My iPhone gets very hot while connected - Page 2 — TomTom Community

My iPhone gets very hot while connected

Comments

• Dave23572Dave23572 Posts: 9 [Master Explorer]
    No it's not CarPlay as I just use my iPhone on it's own on a mount without CarPlay.

Today the screen dimmed (due to overheating) within a few minutes of use. I then switched to Google Maps for my return journey and even in use it allowed the phone to cool enough to get full brightness back.

Personally I doubt we'll get a fix for this. It's probably a fundamental problem with the software. Imay actually call TomTom though and raise it.
  • JürgenJürgen Posts: 5,709
    Community Manager
    Yes, we are looking into this, testing different scenarios.
    Ah that's good news.
    Was the app written natively for iOS/Android or ported from your hardware SatNavs or even running under an emulator? That would certainly add CPU overhead.
  • PrivateerUKPrivateerUK Posts: 370 [Supreme Pioneer]
    Hi @Dave23572,

I think that TomTom has written its apps/software to run under an emulator so that Android, iOS, and PNDs all look similar and function similarly (where hardware and OS allows).

Hopefully, somebody can confirm or deny the above and if they confirm it then also let us know the name of the components for future reference.

Regards,
  • JürgenJürgen Posts: 5,709
    Community Manager
    The app was written natively for iOS.
  • PrivateerUKPrivateerUK Posts: 370 [Supreme Pioneer]
    Hi @Jürgen,

Thanks for putting me right. :)

As TomTom GO Navigation iOS was written natively for iOS, why does it not have some of the features that the old legacy TomTom Navigator v1.29 app has:
    1. Display not so easy to read (red on black).
    2. Screen display switches between distance and time to go. We need both information at all times.
    3. Uses fractions instead of easier to read decimals when set to miles – when set to km miraculously get decimals.
    4. Next instruction isn’t shown until with 2 miles, it needs to be shown all the time and count down, even if initially over 99 miles/km away.
    5. No advance planning where you can set the day or time.
    6. Right hand info bar is useless and configuration options almost non-existent.
    7. 3D maps are annoying, too large in size.
    8. Cannot report map problems or mark a road as closed for SatNav to take into account.
    9. No POIs show on the route. No MyDrive support. More importantly, Custom POIs are not supported, we need them to show on map and navigation screens.
    10. Partial URL Scheme, the app can start SatNav or use a URL in an email to start the app with coordinates, but not a destination name.

Regards,
    edited August 5
    I do actually agree with a lot of those feature suggestions (2 & 8 particularly) but can I suggest you make a separate topic for those feature requests as we don't want to to distract attention from the topic of this thread, the overheating issue.

You are right though, there are some features missing from the older SatNavs.
    Such as "add favourite by current location".
    I'd also like to be able to see current GPS coordinates and also the GPS coordinates of favourites (My Places) and to be able to declare traffic jams. I may post a topic asking for these.

I have been testing an alternative navigation App: Colpilot.
    Seems pretty good though as with all nav apps there are some things I'd like to change.
    It doesn't overheat the phone though which means at least the display doesn't dim to the point you can't see it. I've tested TomTom Go, Waze, Google Maps and now Copilot. Only TomTom Go overheats the phone.
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 6,595
    Superuser
    Hi @Dave23572

Re "Such as "add favourite by current location"." is this what you want.

If you Tap the Blue Arrow you get the options to Avoid Blocked Road and Report a speed camera.

If you Press the Blue Arrow for a second or so you then see a BlackSpot with a + in it then a box with the address of the position and 3 vertical dots. If you Tap the 3 dots one of the 4 options enables you to add the position to My Places.

Doug
  • yehoudinyehoudin Posts: 403 [Supreme Trailblazer]
    Roller2 wrote: »
    Ok, I just did an hour’s drive on battery with version 2.3. To my surprise it performed very well, did not get hot and battery drained from 86% to 72% which is ok for iPhone SE 2020s small battery and display continuously on for an hour. When I use the menus of the app, it does get hot quickly, so it’s not completely gone.

