No Maps error, SD card not recognised — TomTom Community

No Maps error, SD card not recognised

Hi,
For some reason one of my SMART52 updates went wrong a while ago. One of the maps seemed to be corrupted and repairing didn't work, so I decided to remove and reset everything and reformatted the SD card.

But now I seem to be stuck in a catch 22. There is a map ready to be downloaded from TomTom Connect, but it's too large for the system. I have reformatted the SD card but it is not recognised. Because the system now has no maps, i cannot format the card because I can't get any further into the menu than the No Maps message. Because I cannot format the card, I cannot download the map. Etc...

It's probably a simple thing to solve, but I can't figure it out. Help would be much appreciated!
Bart

Comments

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 6,364
    Superuser
    Hi @BartBMW

You will need @VikramK to add a small map to your account which will then load onto the internal memory using the No Maps Available route. Then you can format the SD card in the unit and download the normal map.

@VikramK will not be back on the forum until Monday now so have a look back then.

https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1034305/what-to-do-if-your-device-displays-no-maps-found/p1?new=1

Doug
  • BartBMWBartBMW Posts: 7 [Apprentice Seeker]
    I thought as much fom earlier threads. If he could do that, that would be ideal!
    No problem to wait until Monday.
    Thanks for your quick reply and have a great weekend if you get one :)
    Bart
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 10,433 Moderator
    Hi @BartBMW

Welcome to the community!

A smaller map of UK and ROI has been activated for your device. It should be offered for download in MyDrive Connect.

Regards,
    Vikram
    Dear @VikramK ,

Thank you for the UK map! I installed it - which went fine as far as I could see - and then I formatted the SD card in order to start using it.

However, now the system and TomTom Connect are stuck in some kind of eternal update loop:

TomTom Connect on the pc keeps restarting and "recovering". During this time, the system shows an error screen with an image of a monitor on the left with a red cross and the system on the right with a red warning triange. Then when TomTom Connect has been updated and "recovered", the system re-starts automatically, after which the thing goes back into the loop: TomTom Connect restarts... etc.

Any ideas on what seems to be wrong, and how I can solve it?

Bart
    Superuser
    Hi @BartBMW

If you take the SD card out does it work okay with the small map. If so do a Full Format of the Memory card on your PC, not a Quick Format, To Fat32 and then reinsert and format on the device again.

Doug
    Thanks @DougLap.

Almost there, I think.... Reformatted the SD card on the pc (not Quick Format) to Fat32. Reset the system. Then inserted the SD card, was asked to reformat it, I confirmed and the card is now ready.... according to the system....

But it is not recognised by TomTom Connect so I cannot install the Europe map on it. Did the whole thing again, same result.

Do you have ideas on what to do now: how can I get TomTom Connect to see the SD card so I can actualy use it?

Thanks,
    Bart
    Superuser
    Hi @BartBMW

If you

Tap Menu
    Tap the blue Question Mark is the extra memory card listed with available space.

Try a Soft Reset. Ie turn unit on and when working press and hold the On/Off button until you hear drumroll sound then let button go.

When you then connect to PC do you see the extra memory card when you open My Drive Connect software.

Doug
    Hi @DougLap,

Thank you. Yes, the card is listed as having 31 GB in the info menu on the system.

I did the soft reset as suggested but unfortunately the My Drive Connect software still does not "see" the SD card.

Bart
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 17,728
    Superusers
    edited March 4
    Hi
    @BartBMW
    NAV4 Devices... MyDrive Connect NOT offering the latest Map update…. See...https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1121585/nav4-devices-mydrive-connect-not-offering-the-latest-map-update

ATB YFM
  • LAURE123LAURE123 Posts: 1,619
    Superuser
    edited March 4
    Hi all

@BartBMW

You have the small UK map offered installed in the internal memory of your device. Now you have the option to choose the map location of the map if you have available space.

For your micro SD card look at this link and check if you have formatted it correctly for "Map" and Not "Track".
    https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1672598/#Comment_1672598

For MyDrive Connect (MDC):
    Login, click on the cogwheel at top right and check if MDC is correctly set. (see picture)
    Empty the download folder then "Save Settings".
    dv71ro00pvv5.png
    If you still have a corrupt map you must delete it. Repair doesn't really work often... it blocks the download of a fresh file.
    ==> Open the submenu of the map, in "My content" go down in "My Maps", click on the map picture, not on the button and choose "Uninstall".

