My iPhone gets very hot while connected — TomTom Community

My iPhone gets very hot while connected

Geoff1256Geoff1256 Posts: 5 [Apprentice Traveler]
When I plug my iPhone 11 Pro into CarPlay the phone gets very hot. I have a wolkswagen Tiguan 2019 model with premium sound.

Answers

• lampardlampard Posts: 4,639 TomTom Moderator
    Hi @Geoff1256

Welcome to the Community! Thank you for your feedback with the car details and phone model, I'll pass this to our team.

Regards, lampard
  • PrivateerUKPrivateerUK Posts: 361 [Supreme Pioneer]
    Hi @Geoff1256

Does your iPhone 11 Pro get so hot that it displays a message: "Temperature. iPhone needs to cool down before you can use it"

Does your iPhone 11 Pro get warm if not using CarPlay? I.e. if you're using standard TomTom on your iPhone 11 Pro?

Where are you storing/placing your iPhone 11 Pro when using CarPlay?

Do you have a case on your iPhone 11 Pro?

I don't use CarPlay (have no ICE that has CarPlay). How do you connect the iPhone 11 Pro to CarPlay? Do you use Bluetooth or cable? Try Bluetooth instead of cable or vice-versa. Try a different cable.

If you have a case on your phone, try taking the case off to allow heat to disperse. Don't place your phone in the windscreen or dashboard, try a cooler place.
  • Geoff1256Geoff1256 Posts: 5 [Apprentice Traveler]
    The overheating only occurs when I use TomTom navigation app. If I use Apple maps the phone does not overheat.
    You've tested using Apple maps for the same time period as TomTom Navigation?

Does this happen when using TomTom Navigation solo, i.e. without CarPlay or just using CarPlay?

How do you connect TomTom Navigation to CarPlay?
    Heating occurs when app is running without being connected to car but not to the same extent. I have used both Apple and TomTom apps on my commute to work and back. (Not both at the same time)
    edited March 4
    Geoff1256 wrote: »
    when app is running without being connected to car
    Does this mean CarPlay or not CarPlay?

Are you running the iPhone:
    1. With a power cable to a USB port
    2. With a power cable to a cigarette plug (and USB adaptor)
    3. With a power cable to a power battery pack
    4. Just on its battery?
    iPhone is connected to CarPlay via a USB cable. CarPlay will not operate without USB cable connection from iPhone to inbuilt car USB port.
    Does this (over heating) happen when using TomTom Navigation solo, i.e. without CarPlay or just using CarPlay?

The over heating happens with both. If not connect to carplay is does not get has hot.
    Hi @Geoff1256

Does your iPhone 11 Pro overheat in any other circumstances?

Do you have an older iPhone that you can try to use with CarPlay and see if that overheats as well?

Are you using a genuine Apple iPhone cable to connect the iPhone to the car's USB socket for CarPlay?

I suggest that when you're using CarPlay, remove the iPhone's case, place the iPhone in a safe and secure position away from the sun and any other heat sources, and use a genuine Apple iPhone cable.

When you're not using CarPlay (just TomTom on your iPhone) then use a genuine Apple iPhone cable and plug it into the cigarette plug using a known brand of cigarette plug USB adaptor.

Possibilities of fault (that I can think of) are:
    1. Faulty iPhone
    2. Faulty power/data cable
    3. USB plug, in the car
    4. Phone case
    5. Location of the phone in close proximity of a heat source

Regards,
  • DeftoneDeftone Posts: 1 [New Traveler]
    Hallo all,

I have the same problem as Geoff1256. My iPhone gets very hot when using TomTom Go.. This only happens when using TomTom as navigation. With Waze or Apple Maps or even Google Maps the iPhone didn’t get so hot ....
  • AdamHughesAdamHughes Posts: 1 [New Seeker]
    I have the exact same issue with the latest release of Tom Tom GO. I can confirm that whilst my phone got hot previously, it now gets so hot within 1.5 hours that the phone turns off due to overheating.

The issue does not happen with Apple maps (I have not yet tried any other solution).

I'm using an iPhone 11 Pro (up top date with all updates).
    No case.
    Connected to CarPlay stereo via USB cable.

The overheating only happens when Tom To is used, there is no overheating with any other app, so there is no faulty cable, stereo, phone or hot position in the vehicle (VW Transporter), the fault has to be with Tom Tom GO.

It is repeatable , simply by using Tom Tom GO you can feel the heat difference within 25 minutes and the longest I have got so far is 1.5 hours before shutdown.

I have the following maps downloaded in Tom Tom GO :-1: Belgium, Denmark, Ferry Connections Europe, France, Germany, Great Britain and Ireland, Netherlands. The active one is Great Britain and Ireland.

The maps were not up to date, so I have updated those tonight and will test the heat tomorrow on drive to work (only 30 minutes, but you can usually feel the increase in heat already by then)
  • rob.morabitorob.morabito Posts: 13 [Legendary Explorer]
    I have an iPhone XS, that become very hot whenever I use TomTom, even exploring a map while I am at home. Therefore it seems that TT software is overloading CPU or something else, also without CarPlay connection
  • RicoKRicoK Posts: 55 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    Yes, I can join this. Since a week now I use CarPlay and I indeed notice that my iPhone 11 Pro Max in combination with TomTom Go gets very warm, almost hot. Both the iPhone and the TT App have the latest updates.
    Previously, I navigated on my phone with my phone clamped in a holder for a ventilation grille. The iPhone did not really get warmer (but it did).
    Now in my current car that I have now for more than a week, I unfortunately have no place to hang the iPhone in front of a ventilation grille, so the phone is lying on/in the center console.
  • lampardlampard Posts: 4,639 TomTom Moderator
    Hi All,

This is already being investigated. I'll post back here once I know more.

Regards, lampard