It would be nice if TomTom could let us know if something changed in V2.3, there is nothing in the release notes.

I’ll keep testing...

Apparently the phone will still heat up. I had the same experience with iPhone SEII without cable connection.
    First, i thought with V2.3 we would get rid of the problem as i believed the cpu demanding calculations would be done on TT servers so we would have more datatraffic and less cpu usage.
    As others report that the phone still heats up in V2.3 (menu->services->online routing enabled??) i believe the problem is either that continous battery loading and using or the way TT uses the gps device??
    I always use my iPhone (SE2) plugged in to power source when using TomTom Go, otherwise the battery runs down so quickly. It heats up whether plugged in or not.
  • LittlebluesmurfLittlebluesmurf Posts: 6 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I have the same exact issue with an iPhone XR. I am right now at home and planning a route and the phone is very hot. When in the car, I connect it to the car via Bluetooth and for power to a high-powered adapter in the 12v socket. My car’s USB 1.0 (or 2.0) stopped being able to charge my phones as soon as screens became bigger (iPhone 6 > XR). I do not have or use AirPlay in my car. The TomTom Go (app) battery usage is so high and intense that even the high-powered adapter in car struggles to charge the phone, trickle charging it very slowly - this was not the case in the recent past with the previous versions of TomTom. I prefer the new app design but this battery drain and heat is not welcome.
    Even running TomTom at home like right now when I am planning a long 800mile route, the phone has gotten really hot and the battery level has dropped so rapidly. Even a high-powered home charger is struggling right now to charge my iphone with TomTom running in the background, I am not sure whether it is any warmer with the route in progress or not, it does not seem to make a difference.
  • TpDay79TpDay79 Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    iPhone SE mkI. Gets hot as soon as TT app is started whether standalone (to check route beforehand), or connected to power in car to navigate. No phone cover (but screen protector) and has always chomped battery power.
  • Roller2Roller2 Posts: 13 [Master Explorer]
    yehoudin wrote: »
    Roller2 wrote: »
    Ok, I just did an hour’s drive on battery with version 2.3. To my surprise it performed very well, did not get hot and battery drained from 86% to 72% which is ok for iPhone SE 2020s small battery and display continuously on for an hour. When I use the menus of the app, it does get hot quickly, so it’s not completely gone.

It would be nice if TomTom could let us know if something changed in V2.3, there is nothing in the release notes.

I’ll keep testing...

Apparently the phone will still heat up. I had the same experience with iPhone SEII without cable connection.
    First, i thought with V2.3 we would get rid of the problem as i believed the cpu demanding calculations would be done on TT servers so we would have more datatraffic and less cpu usage.
    As others report that the phone still heats up in V2.3 (menu->services->online routing enabled??) i believe the problem is either that continous battery loading and using or the way TT uses the gps device??

Yes, I can confirm the problem is very much still there.
    I don't think it has something to do with navigation, even if there is no route active and you just start the app, you can feel the backside of the iphone heat up in seconds. Especially with the thin SE2020.
    It must be something very fundamental otherwise TomTom would have responded and/or fixed this by now.
  • Beltane63Beltane63 Posts: 1 [New Traveler]
    My IPhone 11 Pro Max gets hot when I’m using this App. sometimes it even shuts down! Even plugged in a charger the phone is losing charge even during a short navigation. There are threads about this problem in forums and complaints in the Apple App-Store. And TomTom doesn’t respond in any way. I cancelled my subscription and deleted the App. I’m sorry about this, in my opinion TomTom delivered the best App for navigation but now it’s useless to me.
  • RicoKRicoK Posts: 114 [Supreme Trailblazer]
    @Beltane63 I have also an iPhone 11 Pro Max and my phone gets also really hot. Not that hot it shuts itself down, but really hot. Due to this my phone charges very very slow. For this reason (and many many others) I am using Waze now for a couple of weeks and I am pleasantly surprised. It is working very very fine. I can recommend Waze. It works also very fine with Apple's CarPlay.
    My subscription ends somewhere in Q1 of next year which gives TomTom some extra time, but when my subscription would have end today or soon I definitely would have stopped it!

