My iPhone gets very hot while connected - Page 5 — TomTom Community

My iPhone gets very hot while connected

1235»

Comments

• SinglePointSafetySinglePointSafety Posts: 54 [Sovereign Trailblazer]
    Interesting to see these comments. Just used TT GO on wife's iPhone 8, then on return journey used TTG on my Android Pixel, journey length about 12 km.

Differences: iphone was noticeably warmer but didn't get hot since the Qi charger is attached to an air vent. iPhone went from 93% to 95% charge, Pixel went from 93% to 100% (and indeed was fully-charged before the end of the journey). Pixel phone was not even warm. Same case type/thickness for both phones.

Thus some supporting evidence that the implementation of TT GO on the iPhone is more power-hungry than the Android version
  • Haworthman75Haworthman75 Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    My system is an iPhone SE 2020 running iOS 14.4, TomTom app 2.4.1.
    Within 15 minutes my phone overheats and the screen dims. Also I lose mobile data (and hence traffic) passing from one cell tower to another and doesn’t come back unless I manually turn mobile data off and then on again. Not safe when driving.
    Working, as it did when I first started using it four years ago, TomTom Go is the best there is and used to work without a hitch. Now… I’m reluctantly using Copilot. It lacks features I’ve grown to love but at least it works!
    Please TomTom, I know that for some reason it doesn’t afflict everyone but there is clearly an issue here. I know of two others who have downloaded Go on my recommendation who don’t use it any more because of this problem.
  • Dave23572Dave23572 Posts: 15 [Outstanding Explorer]
    edited February 23
    Is there any roadmap on when this very old problem might get solved?
    It still does it in the recent update versions. Furthermore the recent versions seems to be very buggy. Come on TomTom!
  • Herbe089Herbe089 Posts: 6 [Apprentice Traveler]
    edited March 9
    Can confirm all this for 100%, I use an iPhone 12 Pro, iOS 14.4.1 and TT GO 2.4.1. iPhone is 2,5 weeks old. Even while planning a route at home, my phone gets hot within minutes in my hand. While driving, the screen dims within 10 minutes and the phone is blazing hot (not connected to a charger). This all happened today. Used Waze on the way back, and all of this did not happen. Also, the AmiGO app did not put on this issue. As I can see from the posts below, TT acknowledges this problem as the developers are working on it (for quite a (too) long time i think). My TT subscription ends 08-05-21. Signed off already as this issue is utterly unacceptable to me. I do not want to have an app ruin my brand new €1200 iPhone battery. Sorry TT, after all these years.
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 8,002
    Superuser
    Hi @Herbe089

Its odd that I have the iPhone 12 mini and whilst it gets warm in my car when connected via cable and running CarPlay it does not dim or get as hot as my previous unit the SE original version.

Doug
  • RicoKRicoK Posts: 150 [Supreme Navigator]
    @Herbe089 @DougLap This is exactly (one of) the reason why I ended my subscription too. My iPhone 11 Pro Max gets also really hot within minutes. Also my former iPhone 8 Plus got hot when using the app. When using Waze and Google and Apple Maps my iPhone stays very cool all connected the same way to the headunit with Apple CarPlay by a MFI Lightning Cable.
  • yehoudinyehoudin Posts: 421 [Supreme Trailblazer]
    edited March 10
    Jürgen wrote: »
    As posted in response to your comment on the 2.4 release notes, we're still trying to reproduce this issue.
    @Jürgen

We have the same discussion somewhere in the German form as well. Actually, what is the state of the play? I even offered a live demonstration of the problem, as well as it would not be too difficult to offer all the logfiles or even to install a version of Tom Tom with extended loglevels.

Let me guess: you know the problem, but it is so intrinsic to the architecture that it is not possible to solve it?
    ☹️
    I suspect this will not be an easy fix. It's probably a fundamental issue with the software. Or possibly it was ported from the software on the TomTom standalone SatNavs and is not natively written for iOS/Android. Could even be running under an emulator? Just speculation on my part. There is certainly a huge CPU overhead though.
  • Roller2Roller2 Posts: 20 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    edited March 13
    New day, new version, new chances.
    Although nothing is in the release notes about it, I'm not experiencing any heating so far and also the battery isn't draining..... keeping fingers crossed...
    And - I might be wrong, I haven't used the app for months - The graphics seem more "crisp"...?
    Just to let everyone know I now have an open support case with TomTom about this issue. They say they are "working hard on a solution".
    I'll post any updates I get here.
  • RicoKRicoK Posts: 150 [Supreme Navigator]
    Dave23572 wrote: »
    Just to let everyone know I now have an open support case with TomTom about this issue. They say they are "working hard on a solution".

