update my Rider device — TomTom Community

update my Rider device

MaxsdadMaxsdad Posts: 4 [Apprentice Traveler]
edited March 3 in RIDER
I have exactly the same problem. TomTom keep asking me if I want to update my "Rider". Well if I can't use this device to navigate me from Yorkshire to Spain (as I did when I first bought it) why would I stick with them? This is obviously a wide spread problem so why isn't it being fixed?

Comments

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 5,532
    Superuser
    Hi @Maxsdad

This issue is peculiar to the devices with limited memory ability. and have no facility to add extra memory to them. Since your device was put on the market the maps have got bigger as more roads and developments are built which presumably you would want included on any map you have. In your case the only solution is to create Mapzones which means that someone in Spain cannot now get to the UK.

Most TT units supplied since yours was issued have more internal memory and or the facility to add extra memory up to as much as 32gb so for most this is not a problem.

Doug.
  • MaxsdadMaxsdad Posts: 4 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Hi Doug
    That sounds like a very rational explanation. However (there always seems to be one of those doesn't there). The TomTom update system tells me I definitely have sufficient space to download "Southwest Europe" and says that includes UK and Spain. I download it and hey presto - no UK. Spain, France, Andorra etc, but definitely no UK. So back to downloading "Western Europe" with UK and no Spain. Also back to looking at Garmin units for my next trip abroad (no hurry at present obviously).
    Superuser
    edited March 21
    Hi @Maxsdad

Unless someone else can help lets see what @VikramK has to say about this. Have a look back here Monday.

South West Europe on a recent post he did appeasr to show as including UK and Spain and even Portugal in green.

https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1660206/#Comment_1660206.

Doug
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 9,886 Moderator
    Hi @DougLap

Its a RIDER Nav2 serial number starting K4 so the exact map zone map may not apply as for the Nav4 and above devices.

Hi @Maxsdad

Welcome to the community!

I have activated a different map cut for your device. Try installing that on the internal memory of the device using TomTom HOME.

Regards
    Vikram
    Well, it gives me UK and Spain on my device but no ability to ride to a postcode, so not a lot of use. I'll go back to the Western Europe Mapping I had. At least it gives me functionality in this country.
    Superuser
    edited March 23
    Hi @Maxsdad

Are you inputting Postcode without a gap in it? If not then try with no gap.

Doug
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 17,059
    Superusers
    edited March 24
    Hi
    @Maxsdad

As far I recall... On the NAV2 devices the Postcodes are in a separate file to install/update using Tomtom Home....

ATB YFM
    OK, thanks for the advice. Found the Postcodes file, so have that facility again.
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 17,059
    Superusers
    Hi
    @Maxsdad
    You're welcome, glad you're sorted :)

ATB YFM