So, TomTom, please, take some action and/or inform us like I mentioned in my post on August 31 (https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1722991#Comment_1722991)
  • OlaronOlaron Posts: 0 [Apprentice Seeker]
    hello, my iphone gets very hot using tomtom go on an Iphone XS, eventually the light intensity strongly dims can you help?
  • exupperexupper Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I have the same problem... I would say more: after a couple of “too high temperature” warnings, the screen of my iPhone X came out from the frame. Apple store diagnosis: battery changed volume due to overheating.
    Got a new iPhone 11 Pro Max, this one gets hot too (only with Tomtom GO, as reported by others) so I will not use anymore tomtom until I will understand that this severe problem has been sorted out.
    Will Tomtom reimburse me for the damage?
  • Feckweed405Feckweed405 Posts: 22 [Master Explorer]
    Same here with iPhone SE 2. The phone is almost too hot to touch after using tomtom for an hour trip. Happens with CarPlay too but maybe a little less. Does not happen nearly as much with Apple or Google maps with or without CarPlay.
  • Feckweed405Feckweed405 Posts: 22 [Master Explorer]
    Newest iOS 14 (21 September 2020) update still getting hot with Apple CarPlay and the warning box asking about a subscription still comes for a good 30 seconds on start on CarPlay.
  • attaxiaattaxia Posts: 2 [New Traveler]
    Same problem here. Seems like it runs at 100% CPU since when this happens sometimes even Spotify starts stuttering and the map display gets laggy.

The only way to fix is to force quite the TomTom app and restart. This is not ideal to do while driving.
  • iMiegiMieg Posts: 1 [New Traveler]
    Same issue with overheating on my iPhone 11 running iOS 14 and latest version of TT Go app. I use CarPlay exclusively and do not notice any temperature rises when using Apple maps or Flitsmeister. The iPhone gets so hot that I can use it as an iron and remove the wrinkles out of my shirts... Unfortunately I have not been able to use TT Go since the troubles started. :'(
  • RicoKRicoK Posts: 114 [Supreme Trailblazer]
    Regarding the extreme heating op my 11 Pro Max I am using Waze for a couple of weeks/months now resulting in an iPhone which stays cold. My subscription for TomTom ends somewhere early next year. So it gives TT some time to find a solution..... No, just kidding, it is realy ridiculous, TT is mentioning for months now they are working on a solution, but until now, it is very, very quit.

So, come on TomTom, get this done! (Together with the list of shortages with Apple CarPlay...)

Sorry for my negativity, but that's how I really feel about it now. :'(
  • drabelinkdrabelink Posts: 12 [Master Explorer]
    edited September 28
    Well, it is not only on IOS.

On all Android phones I previously owned for years and also now using my Samsung S20 phone, TomTom overheats them up to the point the charger disables and after a while, the phone actually powers off to save itself for damage.

I complained about this already for years, and others also.

When I got the latest version I was hoping this would be resolved.

But no. Still overheating. And why I would say.
    If my old HTC or S7 can run TomTom with good performance (but overheating), surely my new S20 would be able to get the performance without overheating.

It seems the app draws 100% of everything, even when not needed.

I guess if I force the CPU to only give 50% to TomTom, it will run fine and will do this without enabling the cooking plate.
  • DunceantixDunceantix Posts: 7 [Apprentice Traveler]
    It's now 4 months since this was confirmed to be under investigation by TomTom. Is there any update at all? I know Covid has put a spanner in a lot of things, but just wondering if development is still activly going ahead at the moment?
  • palajajapalajaja Posts: 2 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Just buy their items, pay a lot, and shut up :D . When I wanna make fried eggs I use TomTom and Iphone. Start the navigation wait 3 minutes, the phone is hot, put some eggs and wait. Bon appetit. You are a bunch of irresponsable loosers at TomTom. Let's say someone's phone won't start again because an overheating issue while using the navigation software you provide, do you pay compensation? No. Your products, your software are full of bugs and we have a LOT of alternatives. Get lost.