Language display on MyDrive Connect (web application) — TomTom Community

Language display on MyDrive Connect (web application)

Hello All:

I'm in Tunisia at the moment, planning routes on the MyDriveConnect web application so that I can send these routes to my Rider 550.

The map that appears on the web interface generally shows English language labels for places, roads, and points of interest - probably because the web application detects that my computer's language is English - but when I select one of these English language labelled locations to put into a route, the location appears in the route with an Arabic language description. This is no good, when the route or place transfers over to my Rider 550, I will be unable to read the Arabic place name.

How can I ensure that I get English language waypoint names, instead of Arabic language waypoint names?

See the photo below.

Michael

language(1).JPG

Answers

• dhndhn Posts: 33,326
    Superusers
    Have you tried deleting the cookies in your browser?
  • ST1300_PanEuropeanST1300_PanEuropean Posts: 80 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    No, but I will do so, thanks for that suggestion.
  • LochfrassLochfrass Posts: 13,665
    Superusers
    edited March 2020
    I think ......this will have nothing to do with the language settings or the cookies.

It's the street names themselves.
    If you select a German street it will also be shown in your browser as German Street.
    Example: Wassermühlen Straße and not displayed as Watermill Street.
    The street names will not be translated into your own language during the planning process but will remain in the language of the country where the street is located.

Finally the context menu remains in the correct "native language".
    yhcapko9pyis.jpg
  • ST1300_PanEuropeanST1300_PanEuropean Posts: 80 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    edited March 2020
    @Lochfrass

Thanks Lochfrass, your answer makes a certain amount of sense.

I do appreciate that street names are not translated from one language to another (e.g. German to English), but in that example, at least those two languages use the same character set (the Roman alphabet).

What perplexed me about the Arabic text when I save a location in Tunisia to 'MyPlaces' is that when I zoom in on the location on the web map, the name of the location appears in Roman text. Yet when I select that location and save it, the same name then appears in Arabic script in 'MyPlaces'. Note, for example, the name of the metro station in the picture I posted up above. It's Roman script on the map, but Arabic script when saved.

I guess I'll just have to edit the name from Arabic to English at the time I save the location (in other words, while I still can remember the English language name).

Michael