My iPhone gets very hot while connected - Page 4 — TomTom Community

My iPhone gets very hot while connected

Comments

• yehoudinyehoudin Posts: 412 [Supreme Trailblazer]
    I am based in Frankfurt, Germany. Where and when do we want to meet?
  • RicoKRicoK Posts: 147 [Supreme Navigator]
    Jürgen wrote: »
    My iPhone isn't getting hot during car rides which are typically 230 kilometres single journey.

:o:/ Okay, this is strange, but I am happy for you.

I had it with my iPhone 8 Plus. However, at first I didn't notice because I used it in front of a ventilation grille. Later when I moved it to a different position I experienced the increased temperature, but I thought this could be because, although very strange, the display was constantly on while navigating. And now since I have a car with CarPlay this summer and therefore have my phone, now an iPhone 11 Pro Max, wired and connected with the display switched off, the temperature is extremely high. It does not matter where I put the phone in my car.
  • Roller2Roller2 Posts: 17 [Outstanding Explorer]
    edited December 2020
    Jürgen wrote: »
    My iPhone isn't getting hot during car rides which are typically 230 kilometres single journey.

This is indeed interesting Jürgen!
    As soon as I start the app (no navigation) my SE2020 immediately starts to heat up and you can really feel it getting warm on the backside within seconds. Battery starts draining at about 1% per minute. Clearly, the Go app uses 100% CPU all the time for some reason.

Now, the SE2020 is off course a thin model, with a small battery, lesser CPU (?) and I don't use a protective cover. So I believe the effects are quickly and clearly to be seen on these smaller, cheaper models and the way I use it. My wife has an iPhone 11 which is a warship compared to my phone in weight, battery life etc. It's also significant if it's warm weather or cold. In the summer with outside temps over 25deg the iPhone gets so hot you can't touch it and sometimes shuts down. Now, in the winter, the heating is clearly a lesser problem, but the battery still goes like the fire department ;)

Could this explain the difference in experiences of TomTom Go users?

In any case, this issue does not show up when using Waze, Apple Maps or Google Maps on the SE2020. If I have an 80KM drive, about an hour, those apps will drain my battery about 10-15%. This is ok and saves me the trouble of hooking it up in my (old) car. With TomTom, it drains 60-70%. And I can leave the heating off, actually to protect my phone in the summer, I need to place it on the vent and have cold air cooling the phone. I'm not joking.

Edit: I see @RicoK above having the issue with an iPhone 11 Pro Max so there goes my theory.

There’s even some heating when using the app on a «loose» iPhone. I have a real big problem once it is connected via cable. Even when using Apple CarPlay, where the iPhone screen rest turned off it will heat up. This summer I had the iPhone connected like this, not behind the wind screen in the sun but somewhere near the gearshift, once I wanted to take a photo the telephone shut down due to overheating.
    Hmm, it gets weirder and weirder ....

I was under the impression that every iPhone user would suffer from a hot phone when using the TomTom Go App, but there was @Jürgen who would not have a hot phone, but there were yesterday at the CarPlay Forum in the Dutch Gathering of Tweakers (Tweakers.net) anyway two users of the TomTom Go App who do NOT have a hot phone.

From this I conclude that it differs per user and therefore per telephone. And that it can therefore be a difficult issue for TomTom to reproduce.

Because my phone, an iPhone 11 Pro Max, does get very hot and hardly charges while it is connected to the cable in the car, this is really a reason for me not to renew my subscription expiring in March 2020.
    Are there any kind of logfiles that could be helpful? Could Tom Tom raise the loglevel for individual users?

Fun fact: I am on iOS 14.2 since early November. Tuesday morning my phone would heat up just for checking emails and rapidly dropping battery. The battery statistic showed clearly that I used my iPhone only half of what I used it on Monday, but the battery consumption was twice as Monday. I called Apple. They agreed with the problem and suggested restore restore iOS, I guess it’s called recovery mode or something, and I forced to “update” from 14.2 to 14.2. The problem disappeared.
  • Mike_LeutyMike_Leuty Posts: 1 [New Seeker]
    As my Android phone and TomTom satnav were both nearing end of life, I bought an iPhone 11 Pro Max in July to run the TomTom GO app. Unfortunately the phone suffered from the heating problem, starting to warm up appreciably a few minutes after the app was loaded. However with version 2.4 the heating problem has gone away. At last I am able to use the app with CarPlay, and it works very well. It was worth the five-month wait!
  • exupperexupper Posts: 3 [Neophyte Traveler]
    I’m still suffering heavy heating problems with version 2.4.1 on an iPhone 11 Pro Max. My previous iPhone X had the display coming out due to overheat. Can we get the issue solved?
    exupper wrote: »
    I’m still suffering heavy heating problems with version 2.4.1 on an iPhone 11 Pro Max. My previous iPhone X had the display coming out due to overheat. Can we get the issue solved?

Me too! 'When' I use, because at the moment I am a Happy Wazer due to this heating-problem, TomTom on my iPhone 11 Pro Max it is still getting (over-)heated.

