Rider 550 not connecting to Bluetooth or downloading recently purchased map — TomTom Community

Rider 550 not connecting to Bluetooth or downloading recently purchased map

HobbesHobbes Posts: 4 [Apprentice Traveler]
My rider 550 is doing my head in, I've purchased a map of the US and installed a memory card yet when I try to down load the map with the satnav on wifi and plugged into a charger it says oops something went wrong try again later, this has been going on for 5 days. If I try to connect to my drive it won't even though the rider says it's connected my computer says no device connected, wish I'd never bought the kin thing, should've just bought a phone holder for my bike and used google

Best Answer

Answers

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 17,062
    Superusers
    edited February 29
    Hi
    @Hobbes

There's was NO need to have purchased a map of the USA the Rider 550 comes with Free Lifetime Worldwide Maps, TomTom Traffic and Services....
    See... https://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/sat-nav/motorcycle-sat-nav/products/rider-550/

The Rider 550 is a NAV5 (Wifi) Device and normally updates over Wi-Fi
    If Wi-Fi is not available or is slow/unstable/unreliable....
    See Option (2) in the link below... Connect over USB....
    See... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1695071/#Comment_1695071

ATB YFM
  • ST1300_PanEuropeanST1300_PanEuropean Posts: 80 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    edited February 29
    Hi Hobbes:

Welcome to the forum community.

Here's a bit of info, from my own recent experience as a new user of a Rider 550, that might help you solve your problems.

The Rider 550 is not designed to be connected to a computer. TomTom has a unique and quite clever (once you figure it out) way of updating the Rider 550, and also of enabling you to download waypoints and routes to the Rider 550.

You need to start by creating an account at TomTom. You do this on your computer's web browser. Go to the website https://mydrive.tomtom.com/ and sign up for an account there. It's possible that you might have already done that during the process of signing up to use this forum.

Next, you need to connect your Rider 550 to a Wi-Fi network. You do this directly from the Rider 550 - it doesn't involve your computer at all. Basically, you are connecting your Rider 550 to your home Wi-Fi source, same way you would connect your smartphone or a visiting friend's laptop to your home Wi-Fi source.

Once you have done that, you "sign in" to your TomTom MyDrive account on the GPS device itself. You only have to ever do this once. As soon as you have signed the Rider 550 in to your MyDrive account, it will offer to download the latest maps, software, speed camera stuff, and whatever else is offered in the market that you purchased your device.

Now, if you want to create a route (a fancy route, for example), use your web browser on your computer to go to the https://mydrive.tomtom.com/ website, and create your route there.

If your Rider 550 is still connected to Wi-Fi (independently of your computer), the route you created on the MyDrive website will be downloaded by your Rider 550 and available for your use.

When you first start to use the Rider 550 on day 1, it's a little hard to wrap your head around how the system works, but once you grasp the concepts, it all makes sense and it all works quite well.

The training videos that @YamFazMan linked to in his post above explain this quite well. Be aware that TomTom has quite a library of very useful training videos on YouTube, here is a link to the whole library: TomTom Training Videos.

Lastly, if you are using an iPhone with Apple's iOS 13.x (the very newest iPhone operating system), be aware that there is currently a problem connecting iPhones to the Rider 550, so that you can see SMS messages and incoming calls on the GPS display. This problem does not affect older iPhones running version 12.x or lower software, nor does it affect Android phones. So don't kill yourself trying to pair up your brand new iPhone to the Rider 550 - just wait patiently and hopefully TomTom will get this problem solved before the summer riding season.

Michael
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 17,062
    Superusers
    edited February 29
    Hi
    @Hobbes
    Hobbes wrote: »
    My rider 550 is doing my head in, I've purchased a map of the US and installed a memory card yet when I try to down load the map with the satnav on Wi-Fi and plugged into a charger it says oops something went wrong (Snip)
    When you say plugged into a charger is this a Mains powered USB Charger ???
    Or a USB port on a PC or Laptop ??? if it's a PC /Laptop AND the PC/Laptop has MyDive Connect running in the Background (The default setting is Auto start with PC Start)
    The the USB Connection will take priority over the Wifi Connection....

Check... Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Setting --> System --> About... Scroll down to Data Connection....

ATB YFM
  • HobbesHobbes Posts: 4 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I'm logged into my drive on the 550, wifi is connected and I'm plugged into an AC charger I have a 32GB memory card installed and when I try to download any map it just comes up with oops something went wrong try again latter
  • HobbesHobbes Posts: 4 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I've just done that and now it'd downloading the map, just need to see if I can get my money back on the map I purchased, I've never needed to format a memory card before, at the rate its down loading though It looks like it's going to take several days
  • ST1300_PanEuropeanST1300_PanEuropean Posts: 80 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    edited February 29
    Good to hear you got it going OK. Thanks for coming back to the discussion and letting us know you solved the download problem.

The maps are pretty big files (gigabyte-size) - the easiest thing to do is to just get the download going, and then leave the device alone overnight. If you have a really fast internet connection, the download can sometimes complete in an hour, but often, the home Wi-Fi router itself becomes the bottleneck. Even though you might have a really fast internet connection coming into the house, if you have an older router, it might not be able to pass data through as fast as the incoming connection can supply it.

Michael