To put the EU map on the micro SD:
    In MyDrive Connect, do not use "My updates and new items". You untick all items.

==> Open the submenu of the map, in "My content" go down in "My Maps", click on the EU map picture, not on the button and choose "Install on SD Card"

I hope this will work for you.

Regards.
    @YamFazMan: thank you for your answer, but unfortunately my problem is that the MDC doesn't even see the SD card installed on my system. So I'm afraid the solution that you linked to doesn't help me with the issue I'm having.

@LAURE123: thank you for your input too. I can confirm that I formatted the micro SD correctly for "Maps" instead of "Tracks". I emptied the download folder as suggested, but the problem persists: MDC doesn't see the SD card installed on my system.

Other solutions/suggestions much appreciated!
    Bart
  • LAURE123LAURE123 Posts: 1,619
    Superuser
    edited March 4
    @BartBMW

- You have the UK map installed in the internal memory. No red banner "No map" on the device.
    - You have empty the cache folder.
    - You do not have a corrupted map or you have deleted it with MDC.
    - Your Start52 is well connected to MDC, the green tick next to the name of the device.
    ... And you don't see the micro SD card like this in MDC. (see picture)
    a87liuudmwbi.png

You can try to format your microSD card in FAT32 with this software, approved by all the major brands of cards. See if it improves MDC detection.
    FAT32, "Full Format", "Allocation unit size" by "default", and without "Volume label" (blank).
    https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter/

Then in your TomTom device ==> go to the Main Menu (4Dots ....) / Settings / System / Format the memory card / choose the option "Map".

Maybe your micro SD has a problem try with another (microSD card class 10 of at least 16GB max 32GB, if possible a recognized brand, Samsung, SanDisk, etc ...)

Sorry but beyond that I do not see how to help you more.

Contact TomTom customer service for further assistance.
    Nederland (Holland)
    020 850 1022
    Maandag t/m vrijdag: 09:00 tot 17:30

Regards.
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 17,728
    Superusers
    edited March 4
    Hi
    @BartBMW

Try.... Removing the Micro SDHC Card and reformat it FAT32...
    Using the SD Card Association Memory Card Formatter
    (PC & Mac versions are available)
    Here... https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter/index.html

Reinsert the the Micro SDHC Card into the Tomtom device and Format it for Maps

ATB YFM
    Hi @YamFazMan,

You are correct in all your assumptions above. I just tried to install the formatting software but my pc is running on Windows 7 (hopelessly outdated, I know...).

I will go to my dad and use his Windows 10 machine to re-format the SD card using your suggested software and then try again. Will keep you posted!

BTW, it feels great having this support network here.

Bart
  • losbenitoslosbenitos Posts: 3 [Neophyte Traveler]
    VikramK wrote: »
    Hi @BartBMW

A smaller map of UK and ROI has been activated for your device. It should be offered for download in MyDrive Connect.

Regards,
    Vikram

@VikramK - Can you do the same for me please as I can't get past the "No Maps Available" to format my SD card and I only have the 9GB Europe Map available.

I'm not seeing the "additional zones in MyDrive Connect" which this post says I should: https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1114644/request-for-adding-a-smaller-map-due-to-a-sdcard-failure/p1

The real fix needs to be applied to the devices, where the format function is made available when no maps are found. One central fix rather than patching everyone's account with smaller maps..
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 10,433 Moderator
    Hi @losbenitos

I have added a smaller map of UK and ROI for your device. It should be offered as a download in MyDrive Connect.

Regards
    Vikram

@VikramK

Thanks, as it happens I was able to format the card on the TomTom Go 5000 without loading a smaller map.

Through juggling a combination of inserting a memory card, using the power button to toggle the device in and out of sleep (in order to temporarily dismiss the "No Maps" error), and tapping repeatedly on the screen over the format buttons I was lucky enough to be able to access them without them being blocked by the error.

A reboot of the device later the extra memory was immediately picked up by My Drive Connect and I was able to load the full map first time.

Now the devs just need to get on the case and stop the error from locking us out of our devices.
    Superuser
    Hi @losbenitos

Load the small map as well as the Full Europe as in the event of you having a problem during an update of your main map and lose the map as a result you will be able to run the device normally and resolve your problem with less difficulty.

Doug
    @DougLap Thanks, a good suggestion indeed.