In the meanwhile I have found out that not every user of an iPhone has the same experiences. However, my former iPhone 8 Plus and now my 11 Pro Max are heated up.
    Today I started planning a route with my iPhone not connected to anything. After starting navigation I connected it to CarPlay with a cable. Ignored ignored the prompt asking me if I was driving as the map was already shown on the car display. I cannot edit this text with my iPhone without getting crazy, sorry for ignoring ignored. I wanted to say I ignored. Almost impossible to please the cursor there
    Anyway: The iPhone did not get hot. On the way back I planned a route with the iPhone already connected and on a short drive for 30 minutes in the cold alps The phone became pretty warm.
  • JC_AUJC_AU Posts: 16 [Outstanding Explorer]
    I hadn’t noticed the overheating as my phone cradle holds the phone directly in front of the aircon vents. Then I tried a different cradle that holds the phone elsewhere, and within 30 minutes the phone was dropping screen brightness to cool down, eventually so it was so dark I couldn’t see it.

I’ve had to go back to the previous cradle to keep my phone cool enough (from having the aircon blowing directly on to it) to be able to keep using the TomTom app.

The phone is an iPhone 11 Pro Max. I always keep it running the latest iOS and apps updated.
    @JC_AU I have exactly the same experience. About a few years ago I drove my car with my phone also mounted in front of a vent and didn’t notice the over-heating. When I changed my car I also had to find another way of mounting my phone which was unfortunately not in front of a vent anymore and from that moment I noticed the over-heating. It’s really terrible.
    For that reason and more (see my other posts...) I use Waze now for about 6 or 7 months. And I must say I am a happy wazer.
    My subscription ends next month, so Tomtom has a couple of weeks to solve all the issues. At the moment I do not extend my subscription. Unfortunately....

Btw, my current phone is also an iPhone 11 Pro Max, my phone before was an iPhone 8 Plus with exactly the same heating-issues.
    It doesn’t happen often, but it does happen often enough that I need it. I don’t always start trips in places where I have mobile reception. And if I’m starting without mobile reception there’s a 95% chance I need guidance before I get back in to mobile range. So I need offline maps.

I believe Waze, Google Maps, Apple Maps etc needs a mobile connection at the start to be able to handle navigation when you’re out of mobile range.

Offline maps, and my being a TomTom GPS user prior to them even releasing an app for iOS (so being familiar & comfortable with the navigation provided) is why I still use the iOS app.
    JC_AU wrote: »
    I believe Waze, Google Maps, Apple Maps etc needs a mobile connection at the start to be able to handle navigation when you’re out of mobile range.

Offline maps, and my being a TomTom GPS user prior to them even releasing an app for iOS (so being familiar & comfortable with the navigation provided) is why I still use the iOS app.

True, that’s an advantage of using TT. However as far as I know/understand the data usage isn’t that much. However, for this reason I increased my mobile subscription to 15GB data per month which is much, to much ;).

edited January 31
    Data usage isn't the concern here though. Not in my scenarios anyway. Reception is.
  • Feckweed405Feckweed405 Posts: 30 [Legendary Explorer]
    I find that my SE 2020 is almost too hot to touch when I navigate off the phone itself but it’s only just warm if I use CarPlay. That said, no other navigation apps seem to do this.
    edited February 2
    Because at least one person said they didn't have this problem, I decided to remove the app from my phone and do a clean install.

Downloaded maps for all Australia regions + Ferry Connections.

The 20 minute drive to work this morning with the GPS going and podcasts playing left the phone warm. I use the phone directly with audio over BT, don't have carplay. I won't do a longer drive until this weekend, but I'll make sure I point the vents away from it to see what happens.
  • PrivateerUKPrivateerUK Posts: 374 [Supreme Pioneer]
    Has anybody tried TomTom's iOS AmiGO? If so, does AmiGO heat up your iPhone as much as GO Mobile?
    It was a much cooler day than the last time I went out for a long drive. The phone dimmed a bit but didn't go dark.

I did have some brand new issues after the re-install that I've never seen before. When out of mobile reception the app kept locking up. I missed a turn due to this. It didn't do this before the re-install.
    WOW, OMG!!! (Still) NOT GOOD!!!

Yesterday I was traveling bij using Waze (of course....), but since I was curious of the heating problems and if these are probably solved after such a log time, I decided to use TomTom Go on my way back. Really out of the sudden after seconds my iPhone 11 Pro Max started heating up so badly I killed TomTom Go and went back with Waze.

Tomtom, what is going on?!??! SOLVE IT!!!!!!
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 7,201
    Superuser
    edited February 14
    Hi @RicoK

This issue has not appeared on my iPhone 12 mini which has only got slightly warm in use so far.

Doug
    edited February 14
    @DougLap I know. Very strange.

Where have you positioned your iPhone? In front of a ventilation opening? A couple of years ago I didn't notice it, because of the positioning of my iPhone.
    for off-line mobile navigation: does someone have any experiences here with Sygic or Scout GPS? These systems offer off-line maps: if someone here tried these, do they heat up the phone as well?
    @yehoudin I only have experiences with off-line TomTom and on-line Apple - and Google Maps and Waze. Using (on-line) Google, Apple and Waze results in a very cool iPhone.

This having said, could this probably be the issue which results in an (over)heated iPhone?? TomTom Go can only be used with off-line maps. When TT switches to on-line maps would the iPhone stay cool.
  • sjorgesjorge Posts: 3 [Apprentice Seeker]
    yehoudin wrote: »
    for off-line mobile navigation: does someone have any experiences here with Sygic or Scout GPS? These systems offer off-line maps: if someone here tried these, do they heat up the phone as well?

I have both TomTom and Sygic, TT will drain my battery 20+ % and get very hot while Sygic manages to even allow my phone to gain charge when plugged in and stay cool.

Although sytic is adequate, I really don’t enjoy using it and depending on my charge state I’d mostly go with TT and the battery hit.