My iPhone gets very hot while connected - Page 3 — TomTom Community

My iPhone gets very hot while connected

13»

Comments

• RicoKRicoK Posts: 114 [Supreme Trailblazer]
    @palajaja I totally understand what you mean, because I have exactly the same experience with the iPhone getting very hot for which reason I have been using Waze for several months now while waiting for TomTom's solution. However, I would have used a different word choice....
    There are now so many alternatives that TomTom cannot ignore. I don't understand TomTom's attitude either.
    Come on, TomTom, let's hear from you. It has been very quiet for a very long time ....
  • Gadgetman-1980Gadgetman-1980 Posts: 1 [New Traveler]
    Nearly November now. Iphone 12 pro has a high temperature when using tomtom connected to car play all fine when using apple maps or Google or Evan waze. Hurry up tomtom months of this now
  • Feckweed405Feckweed405 Posts: 22 [Master Explorer]
    My iPhone SE 2020 is still heating up, I still get that subscription dialogue when I try to use CarPlay, and there still is no microphone-based search in CarPlay making the app essentially useless while driving unless you bookmark all of your potential places you would ever go. For a premium service I really hope that these get fixed quickly.
    @Feckweed405 Please, see my post https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1125635/tomtom-go-with-apple-carplay-what-is-missing#latest

Since it is a while ago and TomTom doesn't respond I am very afraid this will take a while longer.
    For the time being I am a happy Waze user which is a free app. However, I am also a TomTom user for many years and I do like their navigation. However, my subscriptions ends in March 2021 and when TomTom hasn't solved the issues I am afraid I will definitely leave TomTom.
  • Feckweed405Feckweed405 Posts: 22 [Master Explorer]
    Thanks for the link RicoK! I too won’t renew my subscription unless these key things are fixed. Let’s hope very soon!!
    You're welcome @Feckweed405 !

I think it's such a shame that TomTom is so silent. Absolutely no Moderator, Superuser or anyone else responds anymore.

By the way, I had a small issue with Waze, the navigation on a roundabout in my city was not complete, but the communication with Waze is extremely smooth. Directly via the app and in your own language.
  • JGuthrieJGuthrie Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    @lampard & @Jürgen any updates? this is still a problem and yeah, I’ve confirmed using the app below to confirm that CPU is NOT pegged on my XS.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/system-status-pro-hw-monitor/id401457165
  • yehoudinyehoudin Posts: 403 [Supreme Trailblazer]
    I guess this app is not TomToms main business. Seen the slow and little improvements on the app, that haven’t been faster or bigger in the past ten years, I guess they don’t care. As long as users believe in TomTom traffic information solutions (live traffic and historic statistics on traffic ( iq traffic )) they will stick here.
  • JGuthrieJGuthrie Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I just got a response via the Apple App Store feedback that the iPhone XS heat issue is because of OLED. Sorry but that does not do it. As others have said, Google Maps, Apple Maps, Waze and others do not have this same heat issue.
  • FixitwellFixitwell Posts: 4 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Here also a long time user of the Tomtom navigation equipment. Recently upgraded my the Tomtom NB1 system in my Mazda cx5 to a Carplay radio system with the expectiation to be able to run TomtomGo on my Iphone SE 2020. Very disappointed indeed to notice that the phone is so much overheating that the Tomtom Go system is not usable at all. Paid for a user license till March 2021 and not able to use the system at all. As indicated above all other navigation apps like Waze, Apple Maps and Google maps work excelent. Iphone is connected by wire to the radio with carplay and the phone is charging nicely. Even have a nav-app and Spotify music running at the same time and the Iphone SE does not get warm at all. Only when TomtomGo is started I start loosing my battery quickly and the phone gets very hot. It goes without saying that I will not renew my license in March if this does not get fixed. Pity since Tomtom was always my favorite navsystem.
    Does anyone here know for sure that this problem does not occur with other navigation apps that run CarPlay? Waze for example, as it uses parts of TomTom environment?
  • FixitwellFixitwell Posts: 4 [Apprentice Traveler]
    yehoudin wrote: »
    Does anyone here know for sure that this problem does not occur with other navigation apps that run CarPlay? Waze for example, as it uses parts of TomTom environment?

Yes absolutely. Read my post of November 21. Waze does not heat up the phone and I've done trips exceeding 3 hours using Waze without my Iphone SE 2020 getting warm. After such a trip the Iphone is fully charged and not warm at all. Hope TT will be able to provide the same.
    yehoudin wrote: »

Yes, absolutely, 100% sure, Waze is heating the iPhone and besides when using Waze the iPhone is charging much much faster.

Tomtom unfortunately remains silent despite all the promises long ago that they are working on it etc etc.
    I just installed Waze, there are no off-line maps.
    Anyone compared if the iPhone heats up more when using tom-tom than using another navigation app with off-line maps?
    @yehoudin I understand what you mean, but since it is no deal-breaker for me using online maps I am a happy Waze user at the moment. I think using online maps has one big advantage. You have always the latest map version! This, because you don't have to download them first ;)

And, again, together with Google and Apple Maps, Waze does not result in a hot phone. The iPhone remains very cool.

Well, first of all I try to understand of the problem. If handling and calculating routes on off-line stored maps consumes more CPU power compared to what happens if you use online maps, maybe there’s not much Tom Tom could or knows to do about it.
    if you live in an area with good 4G or better connection, and data consumption is affordable, online routing is a cool thing. Unfortunately here in Germany you don’t always have 4G.
    Anyone here who can report if the heating problem occurs with CoPilot or Sygic?
  • __Peter____Peter__ Posts: 1 [New Seeker]
    Today got my iPhone 12 mini and tried TomTom on it. Just at home, downloaded some maps and calculated some short routes. The phone got uncomfortable hot. iPhone XR not so. I cancelled my subscription. I only used TomTom for speeding camera’s and addressees unknown to my car nav. But as I don’t drive that much anymore, no commute because of home work instead of office. I decided they don’t need my money.

My go to offline free nav which does not heat up the phone is good’ol Nokia Here Maps. Free and offline maps.
    @__Peter__ It is not very strange a phone gets heated when downloading and installing apps. Have you tested TomTom GO on your iPhone 12 on the go, when navigating? Because the hot phones mentioned here have arisen during navigating.
  • nigelbbbnigelbbb Posts: 30 [Legendary Explorer]
    I remember the original TomTom Navigator app from over 10 years ago. My iPhone 3GS got really hot & at times even charging from a the cigarette lighter couldn't keep up so the battery would run down as you were driving along!