock
    After the Initial '1st Lock' the device should lock quickly onto the Satellites

ATB YFM
    edited March 24
    Hi
    @JaneW

If your still struggling to get a 1st GPS Fix
    Try....
    I have found with my Car parked on the drive, if I placed the device on the centre of the Cars roof (I used one of those 'Sticky' rubber mats to stop it sliding off the roof)
    The device will obtain it's first GPS Satellite lock more quickly... The metal roof of the Car acts as a ground-plane for the SatNav GPS Antenna and increases the signal strength

Test... GO 825 Live connected to a 5200 mAh battery power-pack... PND Displaying 'GPS Status Menu'
    (1)... Centre of Car roof (Parked on drive).....
    Signal strength 86% Connected Satellites 9
    (2)... Outside clear view to the sky.....
    Signal strength 61% Connected Satellites 6
    (3)... Indoors 1st floor one metre from window.....
    Signal strength 51% Connected Satellites 4
    (4)... Indoors ground floor one metre from window.....
    Signal strength 41% Connected Satellites 3

DON'T FORGET... If your using the cars roof
    Keep an eye on the device, you wouldn't want a family member driving off not knowing its on the roof or a Thief walking off with your SatNav

Also its a long drop from the Cars roof onto the hard surface of the drive, I doubt a SatNav would survive a fall like that

Use the above information at your own risk, the usual exclaimers apply

ATB YFM
  • dhndhn Posts: 33,278 Superusers
    Support:

Canada (en)
    1 877-757-7137
    Monday - Friday: 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. EST