They are working hard on a solution for many months now...... :'(

Thank you Dave, please keep us posted in this topic. For the record: heating is still happening with the last TT update V2.5, iPhone 12 Pro, iOS 14.4.1. Tested today on a 15 minute drive. Screen dimming after 10 minutes. Then closed TT and phone cooled.
    That's odd Herbe089, as I've just updated my app to v2.5 and so far I haven't had overheating issues since. I know it's too soon to be sure so I'll keep monitoring it but certainly today I took it off the mount after a journey (with no dimming) and it felt cool in my hand. Also I noticed it charging more quickly. They may just have cracked this one!
    edited March 19
    That's odd Herbe089, as I've just updated my app to v2.5 and so far I haven't had overheating issues since. I know it's too soon to be sure so I'll keep monitoring it but certainly today I took it off the mount after a journey (with no dimming) and it felt cool in my hand. Also I noticed it charging more quickly. They may just have cracked this one!
    Ok I will test it more thoroughly over the weekend. Will use my phone away from any heatsources, without charging and no other apps open.
  • JGuthrieJGuthrie Posts: 5 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I am able to confirm that with my XS that two things are occurring:
    1. The phone is getting super hot. It does NOT, I repeat does NOT get hot like this with Apple Maps or Google maps. I have a FLIR, and here you can see heat is located to a specific part of the phone: https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B165p3ichswMZV
    2. I have my phone plugged into a 30 watt car charger and while on there, it does NOT gain a charge, in fact, it went from ~95% to 87% for a 20 minute drive.

My phone is on the latest IOS, and the latest TomTom release.
    edited March 26
    Herbe089 wrote: »
    Ok I will test it more thoroughly over the weekend. Will use my phone away from any heatsources, without charging and no other apps open.

Still the same here as well... no change after the update. Draining the battery 15% in 15 minutes. No charger attached. Very hot and screen dimming after 10 minutes.

Interesting- you also have SE2020 right? Me too and my heating problem has also gone away with v2.5
    Why would this be model dependent?
  • JürgenJürgen Posts: 6,190
    Community Manager
    There is no fix for this in 2.5 and I'm afraid it won't be in the upcoming 2.6 release. All I know is that the app team have spotted the cause but they are still waiting for a fix.
    The odd thing is, some people (including myself) are now reporting the issue as solved in v2.5. Perhaps for some reason it's now only affecting some models?
    I have an iPhone SE2020 and since 2.5 I've had no overheating.
  • JC_AUJC_AU Posts: 17 [Outstanding Explorer]
    That’s fantastic news that they’ve spotted the cause. A shame we’ll have to wait.

Until then the air vent on the back of the phone keeps me going. I recently did a 6,600km trip from Sydney through outback NSW & Queensland using TomTom to guide me the whole way.

Other than it telling me the road from NSW to Qld was closed at the border when it wasn’t (it wanted me to do a 9 hour detour unnecessarily), and an accident between longreach & winton that didn’t exist (a 6 hour detour unnecessarily that I also ignored), it did a good job. Just have to use my own head when it comes to things like that, make sure I don’t just follow it blindly.
    edited April 4
    I used the app now for some longer drives and I can confirm that the heating/battery-drain problem (=excessieve CPU usage) is gone for me - iPhone SE2020.
    Weird that it doesn't for everybody/ all models.
  • JGuthrieJGuthrie Posts: 5 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Oh man, this is still a problem. iPhone IXS running IOS 14.6 and latest TomTom. How can this not be fixed? The attached picture shows my iPhone did NOT charge the whole time I was driving home(section on the right) and it was attached to a 18watt USB-C to lightning charger.

Please fix this already.

nuzob19ssw18.jpg